Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 1 of 48
17 June 2013 at 7:09am | IP Logged 
I have just spent half the night on the wikia and added bits here and there (and learnt a lot about using it) but there is a lot of work to be done to make Wikia the number one resource for answering common questions.

Firstly, I just couldn't create a new category. I tried to create How to improve and practice your language and put Improving your listening comprehension (wanted article which I just wrote) inside. The category didn't show up. Any idea, please?

Other categories I think we need are Vocabulary learning and Grammar learning as those might be popular starting points. I think Who is who wouldn't hurt too as we often refer to people like prof Arguelles, Khatzumoto, Benny, Iversen and other legends in the forum.

There is a short list of Wanted articles on the wikia but I think it can be summed up and widened at the same time into these areas for now:
1.Reviews of most languages. Vast majority does have either no review or just a stub.
2.Reviews on individual courses and improvements to series reviews. (For example, I have tried to improve the TY profile. It could surely do with more additions. I plan to put there the one or two TY courses already reviewed somewhere on the wikia but there are plenty more that could do with commentary by someone who has used them. After all, there are often huge differences in quality of various courses by the same publisher). Adding links to other independent reviews would help as well.
3.Articles on various scripts
4.Articles on wider topics, such as phonetics or tonal language
5.Many others

A lot of articles could, and probably should, be done by diging in the forum and putting together the pieces of knowledge but it will require time. Not much if more people do bits here and there. Learning to edit the wiki is not hard as I have just proven. The basics are quite foolproof. But if you don't want to bother, I'll be glad to put your articles to their places for you. :-)

I think we are in a unique position with various members being discontent about the same questions being asked and answered again and again. So we might as well use it to get more done.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 2 of 48
17 June 2013 at 7:11am | IP Logged 
I wanted to add: Thanks to everyone who has been working on it. It is a great beginning and it surely wasn't easy to get it that far in that few people. Thanks

Edited by Cavesa on 17 June 2013 at 7:18am

1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 3 of 48
17 June 2013 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the reminder. I'll gradually move over the collaborative language profiles that I started here. In those profiles, I have a few comments about courses that I've used or at least checked out seriously, so feel free to take my comments there and add them in wikia's sections on courses (if you don't mind duplication).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 4 of 48
17 June 2013 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
I secretly hoped you would answer, Chung!

I was only modifying the Czech profile (added a few dictionaries and removed a lot of spaces in between lines to make it look better and bolded something like headlines) and I think I opened something in the French. Other than that, I have nearly no idea what is or isn't there. (mostly isn't now)

I wondered whether you would mind if I moved most of the courses (especially the highly frequented ones liky TY something) to their own pages, or together with the courses of the same series,and made a link from the language page? It hit me when going through the Czech profile that perhaps it might look more digestible and easy to use as a crossroads with links than so much information on one page. People are easily scared by long texts these days :-D

Of if you find it a bad idea just say so and I won't touch the sacred texts! :-)

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 5 of 48
17 June 2013 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
By the way, can you imagine how strange it was to find the Czech profile to be the most complete for now? Funny and strange.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 6 of 48
17 June 2013 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
I secretly hoped you would answer, Chung!

I was only modifying the Czech profile (added a few dictionaries and removed a lot of spaces in between lines to make it look better and bolded something like headlines) and I think I opened something in the French. Other than that, I have nearly no idea what is or isn't there. (mostly isn't now)

I wondered whether you would mind if I moved most of the courses (especially the highly frequented ones liky TY something) to their own pages, or together with the courses of the same series,and made a link from the language page? It hit me when going through the Czech profile that perhaps it might look more digestible and easy to use as a crossroads with links than so much information on one page. People are easily scared by long texts these days :-D

Of if you find it a bad idea just say so and I won't touch the sacred texts! :-)

As I said feel free to use the relevant commentary in the profiles whether that means you do cross-references/links or copy text wholesale. This kind of information is meant to be shared freely and to put perspective on what's out there since the glossy descriptions in the publishers' marketing material give little hint to the effectiveness of the courses' contents. The Czech and Polish profiles are already in wikia and so cross-references would seem logical anyway.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4609 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 7 of 48
17 June 2013 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
One thing that seems to be needed is a pointer to the Wikia from somewhere
obvious, both on or near the home page of the website as a whole, and of the forum. (If
there is one, I could not find it).

I have a feeling that that might be something only Administrator can do.

Can moderators make threads "sticky"? A sticky thread would be something.

Without doing some searching, I would have no idea where to find it, and I note there
isn't even a pointer to it in this thread. I'm not sure what beginners are supposed to
do. Especially if they don't have full access to the search facility, and they haven't
discovered the Google "site:" trick. That's if they know what to look for in the first
place.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5313 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 48
17 June 2013 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
In the other thread, we're using Learner FAQ page as a central access point for all the "Advice Center" questions. Once we fill this in a bit more, the moderators can make it sticky link at the top of the Advice Center.

At this point, we have a lot of good questions but not enough answers. But things are improving rapidly!

This discussion contains 48 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version