Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6364 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 25 of 32
28 October 2014 at 7:43am | IP Logged 
I'd use Lyricstraining a lot more if I could touch-type. As it is I feel I suck because I
can't type that fast. The best way for me to improve my scores would not be to improve my
language skills, but my typing skills. If not for this, I'd use it more. I've logged in a
couple of times and if nothing else it's a good way to find music in one's target
language.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 26 of 32
28 October 2014 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
So do you type faster on a touchscreen than a keyboard? :OOOOO

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6364 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 

Message 27 of 32
29 October 2014 at 7:49am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
So do you type faster on a touchscreen than a keyboard? :OOOOO

No, "touch typing" refers to typing
by touch alone, rather than looking at the keyboard while you type.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4691 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 28 of 32
29 October 2014 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Jeffers in another thread wrote:
Serpent wrote:
If you like gamified learning, try www.lyricstraining.com :) But note that you can't learn to listen solely through music.

Like you I used to recommend lyricstraining a lot, because I'd used it a couple times and thought it was pretty good. But when I tried to use it regularly I just found it frustrating and annoying. I'd rather just listen to music while reading the lyrics.

I'm curious, how often do you use lyricstraining, Serpent? You are probably their biggest supporter on HTLAL! :)

Not much anymore, actually. In the 6 week challenges my record was about 13 hours. But that was more or less when I first discovered the site. I found all the awesome songs out there and learned them. As long as they kept the total stats for registered users, I kept coming back every now and then, to play at a harder level or something. I've not been doing that since the new version came out, though I still check out the newly added songs occasionally.

Although I've found something I love in all my languages, Spanish is the king, as always :-) In European Portuguese and Dutch I basically mastered the 2-3 songs I loved and I keep checking. I also uploaded several Portuguese songs myself.

I mostly recommend the site for the following purposes:
-learning the basics of the pronunciation/spelling (although the site doesn't require diacritics)
-paying attention to details
-getting started with native materials
-discovering music in your L2

Of course it can also be used for learning the vocabulary and grammar. But I can see how, if you also use the more formal tools for that, it can make the use of music less fun. It does seem that for some learners a clear divide between "learning" and "fun" is helpful and productive (see this thread).

Nothing is for everyone. But I explained throughout this thread why I love lyricstraining :)

Thanks for your reply, Serpent. I liked lyricstraining on my first try because I immediately found a song I liked. But I find I really don't like most of the songs I find, so I don't bother very much. I did notice recently that the funny cat video Dansons la capicine has been uploaded. A great idea, but I can't believe the uploader listed it as easy, since they talk fast. I tried uploading a song myself; it took over an hour to do right, and they still haven't approved it after about a month.

Ari wrote:
I'd use Lyricstraining a lot more if I could touch-type.

Aren't you a programmer, Ari? (Or have I gotten the wrong idea?) It's not really hard to learn to touch-type. Get some simple software and you could learn the keyboard in a matter of weeks. Since you obviously type a lot, it should save you hundreds of times the time you invest in learning.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6364 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 

Message 29 of 32
30 October 2014 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Aren't you a programmer, Ari? (Or have I gotten the wrong idea?) It's
not really hard to learn to touch-type. Get some simple software and you could learn the
keyboard in a matter of weeks. Since you obviously type a lot, it should save you
hundreds of times the time you invest in learning.

I'm a mechanical engineer, actually, and I've tried to learn to touch-type via some
software, but:
1: It's stupendously boring, and I can't learn if I'm bored
2: I already type pretty fast, it's just that I need to look at the keyboard while doing
it. I've seen a lot of people who touch-type and they often need to delete and rewrite a
lot. I suspect I actually type faster than they do. But using lyricstraining, constantly
switching from looking at the keyboard to looking at the screen makes my times terrible.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 30 of 32
30 October 2014 at 8:37am | IP Logged 
Well, in the beginning your scores won't be perfect anyway. And when you already know the song, you can glance at the keyboard in advance to get ready.
I think lyricstraining can also include your typing skills btw :P Including specifically for typing in this or that language.

Edited by Serpent on 30 October 2014 at 8:38am

Mork the Fiddle
United States
Joined 3751 days ago

86 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 31 of 32
03 November 2014 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
Learning a language can be like putting together a jigsaw puzzle, except that you never get all the pieces. lyricstraining is only another piece, but it is a very useful one. Maybe I am indulging here in "simile-straining," but I hope it's clear that I think lyricstraining is an excellent idea. Thanks to lingoleng for the suggestion.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 32 of 32
15 July 2015 at 10:14am | IP Logged 
Lyricstraining has added Catalan, Turkish and Japanese Romaji!!!
The only downside is that now you can't choose all your languages from the list and browse for example the rock songs in all of them. You have to pick one at a time. But wow Catalan. (and there's one unofficial song in Galician)

Edited by Serpent on 15 July 2015 at 10:15am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version