32 messages over 4 pages: 13 4  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 32
18 June 2013 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
Finally wrote a wikia article about lyricstraining and music in general.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Illusion
United States
Joined 4083 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean

Message 10 of 32
26 June 2013 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
This looks like so much fun! Thank you!
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 32
06 March 2014 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
Thought I'd bump this thread to let y'all know that a new version of the site was released in February. It's still in beta and it seems like there will be more new features. I wrote about most of the changes in the wikia article too.
2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4117 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 12 of 32
07 March 2014 at 8:26am | IP Logged 
This is great, thanks!

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5057 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 13 of 32
27 March 2014 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
This may be a good chance to make clear that I no longer think this site is any good or useful. My 12-year-old niece had begged me to write about it, I was weak, father, forgive me.

My personal opinion is a different one:
Don't waste your precious study time on ridiculous game sites like lyricstraining.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4587 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 14 of 32
27 March 2014 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:
This may be a good chance to make clear that I no longer think this
site is any good or useful. My 12-year-old niece had begged me to write about it, I was
weak, father, forgive me.

My personal opinion is a different one:
Don't waste your precious study time on ridiculous game sites like lyricstraining.

Did your personal opinion genuinely change, or did you never mean what you wrote on 17
June 2013 at 12:02am?

If people can have a little fun with songs in their target languages, what can be wrong
with that?

In any case, I imagine people will soon make up their own mind about whether they are
finding it useful or not.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5358 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 15 of 32
27 March 2014 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
Is it called lyrics-training, because you train with lyrics of songs, or is it lyric-straining, because you strain your ears in order to understand a lyric?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 16 of 32
28 March 2014 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:

And my response is still the same: I always thought it was obvious enough that I don't mean replacing "study time" with lyricstraining. Unless your main goal is understanding music, no, it doesn't make sense. If you can spend 2 hours or more on *studying*, great, go for it! But make sure you won't burn out after two days. Things like the 6 week challenge exist because it's hard to study a lot when you're a beginner. And some don't like the idea of counting music for the 6WC.

But music is one of the best ways for beginners to start using native materials. Small victories are important. Procrastination in L2 is important. And if LyricsTraining is what you need to keep going, by all means use it. (I know this last argument applies to Rosetta Stone too, but LyricsTraining provides authentic content and helps you remember it, whereas RS is just the world's most expensive flashcard software) To quote Khatzumoto, sugar-coat your learning as much as needed.

However, if you can say something more detailed and specific than "this stupid gaming site is a waste of time!", I'll gladly mention this viewpoint in the wikia article.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version