Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5469 days ago

28 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 17 of 22
30 July 2014 at 9:56am | IP Logged 
You're going to be living there for 6 months to a year, so whose food do you like best? Consider that, it may be just
as important as the engineering program offerings.
1 person has voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5134 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 18 of 22
30 July 2014 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
To the original poster: if you are serious about landing a top level job like you want you should consider focusing all your extra effort on getting the best possible grades/resume coming out of college. You are going to a top notch school. Congratulations. Getting top notch grades and top notch engineering experience is going to be MUCH more valuable than learning another language. Learning a language takes a ton of time and I suggest thinking about putting that effort into becoming the best possible applicant for the position.

3 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_fontaine
Canada
learnlanguageso
Joined 3061 days ago

10 posts - 13 votes
Studies: Portuguese

Message 20 of 22
17 November 2015 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
If you want to be an automotive engineer, English should be sufficient. You could just come over to Windsor, ON in Canada and I'm pretty sure they only require you to speak English for such jobs there.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6198 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 21 of 22
21 November 2015 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
I have to second the people saying English. Learn other languages (now or later) if you want. The international language of engineering really is English. If you start really wanting to work with a particular company when you have solid engineering skills, and want to devote around a thousand hours to learning their language well enough that you can use it in hallway conversations (at work and at conferences), go for it. But it's really not a huge employability bonus.

Dina Livingston
Belarus
Joined 2452 days ago

2 posts - 1 votes
Studies: English

Message 22 of 22
18 July 2017 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
I am a spammer who spammed 20 threads which is why y'all think there is suddenly a lot of activity on the forum. However, you will soon find that no new posts appear in the threads as my spammy posts have been deleted by a tired old moderator.

Edited by Rhian on 18 July 2017 at 7:35pm

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version