9 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5105 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 1 of 9
14 April 2013 at 5:03am | IP Logged 
Has anyone actually ordered books form Hungarian online bookstores? I was looking at http://bookline.hu and it seems they charge 16 500 Ft (73USD) shipping charges for a single book to be delivered to the U.S.. That can't be right, can it?
1 person has voted this message useful

Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 6133 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Mandarin, Cantonese, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Persian, Hungarian, Kazakh, Swahili, Vietnamese, Polish

Message 2 of 9
14 April 2013 at 5:27am | IP Logged 
unfortunately some online stores insist on Fedex or something similar and you have to beg them to use ordinary mail and you have to assure them that almost nothing goes missing using ordinary mail and even if it does it isn't their fault so you won't complain...

I think that every Spanish online store I've looked at so far has horrendous shipping charges, so the same could be true of that one Hungarian one...

the worst thing is that the more major the website, the harder it is to find someone to reason with
2 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5105 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 

Message 3 of 9
14 April 2013 at 5:41am | IP Logged 
Perhaps, but still, 73 dollars is way, way too much even for Fedex.

Maybe I'm not interpreting the site right? I just tried adding two more books and the shipping charges didn't vary. If shipping charges are fixed regardless of the number of books purchased, that could be a workaround - just order several of them at a time. Romanian bookstores for instance charge around 25EUR for shipping no matter how many books are ordered, and you do get a tracking number. Nonetheless, 73USD is absurd and simply unaffordable.

What are some of the best Hungarian bookstores?

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5105 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 

Message 4 of 9
15 April 2013 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
I'm sorry to insist, but of all the users studying Hungarian, no one other than Budz has ordered books in their target language and can share some advice?

Thanks in advance.

Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 6133 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Mandarin, Cantonese, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Persian, Hungarian, Kazakh, Swahili, Vietnamese, Polish

Message 5 of 9
16 April 2013 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
I also ordered a grammar book with cd from Hungary. It was from the publisher, a university and I dealt with a human. It was a few years ago but I suspect the postage was normal.

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5105 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 

Message 6 of 9
17 April 2013 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Budz for your reply. I'm surprised none of our distinguished members has ordered books from Hungary.

In case anyone might be interested, I managed to place an order with Libri.hu. I ordered 8 books and shipping for each of them came to around 5USD - a manageable amount. If I understood correctly, they're supposed to be sent via UPS too. Not too bad overall.

I bought some books on economics, some literature, and a copy of Kató Lomb's Polyglot: How I Learn Languages in the original!

Their list prices are higher than those of Bookline.hu even after a discount due to a loyalty card program, but since Bookline.hu never replied to my inquiry email and their shipping charges appeared to be astronomical, I think I acquitted myself alright.

Altogether, of all the books in different languages that I've encountered, Hungarian ones are the most expensive, even more so than Japanese. I wonder why that is.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6916 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 7 of 9
18 April 2013 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
I haven't ordered from Hungary direct since I've either been able to pick up things in person while travelling there, or get a few items for which I didn't want to wait using Otto's European Import Store & Deli and (when it was in business) Blue Danube Gifts located on my side of the world.

There're also Pannonia Books (in Canada) and 10 Thousand Steps (in NYC) but I haven't dealt with them.

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5105 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 

Message 8 of 9
27 April 2013 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
There are not many readers on this forum it seems, but in case anyone might be interested in Hungarian books now or in the future, I can recommend Libri.hu unreservedly. They dispatched my order in just two or three days via UPS express, and it was delivered to the U.S. a couple of days later. I haven't received it in my home in Colombia yet, but I'm sure everything is correct.

Edited by Juаn on 27 April 2013 at 7:25pm

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version