Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6376 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 1 of 24
11 March 2013 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
I've recently been slogging away not just with language learning, but also with meditation. I've been playing with the idea of taking a longer time off (maybe 3-6 months) to go on a meditation retreat. I don't think that's even possible to do in Sweden and being a language enthusiast, I wouldn't want to, either. I've started to play around with Thai with an eye to going there on such a retreat, but I'm sure there are other countries where this sort of thing could be done and I'd like to consider my options before I commit. What languages would offer me an opportunity for this sort of thing?

Japanese? Vietnamese? Could I do it in India, so Tamil or Hindi? Anyone have any relevant ideas or experiences?
1 person has voted this message useful

leroc
United States
Joined 4105 days ago

114 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 2 of 24
11 March 2013 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
I had an Aunt who participated on some spiritual retreat on Shikoku island and around the Hiroshima area, she enjoyed it from what I heard (btw look it up, very beautiful part of Japan)

Edited by leroc on 11 March 2013 at 8:24am

FadedStardust
Diglot
United States
Joined 5401 days ago

19 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: German, Dutch

Message 3 of 24
11 March 2013 at 9:00am | IP Logged 
Taiwan would be another good choice. Beautiful island with many buddhist temples. You could use Mandarin and
use the opportunity to pick up some Taiwanese!

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6376 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 

Message 4 of 24
11 March 2013 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
Shikoku does look lovely, and I've been tempted to pick up Japanese for a long time, but isn't Japan really expensive? I've got some funds stored up, but I was hoping to not run them dry.

As for Taiwan, Mandarin doesn't interest me much anymore, but Taiwanese does, so that's a plus. But since I've already lived in Mainland China for a year, I'd rather try something a bit further away culturally (not saying it's the same culture, but they're close).

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 5 of 24
11 March 2013 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
What about Tibetan? Tibet ist the motherland of Buddhism and meditation. (Okay, technically, India is the motherland, but Tibet is important, too.)

Edited by Josquin on 11 March 2013 at 10:15am

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 6 of 24
11 March 2013 at 10:11am | IP Logged 
Perhaps South Korea?

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4152 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 7 of 24
11 March 2013 at 10:14am | IP Logged 
Is the climate important to you? Do you imagine yourself meditating in a hot or a colder place?

Edited by renaissancemedi on 11 March 2013 at 10:14am

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6376 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 

Message 8 of 24
11 March 2013 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
What about Tibetan? Tibet ist the motherland of Buddhism and meditation. (Okay, technically, India is the motherland, but Tibet is important, too.)

Yeah, Tibet is really tempting. I'm torn between the indosphere and the sinosphere at the moment. Picking an indosphere country (like Thailand) would mean something new, but picking a Sinosphere one (like Japan) would mean quicker learning and a deepening of my understanding of the sinographs. Maybe Tibetan would make for an interesting middle way? Sort of a bridge between the two spheres. I'm guessing it's influenced by both Literary Sinitic and Sanskrit? Also, being able to say I've studied meditation in Tibet would be pretty cool. :)

Though resources and media is something that worries me there. How much stuff is availible online in Tibetan? Does anybody know?

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version