Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Who speaks TL better - Kerry or Gingrich?

Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
39 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 35  Next >>
Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5140 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 25 of 39
01 March 2013 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Well I can only agree with the majority here: Kerry's French was good- not absolutely perfect - but good. The
Spanish sequence was painful to listen to. If I had been his teacher I would have died of embarrassment. If I
were to grade them on a scale from 1-10, I would have given Kerry an 8 and Gingrich a 1.

It is common among intellectuals, scientists and writers (and even politicians, whose currency is speech) who possess a high level of proficiency in a foreign language to nevertheless display terrible pronunciation, as this is seldom the priority or focus for most of them. In fact even though I believe my command of English is reasonably good, if I were to speak it it would not rank much higher than Gingrich's Spanish.

Listening to the entire video again, as a native speaker, there is nothing Gingrich said which I did not clearly understand, and as I stated before, besides euphony, it was delivered with coherence and in perfect agreement with the content of his speech, leading one to believe he indeed possesses at least some objective knowledge of the language. If I were his teacher -and without more information this is impossible to assess- I believe I should give him passing marks.

In the case of Kerry, I find his pronunciation also somewhat grating, though certainly to a lesser extent. For someone however who received a French-language education and spent time in a French-speaking environment -in his youth, no less-, this is a much greater indictment of his foreign-language merits and abilities.

Random review wrote:
Gingrich ... as I find his views quite repugnant.

So you're the reason why Western civilization has failed.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5578 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 26 of 39
01 March 2013 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
So you're the reason why Western civilization has failed.

Yeah, because the powerful all run their decisions by me before doing anything...

5 persons have voted this message useful

BrianDeAlabama
Groupie
United States
Joined 4314 days ago

89 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 27 of 39
02 March 2013 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
I was impressed with John Kerry's French! Wow! I never knew that about him. Now I have something nice to say
about the poor ole guy. ;) Gingrich's Spanish seemed to be read from a teleprompter. For someone to speak that
much Spanish they SHOULD have a better accent than that but IF he was not reading from some sort of screen then
I am truly shocked about his vocabulary range.

One politician that has shocked me with his ability to speak another language is Ron Paul. I've heard that man
speak Liberty FLUENTLY and with a native accent every time he spoke.    I know its already 2013 but I am so
tempted to shout Ron Paul 2012!!!! but I'll refrain since this is a apolitical, language forum. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 28 of 39
02 March 2013 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
There's a difference between "he understood what he was saying" and "he could've produced it himself".
1 person has voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6174 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 29 of 39
02 March 2013 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
Please, let's keep politics out of this thread.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5578 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 30 of 39
02 March 2013 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
There's a difference between "he understood what he was saying" and
"he
could've produced it himself".

True, but the same could be said of a lot of speeches made by politicians in their
native tongues!

Of course certain politicians (not naming any names) don't even understand much
of their speeches in their native tongues, let alone being able to produce it...or am I
misunderestimating them?

Now I know that most politicians aren't very sincere anyway, but if you don't even
understand what you are saying*, then logically it is quite impossible to
sincerely mean what you are saying, so if he chooses to address the Latino community in
Spanish about an issue that affects them and has any wish at all to seem credible, then
this is quite an important achievement on Gingrich's part.

*or at least think you do

Edited by Random review on 02 March 2013 at 11:19pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 31 of 39
02 March 2013 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
hehe true. I mostly meant this in linguistic terms. like, he may not know all the rules but he knows which word is which and what he is saying where. basically like Juan said earlier.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4925 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 32 of 39
03 March 2013 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
... leading one to believe he indeed possesses at least some objective
knowledge of the language.

I can only respond as a native English speaker that speaks Spanish, but I have to
disagree here.

His cadence, prosody, and physical demeanor - right down to arm movement and eyebrow
raising, come off as very rehearsed, and looking at his eye movement, a teleprompter
was used.

It may not be common knowledge, but teleprompters are set up to deliver all sorts of
communication hints to the speaker, including pronunciation and physical movement in
addition to just words.

R.
==

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version