Dagger
Diglot
United States
Joined 4127 days ago

5 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 1 of 2
01 February 2013 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
I am so pleased that I just had to share this with people who would understand. My group of friends don't get
my language fascination. I know you all do. :)

I have a penpal exchange partner who lives in Central America. She came to New Orleans to visit her family
members who live there. It also happened to be my birthday weekend. She invited me to come visit her. Her
family was kind enough to let me stay at their house as well. So there I went for the weekend...

My friend has a very basic level of English, so we talked in Spanish the entire 3 days. It was the longest I've
ever spoken only in Spanish. We spent one day in the French Quarter and it was so fun to translate menus
for her, etc. You can imagine the cultural shock when we turned the corner on to Bourbon Street.

It was a tremendous experience and my confidence in Spanish is through the roof right now. It inspired me to
come home and start really digging in to some of the nuances I've glossed over in the past. I'm getting very
close to native levels and I'm determined to punch through. Living in Florida, I have access to a large number
of native speakers, and I've been forcing every conversation into Spanish when I bump into people at the
supermarket, etc.

Thanks for listening!

7 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5056 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 2 of 2
01 February 2013 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
Excellent! That's what it's all about, Dagger, and welcome to the forum! When you learn to communicate in another language, it broadens your world and your mind. It is a wonderful thing to have given yourself, the power to communicate in another language, to reach out to and learn about other cultures in a way that is not fully available to monolinguals.
2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version