Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4153 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 1 of 6
20 January 2013 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
I searched for this topic, but didn't see a thread. If it exists please tell me.

Do you have a role model in terms of language learning? It could be a histolical person, a modern polyglot or your dad. Or maybe a sort of ideal in your head.

In my case, I was always impressed by people who had mad communication skills, that didn't necessarily mean too many languages, or languages as an end in itself.

I mean, I see my attempt in language learning as a means to an end, which is to read litterature that I admire in its native form. Also, an immersion to some cultures I am interested in, or an approach to a mood of certain historical eras.

I saw the film Lawrence of Arabia again last night, and I thought that what he was doing was definitely and absolutely defined by the fact that he could communicate in so many languages. I don't admire him at all, I am just saying. The power of knowledge!

Anyway, I don't have a particular role model myself, but what about you?
1 person has voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4431 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 2 of 6
20 January 2013 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
Luca & my first French professor who speaks 6 languages and teaches 3 of them in schools/universities across the US & Europe were my role models when I was first starting out. I wouldn't call them role models anymore though. I do still watch Luca's videos sometimes and keep in contact with my professor.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Jenne:)
Tetraglot
Netherlands
polyglotquest.wordpr
Joined 4262 days ago

38 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Norwegian

Message 3 of 6
21 January 2013 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
I do not have any role models, although I am impressed by some of the polyglots I have come across on Youtube. I admire their skills, but I do not see them as examples, as I do not know them and what their exact skills are. I am motivated by an ideal I have had since I was a small child: to learn to speak fluently as many languages as possible. It's a personal ideal I am working for and I am motivated by the fact that I know achieving this goal would make me happy and proud of myself.
2 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4417 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 4 of 6
23 January 2013 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
Like many British people who dabble in languages for the first time, I tried evening classes at the local college. My first tutor was from Belgium and spoke fluent Flemish, French, German and English. I remember being very impressed at this and wondered how someone could know so many languages.

Now of course, I realise that certain countries do provide frequent multi-lingual exposure and it's not uncommon to find someone from the low countries who speaks 2,3 or even 4 languages. Nonetheless, it is still an impressive feat to have such a good command of them all.

Australia does not have a good reputation for languages but many kids excel in several sports because the climate and facilities are right. Sporting achievement is vigorously promoted within the education system and reinforced solidly at home. So I think a lot does depend on the influences and expectations around you as you are growing up.

Edited by beano on 24 January 2013 at 3:36pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4153 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 5 of 6
23 January 2013 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
I was reading about the Heinrich Schliemann method of learning languages just now, and I admit I never knew about it. I knew about Heinrich Schliemann the archaeologist, but not about the languages aspect of his life. I am very impressed with his method. Is there a name for it, or a book or something?

Edited by renaissancemedi on 23 January 2013 at 3:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4434 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 6 of 6
23 January 2013 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
At university I had a professor of Italian who I sort of admired. He was a leading expert on Dante and other medieval writers, but apart from that he would also teach Romanian language and literature if anyone was interested (which did not happen often in Oslo at that time), and he also gave a course in Romansh. I was his only Romanian and Romansh student at the time. In addition he spoke French, German, English and Spanish, could dabble pretty well in Hungarian (from what he told me) and read Latin and Classical Greek without much need for a dictionary.

I will not call him exactly a role model, but he was the first person I met who opened my eyes to "polyglottery". He actually described himself as a "polyglutton". He had a big appetite for languages.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version