Heptaglot
France
Joined 4433 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 1 of 16
16 January 2013 at 11:21am | IP Logged 
BBC has an interesting article about puns - how they have developed through times and how people consider them.

Personally I love puns, and English, but also other languages like French, give ample opportunity for creating puns, not least thanks to the high frequency of homophones in these languages.

How about other languages out there? I don't know any Asian languages, so I would like to ask if e.g. Mandarin speakers are prone to creating puns? Maybe I am totally wrong, but I could imagine that tonal languages should give opportunities for it.

Edit: Just to add an example of the British way of making puns: They have found horse meat in some burgers in the UK. The Independent newspaper has collected the best gags from Twitter related to this story.

Edited by Ogrim on 16 January 2013 at 11:52am

1 person has voted this message useful

Ojorolla
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4759 days ago

90 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 2 of 16
16 January 2013 at 12:53pm | IP Logged 
In my country, using puns as joke is the easiest way to be branded gross, unfunny, behind the times. It may seem weird to some people in other culture, but it works like that in our culture, unless the puns are really bright ones. You'll get beaten and whatnot if you annoy people with your unfunny puns.

Here is a traditional pun in Korean -
When your children ask you how they were born, you can answer : "We picked you up under the bridge." This works because in Korean, 'bridge' and 'legs' are homonyms.

Edited by Ojorolla on 16 January 2013 at 12:55pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 3 of 16
16 January 2013 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
I love puns, those horse gags are brilliant. My Dutch compatriots do not seem to share my
ill-informed sense of humour, however.

Edited by tarvos on 16 January 2013 at 1:23pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4433 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 4 of 16
16 January 2013 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
I love puns, those horse gags are brilliant. My Dutch compatriots do not seem to share my
ill-informed sense of humour, however.

I think it suits the British sense of humour very well, which I am a big fan of. However, you do find puns in French (here it's called "calembour"). I remember a comics store in Brussels called "La bande de six nez" (the gang of six noses). When pronounced it sounds the same as "La bande déssinée" (comics).

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 5 of 16
16 January 2013 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I do enjoy calembours. But I seem to be the only one. I also enjoy British humour a
lot, so that makes sense for me.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5560 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 6 of 16
16 January 2013 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
Ojorolla wrote:
You'll get beaten and whatnot if you annoy people with your unfunny puns.

Here people will just sigh and moan and eyeball you for bad puns. An ex bf of mine had (probably still has) the habit of repeating stories and jokes he found funny, because they kept their entertainment value for him. For anyone else they were funny the first time he told them, but awkward to hear the second time (and following).
Many puns and especially spoonerisms are seen that way.

At least around me puns are usually made by people who think they are funny (which often makes them unfunny for others) or by people who consciously make a fool of themselves for comic relief.

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4128 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 7 of 16
17 January 2013 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
Japanese puns are called dajare, and they are dime a dozen thanks to the amount of homonyms that exist in the language. They're made up by linking two homonyms in a way that creates a funny (but often nonsensical) sentence. For example...

・「キムチ食った」と金、ちくった ("Kimchi kutta" to Kim, chikutta)
Lit. "Kim informed he'd eaten kimchi"

・日本猿が日本去る!(Nihonsaru ga Nihon saru!)
Lit. "The Japanese macaques are leaving Japan!"
4 persons have voted this message useful

Presidio
Triglot
United States
Joined 4375 days ago

39 posts - 150 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, German
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Gulf)

Message 8 of 16
17 January 2013 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 

The word "funny" in English can mean several things. Primarily it means humorous, but it can also mean strange, unusual, suspect, or questionable.

My favorite pun:

Two cannibals were eating a clown. One leans over to the other and asks, "Does this task funny to you?"

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version