Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Ezy Ryder’s endeavor (TAC’14-15 旅立ち、鵲、東亞)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
144 messages over 18 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 1 ... 17 18 Next >>
Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4108 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 1 of 144
30 December 2012 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
EDIT: TAC'14 starts at message #42 (page 6 by default).
EDIT: TAC'15 starts at message #98 (page 13 by default)

Maybe I shall start with saying a few things about myself. I’m an Aspie (I have Asperger’s
Syndrome), and since a while, my –closest to- “obsessive” interest tends to be language
learning. I started speaking my mother tongue (Polish) at a normal age, then beginning at the
age of seven I've had (not by my will) three years of German in my elementary school. The
teacher and the general approach to teaching the language ended up in me not being able to
speak German even at an A1 level. At the age of 10 the language I've had to study changed to
English, the teacher was a rather nicer person, and English was a much more useful language,
so this time I actually put some effort to learn the language. I don’t really remember how was I
learning, my best guess would be that I was learning mostly outside school, anyway, I felt
proficient –enough- before the end of the fourth year of study, which I would guess gave me a
good first experience with language learning. Then, in January 2010, after watching James
Cameron’s Avatar, I thought that learning Na’vi would be a good idea (let’s say Klingon was too
main-stream :) ). It was the first language I started learning by myself, and the first one I was
learning using only L2. That’s also where I found out my favorite way of learning languages. I've
tried Assimil and Lingq, but they just weren't my thing. I prefer to learn language by first
learning how to pronounce it (I don’t mean getting perfect at it), second, learning most often
used grammar and a few words to try it on, third, start learning most frequently used vocabulary
up to the point where I have a comfortable percentage of comprehension in my materials, and
then, finally, immerse myself into the language. By which I mean, to start looking for interesting
materials in the target language. As (for some reason) Lingq doesn't offer resources in Na’vi,
my only option was to use materials on the forum made for people learning this language. The
amount of text there isn't too big, and I haven’t yet got a chance to practice my speaking in this
language (outside my dreams) so I’m not really fluent in Na’vi quite yet. I would consider myself
two-and-a-half-lingual :)

Currently I’m studying Japanese. I’ve tried to start the process of learning by memorizing
Hiragana, and Kanji. I've learnt Hiragana, and then started learning twenty Kanji a day. Soon
the number dropped to ten… and then zero, at approximately 370th Kanji. My problem was
getting tired quickly, not doing enough reviews, and not seeing progress; maybe also the fact
that I started learning to read before learning to speak. About fifteen days ago I thought – I’m
going to try a new way to keep discipline, and learn to speak first. Now my typical day looks like
this: I review all of the words Memrise suggests and learn five new ones, then take a quarter of
an hour long break, where I do whatever I want (outside learning vocabulary). Then review
those five words, and learn five additional and take a break of the same length. The process
repeats itself until I reach fifty words. My teachers come to my house for the lessons, of which I
have a bit less than most of people at my age (seventeen), so I have plenty of spare time. While
before I wasn't able to keep learning for more than half an hour, last week I've spent one and a
half hours for studying per day on average. I didn't want to post here before finishing the N5
level, because sometimes, I tend to drop my “projects” before finishing them, but I've kept the
tempo for over two weeks, so I think I’m not going to drop learning Japanese anywhere near
soon.

My current plan is to get through Remembering the Kanji I (on Memrise) (starting from January
1), that shouldn't take much longer than a month, after that learn the N4 and N3 vocabulary. I
think that even if I won’t keep the tempo every day, I’m going to get to the N3 level before the
December test.

Thank You for reading, and sorry for such a long post.
Ps.: I won't feel offended if someone will correct my mistakes, no matter what the languages I've
been writing in.

Edited by Ezy Ryder on 03 January 2015 at 9:13pm

1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4627 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 2 of 144
30 December 2012 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your language studies, Ezy Ryder! What is Na'vi like? Is it modeled on any real language or completely artificial?

Japanese will surely test your patience, but as long as you're enthusiastic and a little obsessed about the language I'm sure you'll do well :)

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6379 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 3 of 144
31 December 2012 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
Hi, Ezy Ryder! Welcome to HTLAL.

I also have Asperger syndrome and study Japanese, so it will be interesting to follow your log.

Did I misunderstand, or are you schooled at home? I really wanted to be home-schooled when I was young, but I wasn't allowed. School was torture. I got kicked out for one year, so I was home then and didn't get to take that year at all, but other than that one year, I had to go.

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4108 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 4 of 144
31 December 2012 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
@druckfehler From what I've read, Na'vi isn't based on any human language, though similarities to
some are inevitable. It's quite fun, though one may have to get used to a bit more frequent (than in
some languages) glottal stops and infixes.

@Brun Ugle Yes, since the last few years I have lessons at home, though by teachers from a
regular school, so I'm not sure if that classifies as home schooling.

melkior79
Japan
Joined 4390 days ago

16 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Latin, French

Message 5 of 144
01 January 2013 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
Hi Ezy Rider!

Good luck with your Japanese study project!

If you keep going, you will get results!

がんばって ください!

Cheers Melkior

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6379 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 6 of 144
01 January 2013 at 7:13am | IP Logged 
Ezy Ryder wrote:

@Brun Ugle Yes, since the last few years I have lessons at home, though by teachers from a
regular school, so I'm not sure if that classifies as home schooling.

Close enough in my opinion. At least you get to avoid a bunch of obnoxious teenagers. I still get a little nervous whenever I see a group of them.

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4108 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 7 of 144
07 January 2013 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
So the first week of 2013 is nearing it's end... I thought I could write an update (weekly updates
seem to be a better idea than daily spamming).
The first day I've finished adding all of the 370 Kanji I already knew, and learnt the first group of
new Kanji (only 30, because I wanted the number to be even :) since then I kept the goal of 50
characters a day). As for this moment, I'm at 655 Kanji (I still have to learn another 45 today),
and I probably remember at least 80-90% of them. I review the Kanji about 15 minutes after
seeing it for the first time, and then again next day, occasionally twice next day, if I forget it. I
don't think I want to spend too much time on daily reviews, even though it's no longer really a
spaced repetition system, I think weekly "massive" reviews will do. And if I'll manage to keep that
tempo for the next 27 days, I should be able to review them just by reading something in the
target language, which should be a much more pleasant and easy to maintain process (if the
2042 characters in RTK1 actually make most of the most common ones).

Edited by Ezy Ryder on 07 January 2013 at 3:16pm

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6379 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 8 of 144
08 January 2013 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
If you have the latest edition, Remembering the Kanji will give you all the Jouyou kanji. If you have an older edition, then there are some kanji that were added in 2010 that are missing. Here is a supplement for those kanji in case you don't already have them in your book.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 144 messages over 18 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version