United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5191 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 105 of 246
23 February 2013 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
Neither can I, Johanna. There were a few hours the other day I couldn't even get on the site. Maybe they changed something. You could at least search by the universities I guess.
1 person has voted this message useful

JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4248 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, Italian
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 106 of 246
23 February 2013 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
Strange.. Thanks, searching for the universities worked.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5191 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 107 of 246
02 March 2013 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 

I found a really cool site called Daily Lit that has a few Spanish and French books. (Lots of English books, too, of course.) They break the book up into (daily) bite-sized chunks and send a little to your email box every day. You can choose how much you want sent to you every days (normal, x2, and x4). For example, Don Quixote has 450 installments, Candide has 30, David Copperfield has about 450.

It looks like a really neat way to read something you wouldn't normally find the time for. I've signed up for the Don Quixote and Le Tour du Monde en Quatre Vingts Jours. (They have both the English and the French, so it is really ideal for French students.) And War and Peace. I love Tolstoy.

Most of the stuff there is no longer under copyright, and a lot of them are classics. They've only got a handful of stuff in Spanish and Italian, but a little more in French and German. I'll try it for awhile and see how I like it. :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5191 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 108 of 246
02 March 2013 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
Super Challenge Update
the halfway point

Spanish 62%
100/100 films
019/100 books

I've finished all the movies (lots of TV shows, actually). I'm been pleasantly surprised at how much it's helped my listening comprehension. I've always been a book person and hadn't ever focused on that before.

Officially, I have read 19/100 books. It's really more like 23-24, since I am in the middle of two books, and I only count them when I am finished. I started writing down vocab a few months ago, and adding it to Anki and making that a priority. It's amazing how much I have learned. (Who knew how much vocabulary was in Harry Potter books!?) I've been looking for something like Pixel of Ink (which sends me an email every day with free ebooks on Amazon) for Spanish, but I haven't found anything. I have a tendency to pick long, complicated books, and it would be nice if I could find some surprise quick, easy reads. There has to be something out there. If anyone knows of anything like that, please share. :)

French 48%
85/100 films
03/100 books

I'm almost finished with the films, and not even close on the books. I've signed up for Le Tour du Monde en Quatre Vingts Jours from Daily Lit in both French and English. I also got my Paperwhite Kindle a week or two ago, along with a handy French dictionary, so I will be starting something French on that soon. I just can't decide what to read.

Italian 42%
33/50 films
01/50 books

Croatian 12%
12/100 films

Portuguese
1/100 films

So I am in good shape with Spanish. I need to start reading in French. Those are the two important ones.

With that little pesky thing called life getting in my way right now, I'm not sure about the others. In another month or two, if things settle down, we'll see. Spanish and French are the most important, though, and I'm still aiming to finish both of them.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 109 of 246
02 March 2013 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
i've been thinking that this challenge is my chance to read tolstoy...
and ohhh great site! it has Italian and German stuff too:)

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5191 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 110 of 246
02 March 2013 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
So February is over, and I am not even going to look at the goals I set for myself. Life has not treated me kindly this year. I am still studying, but it has been mainly Spanish, French, and Russian.

I am not setting any goals for March. I need to focus on job hunting, getting everyone healthy, and all the rest of the fun stuff life has thrown at me recently. I will of course continue studying when I can, and trying to keep up with everyone's logs. (Which is difficult, since half of the time I CAN come read logs, I can't even get the site to load!)

To those of my teammates who are dealing with (life) things right now - and I know at least a few of you: Hang in there. Worry about life first, and languages second. Take care of yourself and the people in your life first. Our target languages will be there when things settle down and get worked out.

This is one of my favorite songs, and it's a reminder that we will get through things.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5191 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 111 of 246
02 March 2013 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
i've been thinking that this challenge is my chance to read tolstoy...
and ohhh great site! it has Italian and German stuff too:)

Not much Italian, but a fair amount of German.

How would Tolstoy help you for the super challenge? You should add and Advanced SC in English. :)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 112 of 246
02 March 2013 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
no way :P
well i've been thinking of reading him..don't know in which language. but in one of my SC ones obv:)

This discussion contains 246 messages over 31 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version