United Kingdom
Joined 4163 days ago

7 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: Hungarian
Studies: Estonian, German, Russian

Message 1 of 4
03 December 2012 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
Hello all,
        I have an idea for all those learning Hungarian. I translate Hungarian literature into English as a hobby, that is, I do not do it for money. (this is the real world, after all!) My favourite authors are Orkeny Istvan, Ottlik Geza, Frigyes Karinthy and a few other to boot. I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who would like to do a joint translation of any Hungarian writer. In particular, the "one-minute novels" of Orkeny really lend themselves to this as they are often only one or two pages, in addition to being fantastic pieces of work.
If anyone would be interested in this, then drop me aline.
Addig, mindent jot kivanok mindenkinek.
Steven
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gosiak
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4907 days ago

241 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Norwegian, Welsh

Message 2 of 4
03 December 2012 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
Hey and welcome to the forum.

I do not study Hungarian but I do have two questions. What do you do with completed translations? Do you translate works that haven't been translated?

Good luck.

1 person has voted this message useful

A boldog eb
United Kingdom
Joined 4163 days ago

7 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: Hungarian
Studies: Estonian, German, Russian

Message 3 of 4
04 December 2012 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
Hello from Sunny Scotland!

I keep the translations for myself. I can use them to look back at my own level of understanding and it is often surprising to see how little/much I got from any given text at the time. The first book I attacked was given to me by a Hungarian friend with this advice "You must chew your guts out with this beast!" Due to my very poor knowledge of the language at that time, I must have look up 20-30 words per page of text for the first 120 pages; I suffered greatly. However, 5 years later I can read this very same book freely without recourse to the many pages of words I looked up from my battered dictionary.
In answer to your second question, yes, I tend to translate material that has not been (to my knowledge) done yet. As your are Polish, you will know that there are many great works from Central and eastern Europe that will never see the light of day unless someone like yourself takes it upon thenselves to translate them without knowing if they will ever be published.I wouls also say that the selection of translated books is poor in the U.K; luckily we have our own ways to get around this situation.
I hope this was helpful.
Best regards

maxval
Pentaglot
Bulgaria
maxval.co.nr
Joined 4854 days ago

852 posts - 1577 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, Bulgarian, English, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Latin, Modern Hebrew

Message 4 of 4
12 December 2012 at 8:29am | IP Logged 
A boldog eb wrote:
Hello all,
        I have an idea for all those learning Hungarian. I translate Hungarian
literature into English as a hobby, that is, I do not do it for money. (this is the
real world, after all!) My favourite authors are Orkeny Istvan, Ottlik Geza, Frigyes
Karinthy and a few other to boot. I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who
would like to do a joint translation of any Hungarian writer. In particular, the "one-
minute novels" of Orkeny really lend themselves to this as they are often only one or
two pages, in addition to being fantastic pieces of work.
If anyone would be interested in this, then drop me aline.
Addig, mindent jot kivanok mindenkinek.
Steven

Write if you need help.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version