tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5548 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 25 of 37
31 October 2012 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
I think the 'social behavior' mentioned by druckfehler has a far greater relationship to language than the outside markings of culture such as music, food, art, et al. I'd even say that this is important at the beginning levels of language learning, and not just at the advanced / fluent level.

The way social behaviour and relationships are expected to work is culture. Of course, it's more fundamental and at the same time more difficult to learn than trivia.
Common experiences are culture. They differ in different generations and subcultures, but usually one generation does have at least an inkling of the common experiences shared by another generation, because they were told stories, or watched and observed.

nimchimpsky wrote:
People don't exist in a vacuum. Being Dutch is a part of me. Being able to buy a drink or chat about the weather is not enough to establish a lasting relationship. There is simply not enough to talk about.

Yet, inter-cultural competence doesn't mean that I understand what being Dutch means to you, it means that I can ask you the right questions so that you feel at ease with sharing some of your experience with me, and exchanging how our experiences were similar, and how they were different. Other topics to talk about tend to evolve from getting to know another individual better, not from stereotyping them better.
4 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5314 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 37
31 October 2012 at 2:08am | IP Logged 
nimchimpsky wrote:
No one in Anglo-Saxon culture will expect you to know every song of Justin Bieber, but they might expect you to know who Justin Bieber is and what kind of music he makes.

I'm a native English speaker who lives in the US. Until I read this thread, I knew that (1) somebody named "Justin Bieber" or something like that existed, and (2) that he might be popular musician or something like that—but he might also be an actor or some inexplicably famous person like Paris Hilton.

I also have no idea who the Kardashians are, though I doubt they're an alien race on Star Trek, which was my first guess.

I have finally discovered that Lady Gaga exists, but only because Weird Al made a parody of her, and her agent was a jerk about it. I've heard maybe two of her songs, both of which were fairly catchy. And every few years, I discover a popular film that everybody saw 20 years ago, and finally get around to enjoying it. For example, I think I first watched Dirty Dancing in 2002.

If you asked my friends about me, they might say something like, "Yeah, he can be pretty ignorant about pop culture." But none of my them would say that I'm not a fluent speaker of English.

3 persons have voted this message useful

nimchimpsky
Diglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 5393 days ago

73 posts - 108 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English

Message 27 of 37
31 October 2012 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
nimchimpsky wrote:
People don't exist in a vacuum. Being Dutch is a part
of me. Being able to buy a drink or chat about the weather is not enough to establish a
lasting relationship. There is simply not enough to talk about.

Yet, inter-cultural competence doesn't mean that I understand what being Dutch means to
you, it means that I can ask you the right questions so that you feel at ease with
sharing some of your experience with me, and exchanging how our experiences were
similar, and how they were different. Other topics to talk about tend to evolve from
getting to know another individual better, not from stereotyping them better.

Stereotyping? What a narrow view of culture. Knowing your culture doesn't mean that you
accept its values uncritically but you have to know it in order to change it. Over time
the fringes can become mainstream.

I also think you still underestimate the need for general topics to talk about. My
Sister-In-Law is Hungarian and she likes to learn everything about Dutch politics so
that she can join in conversations at parties. Knowing a culture enables you to speak
not just to a few but to the entire country. However, it is of course a legitimate goal
to be able to speak fluently about a specific subject but cultural knowledge can be
truly enriching for learners.

By the way, I am using a very broad definition of culture. To me it is any unit of
information native speakers assume you know which enables you to understand messages
intended for a general audience.

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 28 of 37
31 October 2012 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
SamD wrote:

What good is it to be able to speak seven languages if you have nothing worth saying in
any of them?

I think this says more about the person than the culture really. If you've got nowt worth
mentioning, methinks that's a different problem to solve (the only question remains why
you would speak seven languages in that case - my only hypothesis is to pick up foreign
chicks).

Edited by tarvos on 31 October 2012 at 10:31am

aokoye
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5323 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, Japanese

Message 29 of 37
31 October 2012 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
Even without pinning down an agreed upon meaning of culture my responce to the origional question would
be no, you don't need to know the culture to be "fluent" in the language. I say this primarily becuase there
isn't just one univeral culture per language, especially in languages that are spoken in any different countries
or along vast swaths of areas.

I am fluent in English (it's my first language) and yet I know next to nothing about Australian culture despite
the fact that English is the default language of Australia (to the demise of Maori language).
1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5044 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 30 of 37
31 October 2012 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
aokoye wrote:
I am fluent in English (it's my first language) and yet I know next to nothing about Australian culture despite the fact that English is the default language of Australia (to the demise of Maori language).

Maori is a language of the native Maori peoples in New Zealand, not Australia. Case in point.

Edited by iguanamon on 31 October 2012 at 1:01pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

nimchimpsky
Diglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 5393 days ago

73 posts - 108 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English

Message 31 of 37
31 October 2012 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
aokoye wrote:
Even without pinning down an agreed upon meaning of culture my responce
to the origional question would
be no, you don't need to know the culture to be "fluent" in the language. I say this
primarily becuase there
isn't just one univeral culture per language, especially in languages that are spoken
in any different countries
or along vast swaths of areas.

I am fluent in English (it's my first language) and yet I know next to nothing about
Australian culture despite
the fact that English is the default language of Australia (to the demise of Maori
language).

In that case you are not fluent in Australian English. My Grandmother is not fluent
anymore in modern Dutch due to cultural changes. That's because she doesn't share the
same cultural assumptions most natives take for granted. When I say to her: 'I'm a
postman' she thinks I have a high status and well paid job, which it used to be when
she was young, but nowadays it's a low status and poorly paid job. So she gets a
totally wrong impression of me when I say that I'm postman. I can of course explain all
this but when I have to give lengthy explanations and adapt my speech I am no longer
speaking to a native but to a learner.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 32 of 37
31 October 2012 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
That has nothing to do with fluency but with the Zeitgeist changing.

Edited by tarvos on 31 October 2012 at 4:39pm

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version