Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4463 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 9 of 11
02 November 2012 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
If you study medicine, you are likely to have contacts with patients (from the 3rd to the 6th year of the course). Many Finns (if not most), especially when in pain will prefer talking to their doctors in Finish, not in Swedish, not in English. ;)

Foreign students here in Croatia learn Croatian to communicate with patients (even those who enrolled in the English medium medical school, and not Croatian medium medical school).

So, if you go to Finland, you should not resist Finish. ;)

Edited by Medulin on 02 November 2012 at 9:32am

1 person has voted this message useful

Vigmo
Diglot
NorwayRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4338 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Finnish

Message 10 of 11
02 November 2012 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
I haven't found any book for norwegians learning swedish, but I found the book you
mentioned for swedes learning norwegian. That might help abit. Got some swedish books
yesterday and reading them is easy.

I want to atleast understand finlandssvenska and communicate with them fluently. But I
think they understand ordinary swedish and from the radio it seems easy to understand
them aswell. THank you for the radio suggestion:)

I want to be able to study medicine in finnish(with or without some in swedish) because
that would raise my confidence in finnish to near fluent. Because right now me and my
girlfriend are not sure if we'll end up wanting to live in Finland or Norway or both.
So I have an excellent teacher in her and I have no problems working abit while
learning finnish a few years, then spending 6 years on medicine.But I agree, it would
be easier in English or swedish. But life isn't always about the easy choice.

And I don't resist resist finnish, I love finnish!

Thanks for all feedback, still brainstorming what I'll end up doing.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 11
02 November 2012 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
The thing is that it would take quite long to reach the level where you can study medicine in Finnish. I was near fluent way earlier than I'd be able to do that. Getting confidence is easier than you think:)
If you make sure to look up the Finnish terms for everything you study, you'll know more or less enough to communicate with patients.

There's also been this thread dealing with medical vocab/using your L2 as a doctor.

Edited by Serpent on 02 November 2012 at 2:24pm

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version