19 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 1 of 19
26 October 2012 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
I really think that the key points of the everlasting discussion of "should I learn two languages at a time?" should be summarized in a wikia article. Any suggestions for the format? I think the pro and contra format would be the best solution, although perhaps more like benefits/warnings/limitations etc. I'd also prefer if the contributions could be signed, like on discussion pages. Ie just writing
Serpent: blablabla
blablabla

rather than

Some people say blablabla
blabla blabla.

If anyone actually wants to work on that article, you're free to use any of my posts for it:-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 19
29 March 2013 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
I think it would be nice to start with some "universal truths" about language learning. Like:

Should I learn a few languages at the same time?

"It depends" is the answer to most questions in language learning. Even for the same person, the circumstances, the goals, the opportunities change. They vary even more between people. Everyone is different.

Experimenting is the only way to know for sure. The worst case scenario is not spending your time efficiently enough.

////what next? maybe some typical reasons, both to want to study a few languages at the same time, and the reasons why you might be wary of that? such as: I'm afraid of mixing them up. I have to study X at school, but I'm more interested in Y. etc. would anyone want to address some of the concerns, especially someone from the "one language at a time" camp? it's perfectly fine (with me) if you formulate a common reason/objection yourself and then expand on it/debunk the myth.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 4 of 19
21 May 2013 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
should there maybe be separate articles about "should i learn a few langs at a time?" and "how to"?

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5292 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 19
21 May 2013 at 12:36pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
would anyone want to address some of the concerns, especially someone from the "one language at a time" camp? it's perfectly fine (with me) if you formulate a common reason/objection yourself and then expand on it/debunk the myth.

OK, here's something for the "con" side:

For a first time language learner, there are some advantages to focusing on one language, at least at first:

1. Intermediate plateaus can be frustrating the first time you learn a language, and some focused effort may be just what you need to advance.
2. Once you've reached a decent level, you've learned how to learn, and you'll be more confident about learning any future language.
3. Fluent languages are easier to maintain, because you can use them casually.

Feel free to debunk these, of course. :-)

Edited by emk on 21 May 2013 at 12:37pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 6 of 19
21 May 2013 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
excellent! now can anyone maybe write a small paragraph for each of these, or use your own relevant posts from the past?

no debunking but just a side note for #3.

Side note: You can use a non-fluent language casually. There are several variables here: your tolerance for ambiguity, your guessing skills and understanding of linguistics, and naturally the language itself. With related languages, some people do this without even considering themselves learners of the language - most notably the Scandinavians, but to a lesser extent also the native speakers of Portuguese that have exposure to Spanish. The easiest kind of "casual" practice is perhaps music.
(link to an article that i keep planning to write, about using music in your studies - lyricstraining and so on)

Edited by Serpent on 21 May 2013 at 9:14pm

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4769 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 7 of 19
22 May 2013 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
Hmm. Just drafts of two parts I could imagine:
What to consider before attempting to learn 2 (or more) languages at once:

1.Do I have enough free time for this or am I already taking from my other life as much
as I can?

2.Will I get discouraged by slower progress in both compared to putting the time in
just one?

3.How good am I in my "older" language when I consider taking on another?
-fluent or advanced, relying mostly on native sources now: there shouldn't be much
trouble
-intermediate:could work well, unless my new exciting adventure leads me away from the
boring plateau too often :-)
-both beginner:will I get bored by doing quite the same beginner activities in both? am
I likely to mix them too much?

4.Are those two languages similar?
-from the same language family (for example Spanish and French or Russian and Polish):
if the "older" language is at intermediate or higher level, many learners find taking
on a similar one much easier. when both at the beginner level, it tends to be confusing
for many learners, even though there are some who experience no such trouble
-more loosely related: less danger of mixing them up but fewer ways they can support
each other as well

Possible outcomes of learning two languages at once:

1.Good level of both languages, the ideal outcome.
2.Good level in one but the other got put aside on the way or just doesn't stick
3.Progress in both languages but far from the desired level you could have gotten had
you chosen one
4.Less progress in both and/or abandonment of the whole project due to burnout or
because choosing two languages was just a sign of underlying wanderlust trouble.

5 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 8 of 19
22 May 2013 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
YAY! i'm always sad when you complain your posts are too long :P

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version