United Kingdom
aspiringpolyglot.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4388 days ago

40 posts - 62 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanB2, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Esperanto, Polish, Scottish Gaelic, French

Message 1 of 5
23 October 2012 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
I've been studying German for the past year or so and I've hit a brick wall with regard to usable content.
Everything is either too easy or too difficult. This wouldn't bother me so much if it weren't for the fact that I'm
moving to Germany in around 3 weeks or so...

My ultimate question is: Does anyone know of any good resources (free or reasonably cheap) for intermediate
German... say around B2 level?

I'm not so focused on grammar explanations etc because I've got a ton of books dedicated to German grammar...
I'm more interested in words!

Any interesting content would be good but if anyone knows of any content centering around technology, music,
film, that'd even better.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by aspiringplyglot on 23 October 2012 at 5:52pm

1 person has voted this message useful

overscore
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4374 days ago

23 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: French*, English, German

Message 2 of 5
23 October 2012 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
Books you are already familiar with.
Ideally, difficulty of a work shouldn't matter, but when you hit the wall of text..

Dunno, if you leave in 3 weeks it might not make too much sense ordering off Amazon, but maybe Comics/mangas would work too?

z.B Ich habe "One Piece" auf Amazon bestellt, das klingt nach spaß und scheint leicht zu verstehen :-).
Ich möchte auch ein paar bücher zum Thema Linguistics lesen, wie zum Beispiel "Das glücklichste Volk" von Everett. Es geht um die Pirañas und deren Sprache.

Falls du etwas interessant findest, bitte hier posten :-)

Edited by overscore on 23 October 2012 at 9:12pm

Shantaram
Diglot
United States
Joined 5061 days ago

19 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Hindi, German

Message 3 of 5
24 October 2012 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
ich lese gern die Asterix Comic-Bücher, ich würde sie unbedingt empfehlen.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Γρηγόρη
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4266 days ago

55 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*, Greek, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: German, French, Russian

Message 4 of 5
25 October 2012 at 4:34am | IP Logged 
There's a really enjoyable graded German reader from the '60's titled "Hör gut zu!" by Gerard F. Schmidt. It has
about 20 short stories divided into 3-4 readings each and interspersed with grammar review. All new words are
glossed on the facing page the first 3 times that they appear. I think that the level, at least after the first few
stories, is about what you are looking for. You can usually find old copies on Amazon or Alibris.

Spinchäeb Ape
Diglot
United States
Joined 4281 days ago

146 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: English*, German

Message 5 of 5
27 October 2012 at 5:55am | IP Logged 
I would suggest German language Mad Magazine or German comic books (as the other person suggested). That's what I used when I had studied German about a year, but wasn't good enough to comprehend adult newspapers and magazines. Mad and comic books typically provide illustration and hence a lot of context.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version