Japan
Joined 6871 days ago

681 posts - 724 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Korean, French

Message 49 of 150
12 February 2006 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
Cthulhu wrote:
the educational systems as well as society at large are still massively geared towards the traditionally taught languages (French, Spanish, German, Latin, etc).

This is not the case here in Western Australia. Sure, a lot of schools tend to offer Italian because of our large Italian population and French and German are minority languages as far as schools are concerned. Whereas virtually every school in this area has Japanese, Indonesian, or Mandarin - sometimes two of the above - and also to a lesser extent Vietnamese.

I was lucky enough to study French at primary school, but when it came to high school, my first school had Italian and Japanese and my second school had Japanese, Indonesian, and German.
1 person has voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6737 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 50 of 150
12 February 2006 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
Cthulhu wrote:
Besides popularity ..., what kind of criterion for judging the importance of a language could you use

1. For an individual, firstly, based on how much he needs the language to make a living in his chosen profession, and secondly, whether he feels he needs the language for the more frequent recreational travel and entertainment to the extent that not knowing the language would have a noticeable impact on his quality of life.

2. For a country, whether it is important to have significant skills in the language among the population in order for the nation to prosper.

Edited by frenkeld on 12 February 2006 at 10:44am

Cthulhu
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 7017 days ago

139 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Mandarin, Russian

Message 51 of 150
12 February 2006 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
^I've repeatedly indicated that I'm talking about importance in the general sense, not the parochial; not importance *to* an individual person or country, but overall, in an objective sense, the big picture. On a global scale, for a planet instead of an individual or a country, what kind of criterion for judging the importance of a language would you use?

Andee: I didn't realize Australia would be such an extreme exception, though I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Still, that's all it is, an extreme exception, a good start but still just a tiny corner.
2 persons have voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6737 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 

Message 52 of 150
12 February 2006 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
Cthulhu wrote:
I'm talking about importance in the general sense, not the parochial; not importance *to* an individual person or country, but overall, in an objective sense, the big picture. On a global scale, for a planet instead of an individual or a country, what kind of criterion for judging the importance of a language would you use?

I consider this an ill-posed question. There is no other world language besides English right now, and until that changes, which it may, all other languages are going to be only regionally important. Perhaps it is very parochial of North America, South America, and Europe to feel little need for the Chinese language right now, but that's the way it is.

Australia, by the way, seems to be simply following the pattern found elsewhere of emphasizing regionally relevant languages, aside from English, in their educational system.

Cthulhu
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 7017 days ago

139 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Mandarin, Russian

Message 53 of 150
12 February 2006 at 2:24pm | IP Logged 
^ I don't feel it's such an ill-posed question. All languages are world languages, English is just foremost among them. There's no reason you can't compare other languages on the same scale by the same factors; they'll all fall far short of English of course, but you can certainly establish their position relative to each other.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6737 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 

Message 54 of 150
12 February 2006 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
Cthulhu wrote:
I don't feel it's such an ill-posed question. All languages are world languages, English is just foremost among them. There's no reason you can't compare other languages on the same scale by the same factors; they'll all fall far short of English of course, but you can certainly establish their position relative to each other.

It is ill-posed in that people in different regions come up with different answers. So, to decide on the "absolute" answer, you have to rate the relative significance of the opinions of people in different regions, a question the answer to which may also end up depending on the region!

Even if we simply try to come up with some sort of weighted average, taking into account the size of the economy, population, number of countries where spoken, how many want to study it as a second lanaguage, etc., we can argue indefinitely on what the right weighting of the varios factors is. And then we can get into an argument of whether to use just the present-day figures or account for future potential as well.

So, I really feel that it is not well-determined what the second language is right now in any absolute sense. Mind it, I am not saying China as a country is not important, I am only discussing the importance of the Chinese language, at the present moment, outside China itself.

Skandinav
Hexaglot
Denmark
Joined 6681 days ago

139 posts - 145 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English, German, Russian, Swedish, Norwegian

Message 55 of 150
12 February 2006 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
I would say that on a global scale English is (becoming) a lingua franca, which is something else than a foreign language (e.g. Japanese)
All other languages are regional languages and within any given context subordinate to English. Even to a Mongolian or a Nepalese English is as important as Chinese Mandarine.
In a European context, for example, I would rate Chinese Mandarin after English, German, Russian and French. Probably somewhere on line with Arabic and Japanese.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6737 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 

Message 56 of 150
14 February 2006 at 10:23am | IP Logged 
Skandinav wrote:
In a European context, for example, I would rate Chinese Mandarin after English, German, Russian and French. Probably somewhere on line with Arabic and Japanese.

The US neighborhood is not as language-rich as Europe, and Spanish is pretty much the only major local/regional foreign languge. This leaves more room for non-European langagues, and the study of Mandarin is in fact growing quite sharply. Even in my not very big city (Tucson, Arizona - with suburbs, the population is about 850,000), there are now a few schools that will teach Mandarin from early grades, and I've read about such schools in North-East.

It remains to be seen how popular Mandarin will become. My guess is that if it results in genuine, rather than hypothetical, economic opportunities for individuals, its teaching will increase substantially. Otherwise, European languages (Spanish aside) may remain more popular, aided by the heritage of the US residents.

Edited by frenkeld on 15 February 2006 at 8:56pm

This discussion contains 150 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version