Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4623 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 9 of 12
30 August 2012 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
@Dagane: Your plan sounds fine to me. Get stuck into the German now, then get stuck into
the Dutch when you get there. You'll be fine, I'm sure!

EDIT: BTW, I'm impressed that you passed a job interview in English. My son recently had
a job interview in Spain...but that was also in English! :)
(admittedly, his working language in that organisation would be English).

Edited by montmorency on 30 August 2012 at 10:05pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Dagane
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4306 days ago

259 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishB2, Galician
Studies: German
Studies: Czech

Message 10 of 12
04 October 2012 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
Hello again!

I was about to do so, as montmorency points out. However, the situation has changed. I think it's better now.

Conversely to what I have expected, I've got a grant to work in the Netherlands. This grant includes, if I ask for it, the possibility to get paid a language course. The language must be either the language used at work or the country's language. In my case the first one is English and the second one is Dutch.

I'm already taking both English and German courses. So I think it would be a good idea to lay aside English while living in the Netherlands and take Dutch. I'd go on with German because I'd like to get the A1 certificate in September. I can't pay for a Dutch couse before going abroad because of two reasons. First, I've neither time nor willing to tackle another language at the same tiem, and second... there're no Dutch courses taught close to here!

EDIT
It's rare your son had an English interview!! Here, you can get a better job by knowing English in some fields, but in Spain there's no a good level of English, so if your son is going to work here that's pretty strange, although the English level surely depends on the regions.

Edited by Dagane on 04 October 2012 at 3:27pm

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4623 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 11 of 12
04 October 2012 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
Dagane wrote:

EDIT
It's rare your son had an English interview!! Here, you can get a better job by knowing English in some fields, but in Spain there's no a good level of English, so if your son is going to work here that's pretty strange, although the English level surely depends on the regions.

I don't want to go into too much detail, but it's a large international research organisation with people from all nationalities, and I think English tends to be used as a Lingua Franca, plus there is I think a lot of co-operation with the USA.

It's a setup a bit like CERN in Geneva, although I've heard that at CERN, people who are going going be working there for any length of time are expected to learn French.

Dagane
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4306 days ago

259 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishB2, Galician
Studies: German
Studies: Czech

Message 12 of 12
04 October 2012 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, in that case I understand it. And sure, there's a CERN-like center in Catalonia if I'm right. I don't know if there's some alike near Madrid or elsewhere.

Congratulations for your son. By the way, it could be a good occasion for both of you to learn Spanish ;).

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version