10 messages over 2 pages: 1
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4508 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 9 of 10
15 August 2012 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
tarvos wrote:
All the study you do in Russia, you can do at home, bar
getting in
speaking practice (and
there's Skype and co. for that, should you wish to remedy it).

Learning a language in its country is very useful and motivating. And teachers there are
often better at teaching the language.

It's usually better, but not by definition, and you don't necessarily need it to succeed.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 10
04 April 2015 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
jamesleecoleman wrote:
Serpent:

I thought if a book was used for a certain level then it was sort of "customized" for that level. So one of the books that I brought reached the "B1" level test. I thought it just stopped with the information for that level. I already have a Russian book collection and I figure every book has its uses. Some has way more use than others. I figure that it's another way to find a solution to any problems that I'm having.

I'm not one of those people that will just take the test to put it on my resume and then forget about what I've learned. I honestly do want to learn Russian. I figure getting to the B1 level will give me a good solid foundation so I can "grow" quicker in Russian.

I figure that the academic year in Russia will help me a lot with becoming fluent in Russian. So maybe I will have to make things interesting for me during that time while I'm studying the basics. The big positive about this is that I will be in Russia (again) and I will have to use Russian as my primary language.

Over all, I just can't wait to be able to communicate with native speakers where they can understand me.

I just came across this thread again. The thing is that the levels are consistent within a system of textbooks (and classes) but not within different systems. At B1 you already need to understand the texts that you'll be producing at B2, so there can be a lot of variation depending on what you do with the texts, and even what your strengths are. For example, two people may pass the same B1 test, but one will struggle with reading and just barely make it, while the other one who passes more comfortably will also be closer to B2 in writing. The difference can be due to using different textbooks or learning in different ways.

CEFR is skill-based. At B1 you need to be able to cope with all the typical daily tasks of a tourist or exchange student.

I'm not sure how your situation turned out, but I would recommend just reaching the level first and then maybe practising specifically for the test, especially if you get an actual score on your certificate rather than passed/failed. You don't need B1-marked materials to reach the level but only maybe to pass it.

Edited by Serpent on 04 April 2015 at 2:30am

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version