Groupie
TurkeyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4446 days ago

98 posts - 147 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 25 of 27
26 July 2012 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
In Turkish you can address an elderly person as aunt/uncle even if you have just met them. For example when you see an old man trying to cross the street you can say;

Amca, yardım ister misin? "Uncle, do you need help?"

Or you can use it to refer someone you know but not really a relative, like owner of the grocery shop in the corner or your neighbour;

Git Mehmet Amca'dan iki kilo yoğurt alıver. "Go and buy two kg's of yoghurt from Uncle Mehmet."

Ali Amca dün eve gece iki de geldi, bir ton da gürültü yaptı. "Uncle Ali came home at two o'clock last night and made a lot of noise."

edit: Few more cultural notes on Turkish; In Turkish we have two words for Uncle which are "Amca" which literally means brother of one's father and "Dayı" brother of one's mother. When adressing your own relative uncle in person you usually just call them Amca/Dayı and not use their names. While addressing people who are non relatives we use term "Amca" with the name like "Mehmet Amca" this way we know he is not really a relative. One can also use "dayı" in such situation like "Mehmet Dayı" however dayı is more commonly associated with people of greater respect (or fear, most bully type people are referred as dayı) So you call your neighbour "Amca" but local mafia "dayı".

In females there is a situation as well; we have two terms to define Aunt which are "Teyze" sister of one's mother and "hala" sister of one's father. Here "hala" is never used for non relatives and teyze is used in most cases. There is also "yenge" which means wife of your uncle, which can be used when adressing non relatives if the person is the wife of someone you know. Like "Yenge, Mehmet Amca evde mi?" "Auntie, is Uncle Mehmet at home?" Here yenge means you are not really familiar with the person you are talking to but you are acquitende with her husband.

For younger people we also use terms "Abi" and "Abla" which mean older brother and older sister respectively. You can practically call someone you are not acquinted with as "abi" somewhat similar to western usage of "bro".

Edited by onurdolar on 27 July 2012 at 1:40pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

jsg
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4301 days ago

30 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 26 of 27
26 July 2012 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
In English Canada kids call the friends of their parents Aunt and Uncle quite frequently out of respect. It's quite a common convention.

For example, I have an Uncle Eric and Aunt Anne who aren't related to my parents at all, but if we tried to address them as just Eric or Anne we would be shown severe disapproval from our elders for being rude and disrepectful. Calling them Mr. and Mrs. would also be seens as innapropriate and distancing.

We don't call thier children our cousins though. We just treat them as close friends.

Edited by jsg on 26 July 2012 at 7:06pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 27 of 27
23 August 2012 at 1:27am | IP Logged 
In Hungarian, one sometimes refers to an unrelated but familiar older person with bácsi or néni ("uncle" and "aunt" respectively). In these instances, the title would be preceded by the name (e.g. Ádám bácsi, Éva néni)

I've also observed these titles used by children when talking to their parents about some older stranger or by Hungarian scouts addressing or talking to their leaders (this latter use always seems to come with the name)

E.g.

Apu, mit csinál az a néni? "Daddy, what's that lady doing?"
Sanyi bá', mikor lesz a kirándulás? "Unkie [Scout-leader] Alex, when's the field trip gonna be?" (N.B. bácsi is often shortened to bá')
Anyu! Megláttam, hogy a kutya megharapta a bácsit! "Mommy! I saw the dog bite the man!"
Zsuzsi néni nem jöhet, mert beteg. "Aunt [Scout-leader] Susie can't come because she's sick."

My regular barber was Hungarian and after awhile I started to address him as Feri bácsi rather than just Feri or "Frank" as usual in an English-speaking environment.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version