Joined 6694 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 25 of 44
09 July 2012 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
vermillon wrote:
A little question for you and Richard: what is specific about Swedish that makes it a step towards Icelandic?

Maybe the university had a teacher in Swedish who also knew Icelandic?
1 person has voted this message useful

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4776 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 44
09 July 2012 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
Thank you both for this lovely video! It was fun watching it!
Cristina, I would have loved to choose Norwegian, but as there was no course available at
university, I took Swedish.
I wish I could have such a lovely garden too! :-)))

Edited by Mae on 09 July 2012 at 10:50am

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5004 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 27 of 44
10 July 2012 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
Weird that I was thinking on the plane back to ask for video/sound samples of people speaking their TL.

@Christina; great accent - my friend says you are definitely Scottish. He is Scottish so should know!

Edited by maydayayday on 10 July 2012 at 7:42pm

Torbyrne
Super Polyglot
Macedonia
SpeakingFluently.com
Joined 5880 days ago

126 posts - 721 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, German, Spanish, Dutch, Macedonian, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, Czech, Catalan, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian
Studies: Sign Language, Toki Pona, Albanian, Polish, Bulgarian, TurkishA1, Esperanto, Romanian, Danish, Mandarin, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Greek, Latvian, Estonian

Message 28 of 44
10 July 2012 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
numerodix wrote:
Something happened to the audio in the last minute or so, it got very quiet.

Nice video Richard and Christina. Are you on a mission to meet everyone, Richard? :) It's
quite cool that in the past people like you and the other prominent youtubers only had
videos of themselves, but now there are more and more meetings and conversations.

I am very lucky to be able to tavel and meet other learners around the world. I love using my languages with other people. The main reason for learning them is to communicate, so it naturally follows I guess. Meeting other like-minded people, such as Cristina, Fasulye, Luca, Splog, Tim and others in person is a wonderful experience and I hope to continue meeting other people in the community too.

vermillon wrote:
tarvos wrote:
Or actually, I am going to do the route richard took and go Swedish --> Icelandic... eventually... hehehe

A little question for you and Richard: what is specific about Swedish that makes it a step towards Icelandic? I believed Norwegian and Icelandic could perhaps be the closest as their ancestor seemed to be Western Old Norse, while Swedish/Danish would come more from Eastern Old Norse?

At least that's what Wikipedia says, but I've no idea if that makes any sense, and I'd indeed be interested in knowing why the two of you would choose Swedish to get Icelandic.

I had always had a thing for Icelandic as a kid and wanted to study it formally. No real reason behind that, it just sounded cool! :D Yes, I was a teenage language geek once too! :D

At The University of Hull (where I did my Combined Languages degree), there was an option to study Old Icelandic for a year. However, the rub was that it was not a stand alone language. So...I had to join the Scandinavian studies department and take Swedish as my major Scandinavian language to be allowed to study Old Icelandic as an option in that department. I ended up enjoying Swedish too! :) Otherwise there was no reason for me to study Swedish before, or at the same time as, Icelandic. ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4613 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 29 of 44
11 July 2012 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
Lovely location, and nice "actors": a recipe for a great movie, and all the better for
being informal. :-)

Interesting points about the difficulty (or lack of) for foreigners of Norwegian
dialects.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4492 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 30 of 44
11 July 2012 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
I don't think dialects are problematic in any of the Germanic languages anyway. I mean,
say you're learning German, and you get exposed to Bavarian or Saxon, or god forbid,
Swiss German or something. They're also harder to understand, but because you're a
foreigner, people tone their accent and slang use down slightly so it's easier to
follow for people.

I'll give you a personal example because in Dutch, there are literally tons of dialects
(like in all the Germanic languages) and I've firsthand experience with some of them.
My grandparents on my mother's side grew up speaking a pure Brabantian dialect. Now, I
was not born there (my parents moved away from the south and to the west) and thus I
don't really retain a Brabantian accent. My speech is fairly light for a westerner,
though.

However my grandparents could really only speak dialect (not even standard Dutch, let
alone English or another foreign language), although when I was around, because I
wasn't used to using the dialect, they tried to tone it down the best they could (which
is to say, not a lot). However, I've never had real trouble understanding what my
grandfather told me, even though his accent was very strong, very local, and I did
recognise the strangeness to his speech compared to my mother's or my father's (who
both do not have strong dialectal accents; theirs are much lighter, though you can
easily tell they are not from the west).

But here comes the kicker: I only got exposed to this dialect because my grandparents
lived in a tiny village in the countryside that I would only ever hear because I was
related to them. You literally have to go into the countryside, far away from the big
cities, to find someone who speaks that dialect so strongly that you cannot understand
them; if they are from the big cities they will always tone it down to the extent that
any "non-local" (and this includes Dutch people living 50 km away whose accent can be
markedly different!) will understand what they're saying. Plus the fact that Dutch is
becoming more homogeneous, these really strong dialects are found in the far
countryside and you have to really look out for them. Most of the time, they only use
these dialects among themselves and you'd have to live in the area for an extended
period of time to pick it up. Otherwise, all you'll hear is standard Dutch spoken with
the local pronunciation.

And of those, Dutch has very many.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5166 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 31 of 44
12 July 2012 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
I really enjoyed your video, you two! Cristina, don't hesitate to make more!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4761 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 32 of 44
22 July 2012 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
I'm tremendously late in posting my praise, but I thought I'd add it in anyway. Thanks for this marvelous video,
Richard and Cristina!

It's so nice seeing members of our forum get together, and it looked like you two had a lot of fun! Moreover, the
conversation was quite interesting. Maybe it's because I'm so used to hearing Cristina's voice over Skype, so I
wasn't quite so startled by her essentially pristine English. Also, that garden is beautiful! Well done on grooming
that!

I do hope the rest of the videos will be posted soon!

This is going to sound rather odd, but whenever I see videos of our forum members, and especially the more
well-known polyglots among us, getting together, I'm reminded of those weekend night cartoon specials I used
to watch as a kid wherein characters across shows would get pulled together for some epic crossover
extravaganza. I thought those mash-ups were the coolest thing in the world, and I'd have my eyes glued to the
TV for the whole while. I love seeing my favorite characters pop up in places outside of their usual territory. This
video invokes a similar feeling. Suddenly, the members we knew previously as just lines of text, or perhaps
avatars, are before us in pixelated flesh! It's almost surreal, then, to see them in a video, moving about and
talking as if they really existed somewhere in the world. The best part is, of course, that they do.

Edited by Tecktight on 22 July 2012 at 11:35pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 44 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version