how much is that or cultural differences. Now, I am not by any means
a romantic or needing grand amounts of affection and whatnot but I
would like to know more about this in general... Germans and dating,
how do German women and men ever find interest in each other? xD
Obviously they make it work, jWhat are some other ways I could approach
this situation with him? Would a German appreciate it if one also
responded as direct as he would? Perhaps, I should just maintain a
certian level of directness, beause I don't want to lose him. What are
some other differences between Germans and Americans (or any other place)
in dating?I would just like to start a discussion on relatiionships from
different culture.

Thanks xD
LF

Edited by LebensForm on 04 June 2012 at 2:36am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4498 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 2 of 6
04 June 2012 at 7:10am | IP Logged 
We-ell... I don't think "direct" and "one- or two-word answers" are quite the same thing.
I also don't think that your boyfriend's behavior is necessarily just symptomatic of
German culture.

Here's something direct that all cultures can appreciate. Instead of asking the forum
about what's going through your boyfriend's mind, why don't you ask him? ;)

Edited by Hekje on 04 June 2012 at 7:11am

6 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 6
04 June 2012 at 9:15am | IP Logged 
My considerable experience within cross cultural dating indicates that about 30% of a person's behaviour may be attributed to national culture, and 70% to the individual personality or his family culture. I am married to a guy who grew up 30 minutes from where I grew up, with similar education level both between us and our parents, and we have been working for the same company for 20 years, and yet there are times where I feel that we could not have been more different if he had grown up in Timbuktu.

I do not have any dating experiences with Germans, but the people I have met there on a friendship basis have - like most other people - been as different among themselves as is possible. I have met Germans who were very stiff and formal, and I have met people who I felt I had known my entire life after knowing them for 10 days.

A direct approach seems like a good idea :-)
11 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4663 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 4 of 6
16 June 2012 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
I think there's nothing particularly German about the behaviour you describe. He seems either not very communicative in general, not very communicative on the internet, very shy (although who is shy on the internet?), or not very interested. Do you have shared interests that you talk about? Does he ask you questions? Does he share what's going on in his life? If none of this applies I wonder why you're "seeing" each other. If you're just talking about his responses to your questions, maybe you could try asking more open-ended questions, like "what's your opinion on..." and ask about reasons for his opinions. I think it's more a matter of personality than a matter of being German how much someone talks.

-how do German women and men ever find interest in each other? xD

Anyway, that's a good question! I think this song will clarify it for you :) Aurelie

The finding of interest is not so much the problem as is the communication thereof. One thing German guys generally suck at is flirting. Or maybe I suck at flirting with German guys. Or maybe they just aren't interested in me when they aren't drunk. :D Either they are so forward (and in that case usually drunk) that it's off-putting or so subtle that you can never be certain about their intent (and will probably not even start to wonder about it). I guess if you like each other you hang out more and one day get drunk together, become very forward and take things from there. Or you start off being drunk and very forward and then back-paddle to the hanging out and getting to know each other part. Or you hang around each other a lot, stare at each other a lot and wonder if that means anything or if it's just the general German stare and in the end the whole thing comes to nothing. To be honest, I myself am kind of mystified as to how Germans ever manage to start dating each other. Any successful German dating I know of usually involves the girl being quite proactive. For all I know, Germans aren't exactly the type who will fight to be with you and tell you how much they like you without solid evidence that you like them (except if they're drunk, young, and/or extremely smitten).
4 persons have voted this message useful

Laurae
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4833 days ago

51 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 5 of 6
22 June 2012 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
I think you would find the Toytown discussions on dating of particular interest, for example this thread on dating German women :-)
http://www.toytowngermany.com/lofi/index.php/t133706.html
1 person has voted this message useful

LebensForm
Austria
Joined 4845 days ago

212 posts - 264 votes 
Studies: German

Message 6 of 6
03 July 2012 at 3:41am | IP Logged 
Thank you all for your imput. Things are better, especially now that I get to see him very soon!!

Sometimes I think we are too much the same and at other times we are completely different. I think a lot of it was the hassile of communicating online.

Thanks again all!

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version