Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Easiest language for an English speaker?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
80 messages over 10 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 9 10 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 49 of 80
03 June 2012 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
COF wrote:
or do most immigrants tend to just get by in English until their Norwegian gets proficient enough that Norwegians don't go into English anymore?
Isn't it the preferred situation for most immigrants who aren't language geeks?

1 person has voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4566 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 50 of 80
03 June 2012 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
COF wrote:
staninbrooklyn wrote:

When I traveled to Oslo (her hometown) I was able to speak and understand several sentences without a problem. Usually the conversation would end not because my Norwegian was so bad but because Norwegians in Oslo speak English so well they would just interrupt me with their perfect English.

I've heard the Norwegians, as well as the Dutch do this a lot to the point it can be very difficult to learn their languages.

I was wondering, how do immigrants to Norway learn Norwegian when the attitude of Norwegians is to go into English every time they hear a foreign accent speaking not fluent Norwegian?

Do the Norwegians have a different attitude towards immigrants speaking Norwegian, or do most immigrants tend to just get by in English until their Norwegian gets proficient enough that Norwegians don't go into English anymore?
I can't really speak as a proper immigrant, since I was only in Norway as an exchange student for one semester, but I didn't really run into this problem. I was basically learning Norwegian just for the heck of it, while also worrying about an upcoming German exam and preparing for the JLPT, so I didn't actively seek out opportunities to practise speaking Norwegian, but whenever I did talk to people in Norwegian they wouldn't switch to English until I myself indicated a lack of understanding (on the other hand, the Germans that I talked to there did switch on me at the first opportunity). The clerks in shops and the school canteen would keep talking to me in Norwegian even after hearing my less than fluent responses, and even if I had addressed them in English on previous occasions (although that might have just been them not remembering my face).

Of course, clerks do have to be courteous and polite to customers, but even in informal situations this didn't happen to me. I remember going to a party organized by some students of Japanese from the University of Oslo. At that point I had taken only two or three classes of Norwegian, but I did manage to have a couple of conversations in Norwegian there. One of the people I talked to told me, after we switched to English, that she did realize that I wasn't a native speaker as soon as I started talking, but didn't switch at first because she though it would have been rude to judge my ability to keep up a conversation based on my accent alone. But then again, the people at the party were all language geeks, so I'm not sure how representative they were of the population at large.

I do think that the high proficiency of Norwegians in English made it more difficult for me to practise the language, but I believe that the biggest problem wasn't them refusing to speak Norwegian to me. Instead it was my own temptation to just fall back on English. Since their English was pretty much guaranteed to be better than my Norwegian, most of the time I just didn't feel like the effort was worth it. Of course, if my job and residency status depended on it my attitude would have been different, and from what I heard getting a job in Norway without knowing any Norwegian is almost impossible. Even if your potential customers, colleagues, partners and superiors can speak to you in perfect English, ceteris paribus they would still prefer to deal with someone who speaks their language.

Edited by vonPeterhof on 03 June 2012 at 2:03am

4 persons have voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5247 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 51 of 80
03 June 2012 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
COF wrote:
I Do the Norwegians have a different attitude towards immigrants speaking Norwegian, or do most
immigrants tend to just get by in English until their Norwegian gets proficient enough that Norwegians don't go
into English anymore?

Most immigrants here are not native English speakers. Generalizations will always fail, but I'll do it anyway:
– Swedes and Danes either stick to their native language, switch to Norwegian or to something in between.
– Native speakers of English either stick to English or learn Norwegian.
– Non-native speakers of English may speak English at first (provided that they actually know English) and then
switch to Norwegian as soon as they think their Norwegian is good enough.
– A few immigrants never bother to learn Norwegian and do not integrate into Norwegian society at all.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4462 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 52 of 80
03 June 2012 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
I found this blog useful, a foreigner living in Norway:

http://mylittlenorway.com/2008/09/learning-norwegian/

''Reading and writing Norwegian is fine (it just seems like English spelt badly) but trying to learn how to listen and speak Norwegian is a whole different language – literally! You see, the language that you learn in Norwegian class is called Bokmål (book language), which is only a written language, and only a pretend spoken language. The other written language is Nynorsk (new Norwegian) – which should be called ‘old Norwegian’ as it is a historical representation of the old country language.

Unfortunately, in real life, no one speaks Bokmål, they speak Norwegian and there are hundreds of different dialects spoken across Norway. Each town and village has its own take on the language and this is what makes learning Norwegian so hard. What I learn to say in class is most often not what you say in real life. Even in my town, Tromsø, I can’t understand what people are saying – and my hubby, Moose, he speaks a whole different dialect altogether.''

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4459 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 53 of 80
03 June 2012 at 3:58am | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:

That was interesting.

There seems to be a lot of difference of opinion on how difficult Norwegian is, with some saying it's very hard and others saying it's one of the easiest languages for English speakers.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5212 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 54 of 80
03 June 2012 at 4:31am | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:
Medulin wrote:

That was interesting.

There seems to be a lot of difference of opinion on how difficult Norwegian is, with some saying it's very hard and others saying it's one of the easiest languages for English speakers.

I suppose it depends where you go in Norway. The language in general is very easy grammatically and very similar to English. Pronunciation and recognition of speech might throw some people off though. I'm lucky in that I've been visiting Norway since I was a baby. Only ever learned or spoke any Norwegian while in Norway until recently but I have very good pronunciation as I picked it up as a child (which can confuse people as I sound like I should be totally fluent) and, though I might not understand all the words, they don't sound like a blur. I guess I'm not a good judge of whether it is difficult or not pronunciation wise.

I would imagine the discrepancy between the Norwegian taught in class and the dialects people can encounter would be a bit bewildering at first but it just takes enough exposure. There are materials out there which can help you with certain dialects though.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 55 of 80
03 June 2012 at 6:42am | IP Logged 
jazzboy.bebop wrote:
   The language in general is very easy grammatically

Lets say only close to English, not objectively easy.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5247 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 56 of 80
03 June 2012 at 7:14am | IP Logged 
Quote:

Olsofolk make me nervous as they always seem to be asking questions. (I have recently developed a phobia to
questions from Norwegians). They speak with a sing-song rhythm and the end of each sentence rises up. It reminds
me of a child telling a very exciting story.
Northerners, or ‘the Mumbles’ as I like to call them, have a very deep and English sounding rhythm but they melt
their words together like mozzarella cheese.

Funny. People from Oslo often say that people from the North "sing".

This discussion contains 80 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version