translator2
United States
Joined 6713 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 2 of 8
24 May 2012 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
RE: "Pizza Patrón".

Isn't is weird how the Spanish word patrón means employer or boss while the English word patron means the customer?

Edited by translator2 on 24 May 2012 at 1:00am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5139 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 3 of 8
24 May 2012 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
translator2 wrote:
RE: "Pizza Patrón".

Isn't is weird how the Spanish word patrón means employer or boss while the English word patron means the customer?

According to this and this the etymology of both words is the same. The sense of supporting and being responsible for is common to both, in one case from authority, and in the other by supplying essential business. "The customer is always right." So is the boss.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Pisces
Bilingual Pentaglot
Finland
Joined 4416 days ago

143 posts - 284 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish*, French, SwedishC1, Esperanto
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian

Message 4 of 8
24 May 2012 at 10:02am | IP Logged 
patron-patrón

I never thought about that before. Actually in English the word can be used in both senses, although the customer sense is much more common.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6497 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 8
24 May 2012 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
I wouldn't mind such offers here where I live. I would even find out how to order a pizza in Urdu or Turkish or Chinese if that was necessary.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Rykketid
Diglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 4627 days ago

88 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: French

Message 6 of 8
16 July 2012 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
Strangely enough I agree with a conservative: it seems like a punishment for non Spanish
speakers, I think that if that thing had happened in France they would have gone bankrupt
two days later.

The only thing that I can find in defense of this marketing promotion is that English is
not the US offiacial language but it is only de facto, but it's still a very weak
argument in my opinion.
1 person has voted this message useful

tibbles
Diglot
United States
Joined 4985 days ago

245 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean

Message 7 of 8
17 July 2012 at 8:02am | IP Logged 
I say more power to Pizza Patron and their latest publicity stunt. Who cares what a conservative group of bigots thinks or what the English-only (see their website) Hispanic Marketing Group thinks? They don't make the rules and don't get to dictate what America is about. What next? Eliminate Spanish language newspapers because this somehow puts gringos at a disadvantage? There are 39 million Spanish speakers in the US and more than 50 million people of Latino ancestry. Why shouldn't a store or restaurant provide a service that helps Spanish speakers feel more comfortable, especially if it fosters customer loyalty and repeat business? Establishments that have Spanish speaking staff attract more Spanish speaking customers. Duh. That's capitalism. And to contrast: the Latino population of the US is larger than the senior population (over age 65). Plenty of stores offer all sorts of special discounts to seniors, yet there is no outcry from political or business groups. I smell hypocrisy.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Jappy58
Bilingual Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 4432 days ago

200 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Guarani*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Maghribi), Arabic (Written), French, English, Persian, Quechua, Portuguese
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 8 of 8
17 July 2012 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
I think it was an interesting move, and I personally don't understand why there are so many people who dislike it and making it seem more controversial than it should be.

Yes, this is the United States, and English is the de facto language. Yes, I strongly agree that every immigrant should make a solid attempt at learning English. However, Pizza Patron is not asking for fluent Spanish, not even conversational Spanish. It can be a broken, possibly miserable attempt. Is it seriously that difficult to say "Buenas nochas, kero uno pizza?" It's not really a punishment, IMO. If they were asking for excellent pronunciation and an eloquent request for pizza, then yes, it would be rather extreme. But it wasn't that extreme. It wasn't even an ongoing free deal.

I'm all for English being the main language for official matters and most spoken matters, but I think it's saddening that some people are disturbed when individuals are speaking something other than English to one another.

While I see why it's controversial, I don't think there's really much fuel for controversy. But I suppose there is.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version