Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4926 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 41 of 352
05 September 2012 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
Je viens de finir la première leçon de Hugo Advanced French et c'était pas mal du tout! Je n'ai eu aucun problème pour comprendre les textes des enregistrements. Les exercises et les explanations grammaticales sont utiles mais pas énnuyants. Vû qu'il n'y a que neuf leçons, je pense que je pourrai profiter si vite des connaissances de ce livre très utile.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4926 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 42 of 352
10 September 2012 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
Thirteen lesson today. Only six more and I'm done with Hugo's Advanced French. I have mixed feelings towards the tapes. The speakers pronounce the words very clearly but some words are indeed unknown to me because they're supposed to be introduced at that very same lesson. So, I listen to some parts without looking at the text, then I rest a little as I look at it. It's good to be able to do some of the exercises orally, as I still need more spoken than written practice.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4926 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 43 of 352
13 September 2012 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
I'm understanding spoken French better and better. I'm benefiting a lot from the contextualized lessons at Hugo's Advanced French. After all, in our native language we always hear texts in a context. It's only in textbooks for beginners that we are presented to isolated words, nonsense sentences and weird dialogues.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4926 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 44 of 352
14 September 2012 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
Lesson 7 is finished. Today I had a hard time understanding because of all the noise around. Still, the lesson was very useful. When I tried the exercises, radio advertisementes, I could understand better. I think it's still not the natural speed at those advertisements, nevertheless I'm glad I could understand them.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4926 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 45 of 352
19 September 2012 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
I finished Hugo's Advanced French yesterday and it's a highly recommended book. This book has few lessons, but that wasn't even a drawback at this stage when I'm in a hurry to finish my French studies. The book happened to deal with the most tricky grammar aspects I still had to meet. The subjects of the lessons were diverse and focused on contemporary life. There are too nmany exercises, but that wasn't a problem as I just cross-checked exercises and answer keys. Recordings are very good.

Now I've started what I plan to be my last textbook, followed only by native materials (books then magazines and hopefully movies and sitcoms). It's French for Marketing, which I mentioned previously. The subjects are all covered at an exam I have to do in two weeks, so I'm studying both languages and for my career. It's been good so far, exactly what I need. I have to look up one or two words per paragraph on average. I feel more thankful and in love with the French language each day and I become more and more interested in getting to know about the French culture at least as much as I had been subjected to the American culture so far.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4926 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 46 of 352
19 September 2012 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
On a side note, I editted my profile and moved up my knowledge in French to Basic Fluency, which means I'm a triglot now!! I wouldn't be doing that merely as a show off. I'm pretty much sure that I improved at least one CEFR level since I started studying French daily in January.

On the other hand, this book French for Marketing has no audio, which means I won't be listening to French during my scheduled study time. Unless I manage to listen to native material later at home, I won't be pursuing my listening skills for at least one month and a half. Hope I won't be losing much!

onkel_xiaoma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4244 days ago

38 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: German*, Mandarin
Studies: Tatar, Turkish

Message 47 of 352
19 September 2012 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations for reaching that milestone, Expugnator!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4926 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 48 of 352
28 September 2012 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
My final French textbook will last longer than I though. It has 14 units but these are rather big and consist of two texts on average. Therefore, there are actually 28 texts and I'm doing 1 text a day. I'm currently at lesson 9 and so it will take me almost the whole month of October to finish it. That's about the time for me to dropping the active study of French and joining the Assimil chalenge in november for a new language!

This discussion contains 352 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version