Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4475 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 81 of 256
28 November 2012 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
Just a quick update after my final tuition session before Sunday's test.

I had to do three cut-down exam papers (the tuition is an hour long).

The Vocabulary was 94%, the Grammar was 80% and the Listening was 61%. So if I do that
well on Sunday I'll scrape a pass. The Listening is still pretty hit and miss though.
Sometimes I "get it" and sometimes I'm blindly guessing. (As it so happens only one of
the guesses was right this time, so hopefully this is a fair reflection of where I am).

Anyway, considering that when I signed up I didn't think I'd have any chance to pass
and just wanted an independent assessment of where I needed to concentrate my efforts,
I think I'm quite pleased.

Now for some last-minute revision with renewed vigour ...

1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4475 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 82 of 256
02 December 2012 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
W/E 2012-12-02 26h23m

Travelled to the N5 in London today. I listened to Japanese audio all the way there and
back, so, including the test, that was 7-3/4 hours of Japanese today.

The test was quite hard, but not as bad as I was expecting it to be and certainly not
as bad as it would have been just two months ago. The Reading part went well and the
Grammar part was OK (although the last three questions were quite tricky: I knew what
it all meant, but I must have missed something as none of the answers seemed to fit).
The Listening part was, as expected, the hardest, but I'm quite pleased that I knew
even *some* of it :-)

As for everything else ...

I've moved over to Memrise V1 (previously it was in beta). So far, so good. I've not
hit any of the problems that the early adopters were complaining about and all my
gardens seem to have transitioned seamlessly.

Kanji are up to date (still about 20mins/day, still 50-80 reviews). In fact the Kanji
section of the N5 was by far the easiest. (I can safely say that as the results will
not be broken down in that much detail :-)).

Even before today's marathon all-Japanese travelling session, the audio had been going
well. I've started to work through the audio at mykikitori.com. There's not that much
of it, but I think I'll work through it a few times until it all seems fixed in my
head.

2 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4475 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 83 of 256
07 December 2012 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
Well I've gone and signed up for TAC 2013.

The TAC-specific log is at:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=34475&PN=1&TPN=1

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4475 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 84 of 256
10 December 2012 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
W/E 2012-12-09 20h48m

Quite a lethargic start to the week this time; probably a reaction to the N5.

Nothing much to report this week, except that I've signed up to the 2013 TAC.

I'm listening to the JPOD101 Lower Intermediate Season 1 lessons now: that seems like
quite a step up from the beginner seasons so I think it'll take me some work to get to
the point where I feel comfortable there.

One thing I think I learned from the N5 is that I need to do more textbook work: the
audio is very useful but there are some things I need to sit down and learn (as opposed
to making plans to sit down and learn. Counters for one.

So I've been working through Minna No Nihongo again. I'd completely missed the
"section" exercises first time though (A, B, C, D & E). My tutor didn't though :-) So
after my pass through the book I'll concentrate on whichever sections correspond to
questions that I get wrong.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5792 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 85 of 256
10 December 2012 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
You know, I don't think I've ever sat down and learned counters properly. I can do dates, people, beer, small animals...and I just cheat and use 一つ,二つ etc for everything else! I think it's important to understand the concept of counters and how they are used, but unless you're planning on taking a shopping trip in Japan very soon, I think its probably more valuable to get comfortable with things like different verb forms. And particles (but I've still not got the hang of those yet either!)

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4475 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 86 of 256
10 December 2012 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
I doubt that I'll eve need to count people's remains (体     ) or Japanese poems (首) or even
flags (棹) but I'm quite happy that I know 足(そく)!

Seriously I think I'll just stop at the 16 or so in Minna No Nihongo (plus the time-based
ones) and then do as you do for the rest.

Then again, I keep hearing 名 (めい)instead of 人 in polite restaurant scenes ... so
maybe I can find something with which to fill TAC 2013 ...

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4475 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 87 of 256
19 December 2012 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
W/E 2012-12-16 19h31m

Not full ymanaged to shake off the lethargy yet and, with Christmas just around the
corner, I expect that it'll be the New Year before I'm back up to speed.

Looking at my log, most of the time was either Audio or Kanji, although I did manage to
review the 2nd half of Minna No Nihongo I. I seem to have done very little vocabulary
work lately (either memrise or anki) so I'll need to address that soon.

I'm still listening to the JPOD101 Lower Intermediate lessons (I've been through
Seasons 1, 4, 6 and most of 2). It's still all a bit of a blur, but I've been through
this before so I expect that it'll begin to make sense on the 2nd or 3rd pass.

I've ordered a few Japanese reading books for Christmas, so I'll have a little bit of
reading material for TAC 2013. Quite where I'm going to find 96 other books I don't
know! Films will (I think) be less of a problem. I think I need to find the general TAC
rules and see what else I can do to contribute.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5792 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 88 of 256
20 December 2012 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
I think you are conflating the Super Challenge with the Total Annihilation Challenge. The Super Challenge is the 100 books and 100 films thing. For the TAC, the aim is just to keep a log for the whole year and support your team mates. And annihilate your bad study habits!

This discussion contains 256 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version