kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4976 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 217 of 256
13 June 2015 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
Wow I wish I had an advanced class I could take in person in my area. I think classes and studying in person
really help with motivation to not slack off.
1 person has voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5917 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 218 of 256
14 June 2015 at 6:13am | IP Logged 
Yeah, alone it's not enough to make rapid progress, but it keeps me going at minimum level, even when work is screaming crazy insane busy.   And anything intermediate (N2) level is pretty rare outside of major Universities. Here in the SF Bay area there's a number of us who just have been hammering on Japanese language for years, and we're all serious and have various weaknesses, but there's no drama. We're all there to learn.

I wish I had something comparable for Finnish, as I have to squeeze in time for this between Japanese and work and exercise, and that's not a generous amount of time.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4457 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 219 of 256
16 June 2015 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
W/E 2015-06-07 38h27m

Audio:   17:27
Vocab:    2:20
Reading: 12:56
Grammar: 3:18
Video:    2:26

SC: reading 123 pages, watching: 2h26m.

W/E 2015-06-14 42h47m

Audio:   20:47
Vocab:    0:53
Reading: 14:04
Grammar: 3:21
Video:    3:42

SC: reading 121 pages, watching: 3h42m.

Anki is coming along quite reasonably well. Rather than occasionally "binging" on the
kanji deck, I've set it to offer me 5 new kanji each day. If I feel like adding more at
any time I'll do so using custom study and give preference to the vocabulary from the
JPOD UI lessons I'm shadowing at the moment. The sentence deck is easier in one way in
that many of the sentences I know well enough right from the start that they just canter
off into the distance. Actually activating a sentence takes more work though as I need to
make sure I understand it all before moving on to the next one.

The reading is still going well. I've managed to get some reading done during the week so
that it's not all a mad rush at the weekend. Some days I feel like I could read all day
long, if I had the time.

Having watched ミス・パイロット without subs I'm now going over it again with subs. After
that I'll spend some time with it repeatedly listening until my comprehension improves
(or until I get bored!).

Grammar from 新完全マスター N2 文法 is progressing at a slow pace, but that's the target I've
set for this month and I don't really have the time to do any more than that.

I'm spending much more time on the shadowing than I have before and I think it's helping
with the comprehension. I still think that I'll be going over all the UI dialogs at some
point though.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4457 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 220 of 256
29 July 2015 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
Wow. I don't think I've ever gone this long without updating before. I can't even blame the HTLAL DNS snafu for most
of my procrastination!

Here's a month and a half of updates.

W/E 2015-06-21 44h28m

Audio:     24:14
Vocab:      0:53
Reading:   13:27
Grammar:    2:45
Video:      3:09

SC: reading 109 pages, watching: 3h09m.

W/E 2015-06-28 40h18m

Audio:     18:08
Vocab:      0:47
Reading:   14:45
Grammar:    3:47
Video:      2:51

SC: reading 97 pages, watching: 2h51m.

W/E 2015-07-05 23h21m

Audio:     12:31
Vocab:      0:39
Reading:    6:38
Grammar:    0:10
Video:      3:23

SC: reading 32 pages, watching: 3h23m.

W/E 2015-07-12 29h59m

Audio:     17:12
Vocab:      0:41
Reading:    5:55
Grammar:    2:12
Video:      3:59

SC: reading pages 17, watching: 3h02m.

W/E 2015-07-19 30h17m

Audio:     18:58
Reading:    4:40
Grammar:    2:15
Video:      3:22

SC: reading 17 pages, watching: 3h22m.

W/E 2015-07-26 40h16m

Audio:     20:27
Vocab:      0:40
Reading:   12:06
Grammar:    2:57
Video:      4:06

SC: reading 100 pages, watching: 3h43m.

Overall progress during this period has been OK. There have been a few weeks where life took precedence and various
functions plus the associated preparations took a fair bit of time, but otherwise I've been keeping up with my
Japanese studies.

The reading took a hit during the busy periods. I find it harder to read Japanese late at night, so if I haven't done
my reading by about 9PM then I'm probably not going to get it done that day at all. Watching some drama or anime (at
least for half an hour or so) is something that I can usually manage even if I'm tired at the end of the day, so that
wasn't affected much.

I've not really put much time into 新完全マスター N2 文法 lately. However, I have gone through the (electronic) notes
I've made and checked 日本語総まとめ N3 文法 for entries that I've not covered so far. That lead me to looking at the
contents I have for みんなの日本語中級 and for the N2 and N3 新完全マスター books, and I now have a list of items that I
need to make notes on. I'm in no particular rush however, so I'll be making notes when I have a spare moment or two
rather than sitting down for a day to try to get it all done in one go.

I've found some more Japanese N2 language learning videos on youtube and I've been reasonably pleased to find that I
can at least partly manage to follow them. It takes a certain amount of replaying sections, but I can usually manage
to understand the grammar points.

I've not checked whether I'm still in with a chance of completing the Super Challenge: I'll wait until after I come
back from holiday and pick up the reading again. Speaking of holiday, I've yet to decide what, if any, learning
materials I'll take with me. I'll certainly load the phone up with audio (lessons + dialogues). I think I'll also take
うたかた along too: I keep meaning to work through it all intensively but I've not got much further than 20 pages in.
Maybe I'll just force myself to concentrate on getting through at least the first half intensively before I go on
holiday and then see how things work out with it once I'm far away from any language-learning crutches!

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4457 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 221 of 256
07 August 2015 at 1:42am | IP Logged 
W/E 2015-08-02 38h46m

Audio:     18:41
Reading:   11:29
Grammar:    4:08
Video:      3:49

SC: reading 59 pages, watching: 3h20m.

I've tried to get the reading back into shape this week, so that's beginning to come back
to a reasonable level.

I've worked out how much I need to get through with Anki to get to where I want to be by
the time of December's JLPT N2. I think that I'm unlikely to reach my vocabulary goal by
then, but I'll try to aim for the required level of progress each week, with the
understanding that I'll ease off if the review times go up too much. I've not yet reached
srs-burnout but I'm not willing to put hour upon hour a day into it. At the moment it does
take over an hour each day but it's broken down into two chunks, and sometimes more, so it
doesn't feel like a drag.

The 新完全マスター N2 文法 work is coming along slowly: I'm aiming to reach the end of the book
by the end of August. Then I'll work through it again doing the exercises to see where I
need to concentrate my efforts.

I've laid the ground work so I can start on 日本語総まとめ N2 聴解 too. I don't know how far I
will get with that, but I remember the N3 book feeling like it was quite useful.

Delvin Language feels quite useful too. I'm not sure
if that's because it's new (too me, at least) and different, or whether it is genuinely
helpful. Time will no doubt tell. It has a points system (as do many of these sites) but
I'm not setting myself any targets: I'll just put in a little time here and there as the
opportunity presents itself.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4457 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 222 of 256
10 August 2015 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
W/E 2015-08-09 41h32m

Audio:     16:00
Vocab:      0:28
Reading:   16:25
Grammar:    4:18
Video:      4:21

SC: reading 150 pages, watching: 3h43m.

For the moment I'm going to keep updating my log here rather than on the backup forum. As for the future, who can
tell? I'd prefer not to split my log in two, but I may not have a choice.

Anyway, back to Japanese.

This week I decided to push the boat out on reading, and I managed 150 pages. A number of events conspired to make
this possible, and I don't expect to be able to keep up that pace but it was nice to find out that I can manage to do
a lot of reading when push comes to shove.

As I noted in my TAC log I want to put some more effort into
日本語総まとめ N2 聴解 and 日本語総まとめ N2 読解. Well I just don't have time for the latter at the moment, but I did make
a start on 日本語総まとめ N2 聴解 and covered 16 pages of that.

I've been activating new words and sentences in Anki too. Probably not enough to meet my targets, but some progress is
being made. I have managed to the last of the JPOD UI sentences and I now know that I have just under 1200 sentences
to activate. So my estimate wasn't far off and 15/day is probably an acceptable pace at which to proceed.

The 新完全マスター N2 文法 Part 3 has been reasonably smooth sailing so far. It mostly seems to be recap of previously
covered grammar along with a few finer points. Of course, I've yet to try the exercises so the devil may turn out to
be in the finer points!

I've managed to put some more time into Delvin Languages. I think it will be a while before I know whether it will
help with comprehension or not.

Edited by dampingwire on 11 August 2015 at 11:19pm

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4457 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 223 of 256
27 August 2015 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
W/E 2015-08-16 27h00m

Audio:      6:02
Vocab:      0:11
Reading:   19:01
Grammar:    0:28
Video:      1:18

SC: reading 256 pages, watching: 0h46m.

W/E 2015-08-23 32h43m

Audio:      9:08
Vocab:      0:35
Reading:   18:33
Grammar:    0:20
Video:      3:18

SC: reading 128 pages, watching: 3h18m.

So Wednesday to Wednesday in the fortnight above was basically holiday. I did do a fair bit of reading during the travelling and during down time as
well as a small amount of listening. I didn't take any textbooks, so there was no formal studying.

I've now cleared down the post-holiday Anki backlog (the RTK backlog was pretty straightforward to clear down). By next week I think I'll start to
activate words and sentences again. For now I'm spending the time in other ways.

I'm working my way through 新完全マスター N2 文法 – Part 3: they're mostly review, with perhaps a little new information. Perhaps more of that is new for 新
完全マスタ, but most of it I think I've already covered elsewhere. I'll probably make my own notes on these and then go over them briefly during tutorials
just to make sure that I've understood correctly.

Speaking of tutorials, this week we started みんなの日本語中級 Chapter 12, which is the last one of Book I. I don't expect we'll get more than a chapter or
two into Book II before I sit the N2 exam (as I expect I'll be bringing along a reasonable amount of other material from the various 新完全マスタ books),
so I'll probably skim over the contents and read through anything that looks like review on my own, just to try and solidify it. (I doubt that there's
much in there that hasn't already been covered by one of the other textbooks, so I'm really looking for new approaches to material that I already should
know. I think that I've seen enough grammar points to carry me through the test ... if only I could remember them :-)). I'll definitely spend a day or
two mining the vocabulary, as that's more likely to stick.

I read somewhere else (sorry, forgot where!) that someone found listening to audio and trying to produce a TL transcript was pretty useful for
comprehension. So I'll try to give that a go, possibly starting with the lessons that I'm listening to now during the commute.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4457 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 224 of 256
31 August 2015 at 10:53am | IP Logged 
W/E 2015-08-30 36h58m

Audio:     15:44
Vocab:      0:49
Reading:   11:10
Grammar:    3:35
Video:      4:49

SC: reading 102 pages, watching: 3h47m.

This week was quite busy from a family point of view, so my reading time dropped and instead my audio time went up (as I managed to
get out on the bike a bit more often).

I've started to listen intensively to ミス・パイロット but it's too early to tell whether it's helping or not. I'm also working
through 新完全マスター N2 聴解, slowly but surely. I'm on page 46 of just under 100 to cover, so I should be able to get through the
whole book well before I sit the N2 paper.

I've also finished 新完全マスター N2 文法, but I'll probably go through the exercises now. as I think I need to get more practice for
many of the grammar points. This will also be a good opportunity to mine more vocabulary and re-read the grammar explanations in
Japanese.

Anki is continuing as always. I only activated 100 new sentences and 150 new vocabulary items, but that's OK as I'm certainly not
expecting to work my way through the whole of my backlog before December. I think more vocabulary would certainly be helpful, but I
think I need to concentrate on listening and reading comprehension at the moment.

This discussion contains 256 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version