Tags: Esperanto
 Language Learning Forum : Esperanto Post Reply
hungry marianne
Australia
Joined 6976 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes

Message 1 of 8
30 March 2005 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
I've just started studying Esperanto, because that has been described here as one of the easiest languages. The problem is, I can't find a decent learning source anywhere - and not just Esperanto, either (I've tried Italian and French over the years). I always seem to find short, quick-progressing courses/etc that always overwhelm me, by giving me too much information too fast. Has anyone seen an Esperanto or French learning system- online is much preferred- that is *very* long, very slow and evenly paced, and good for absolute beginners?

I'd appreciate any help...
1 person has voted this message useful

Barreira_RJ
Brazil
Joined 6976 days ago

8 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English

Message 2 of 8
30 March 2005 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
There is a course avaiable on www.cursodeesperanto.com.br . It is avaiable on many languages.

On how and why esperanto may help you to learn other languages there is www.geocities.com/c_piron , website from a former UNO translator who defends esperanto and talks about why english is not apt to be an international language.

manna
Groupie
Kyrgyzstan
Joined 7055 days ago

94 posts - 112 votes 

Message 3 of 8
30 March 2005 at 11:24am | IP Logged 
For Esperanto I recommend http://www.lernu.net; it's a community where there are many courses available, and some nice tools to learn words, too. It's completely free.

victor
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 7115 days ago

1098 posts - 1056 votes 
6 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, FrenchC1, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 8
30 March 2005 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
I think Esperanto will give you the confidence in your language learning. Esperanto takes the basics of Romance/Germanic/Slavic languages and simplifies it. It can allow you to identify subjects/objects, nouns, verbs, plural forms of nouns...

You will learn the language in a much shorter time than the others. As long as you're intersted in learning (i.e. not learning it because it will get you to others), I think that it would be a fine choice.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7035 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 5 of 8
30 March 2005 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
I used the 'teach yourself Esperanto' which you can get used off Amazon. It's just one tape (make sure you get the tape btw), but the dialogues just seem to go on forever, and are quite good. Yes, Esperanto has got to be the easiest language there is, and has an influx of English too. There have been studies that say that you learn more in 6 months of Spanish (possibly other languages as well, French definitely) if you did some Esperanto first. I myself have not gotten deep into this language because I don't have a useful way to apply it.

victor
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 7115 days ago

1098 posts - 1056 votes 
6 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, FrenchC1, Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 8
31 March 2005 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
What I'm guessing is that Esperanto is an easier way to look at grammar. You still need to "conjugate" verbs for different tenses and you need to be very clear of the parts of speech (nouns, verbs, adjectives, conjunctions) to use them.

I think it would be most helpful to those who aren't very familiar with grammar and its terminologies. But if you think you already understand English (and preferably another language) grammar, you should be fine to move to another natural language without Esperanot in between.

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7018 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 7 of 8
01 April 2005 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
hungry marianne,

This site www.esperanto.net has mulitple links to learning Esperanto. When you learn this language it will help on other things instead of it being easy. Examples are developing good study habits, and getting the basics of language acquisition. Remember like the others who replied have an interest in it first. The benefits are transferable
once you finish climbing this hill.

Happy Studying!

Polyglot2005
United States
Joined 6985 days ago

184 posts - 185 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 8 of 8
10 April 2005 at 2:50am | IP Logged 
I would like to add to what everyone else has said. I agree that learning Esperanto will help in learning other languages. Linguists frequently talk about first foreign language acquisition. There is an imaginary barrier. Once this is crossed it is theoretically easier to learn another language. This is because you have already gone through the language learning process once through the first foreign language you have learned.

However I think learning esperanto would help the most in learning other languages which esperanto is based off. For example, Romance languages will be easier to learn because Esperanto borrows from the romance languages and Latin.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version