Language Learning Forum : Cultural Experiences in Foreign Languages Post Reply
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 1 of 4
08 April 2012 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
So, we're hopefully going to Poland in a month, and mum wants to have a few excursions (3) with a private guide. It'll be a Russian native speaker who lives there and speaks Polish, as far as I know. I think for the money it costs, I totally have the right to take advantage of this and ask at least some basic language-related questions? :P (like "what does it say?" etc)
Now any ideas on how to actually use the situation for improving my Polish? I can only think of questions like: "how to ask for X at the hotel? I said Y but they didn't understand." I suppose I can also ask how he learned Polish, whether it was difficult (and I need to warn my mum not to tell him how many languages I'm learning :D) etc. I could even deliberately mispronounce things and let him correct me, I guess O_o
Also, I assume we'll have two different guides, in Warsaw and Kraków. So some tricks can be tried twice :DDD

Has anyone done this before? :) Any tips?
1 person has voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5259 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 2 of 4
09 April 2012 at 1:37am | IP Logged 
For sure!!! I took a tour around the Stalin Museum in Gori, Georgia, and used the entire tour to practice
speaking Georgian with my guide, about everything except Stalin. She seemed really happy, although
perhaps a little nonplussed, that I was learning Georgian, and to be honest the hour I spent chatting with her
has remained with me as a much happier memory than the museum itself. I would advise you to ask him
every question you can think of, and a few more besides!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 4
09 April 2012 at 8:17am | IP Logged 
I agree. Unless he is the grumpy sort he will probably be very pleased that you are learning Polish. My
most commonly used phrase over the last week has been: What is that in Russian? And then I either make
an attempt, or I just wait for an answer. I would use him shamelessly to ask anything I wanted to know, and
if it is a Russian speaker who speaks Polish, he could probably even explain grammar points you wonder
about, since he has been through the same process. Good luck on your trip to Poland - I assume it is in a
relation to this football thing?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 4
09 April 2012 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the replies:) Any specific tips? :)
It's not really related to the European Championship though I'm hoping to visit three of the four host cities (all but Gdansk, it's too far) and even the town where the Croatian NT will stay:)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version