Finland
Joined 4403 days ago

143 posts - 284 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish*, French, SwedishC1, Esperanto
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian

Message 25 of 65
04 April 2012 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
Quote:
@Solfrid Cristin: I have to confess... the reason why I have not uploaded any videos yet,
is also because of the "technical obstacle".

I'm sure someone here could give advice. There are also video tutorials on youtube. What is it that you find difficult?

Edited by Pisces on 04 April 2012 at 10:28am

1 person has voted this message useful

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4772 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 65
04 April 2012 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
I don't know. It just scares me. I made a video once with Windows Movie Maker, but it was
just stringing photos together and adding some music. It took me about a week to finish.
Currently I don't have the program anymore (changed my laptop). How do the others make
such pro-looking vids like David Mansaray does? His videos are of amazing quality, and he
speaks to the camera as if he'd never done something else before!
It is not a lack of motivation why I didn't start learning how to do a video, but a lack
of time. I can hardly find the time to learn my new language (Dutch). So I'm happy if
someone could give me some tips via PM. ;-)
(Don't worry, I'll watch the video tutorials too.)

Edited by Mae on 04 April 2012 at 9:09pm

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5628 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 27 of 65
04 April 2012 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
Mae, I would offer you a Skype call where you can ask me questions about video-making. By chance you received my e-mail-address, so you could also ask me concrete questions about video-making via e-mail.

I am willing to help you as far as my own video-producing knowledge reaches.

Fasulye

bluecollar
Groupie
United States
Joined 5935 days ago

43 posts - 48 votes

Message 28 of 65
05 April 2012 at 5:56am | IP Logged 
There is a girl named Wendy Vo who can speak 11 languages.You guys can google her.She seems legit.

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4815 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 29 of 65
05 April 2012 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
Maybe it's just modesty. At least it would be the case for me. Sure, on paper it seems like I know a lot, but I also know there's a huge gap from where I am to where I want to be. So I haven't posted anything.

Yes, I have a YT channel, but all it has right now are short movies of my pet birds and random concert clips. It's easy to post videos, by the way. All you really need is a digital camera and a way to upload it to the website. The site will do the rest.

In the past I have thought of posting things if only to have a record for myself. As we continue to discuss it, I may go ahead and post something. I don't regularly blog, though, either. I think there might be a pressure to be consistently witty or entertaining.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4772 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Personal Language Map

Message 30 of 65
05 April 2012 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
@Fasulye: Thanks for the offer! Can you tell a bit more about your reasons why you
decided to upload videos? And what kind of feedback did you get?

@jdmoncada: Don't put yourself under pressure. There is no need to be consistently
entertaining. You can just have a blog for yourself, to keep track of what you're doing.
This is one of the main reasons why I have one. It helps me to keep focused, I can
collect info (resources, tips, etc.) there, I can get in touch with other people, etc.
Try it out! ;-)

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5628 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 65
05 April 2012 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
Mae wrote:
@Fasulye: Thanks for the offer! Can you tell a bit more about your reasons why you decided to upload videos? And what kind of feedback did you get?

With one person as an exception I got only positive feedback by all the people who reacted on my You Tube channel. For my own language learning this is very inspiring! And I like to communicate and to network with the people who visit my channel. Sometimes people make proposals in which language the would like to see a video made by me. So my channel users can have a certain influence on which kind of videos I will make.

By the way, I am not at all camera shy and I love talking in my foreign languages to an imaginative audience. I agree with Iversen to a certain extent that making You Tube videos is such fun that it can be addictive.

My Skype contacts to Richard and Amir are a result of my You Tube activities!

My geatest benefits of my You Tube videos are in my real life, which might surprise you. In my closest circle of long-lasting friends there are three women, who didn't know what the word "polyglot" means and what the abilities of polyglots are. What I did is that I played almost all of my You Tube videos to them especially to show them what is language-switching. All three of them had never listened to people doing quick language-switching before. So watching my You Tube videos was just like entering an unknown world to them. In my opinion these friendships have improved since then because I feel much better understood now.

The other benefit is that as I love inspiring other people with language learning by making videos the inspiration is more visible. Also inspiration by using Skype is also very direct.

One other advantage is that you need to have an own You Tube channel to be able to post reactions to other people's You Tube videos.

Who gave me the incentive to start making You Tube videos?

This was a former HTLAL-user called "zocurtis" who had opened a thread with the discussion topic why only male language learners and polyglots make You Tube videos.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 05 April 2012 at 11:06pm

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4772 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 32 of 65
07 April 2012 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
Thanks for your answers, Fasulye!

This discussion contains 65 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version