Aquiana
United States
Joined 4503 days ago

6 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 1 of 2
29 March 2012 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
I'm not sure how much this affects everyone, but when certain people are targeted in a country where
you're TL is spoken (and you happen to be a part of that group) does that decrease the motivation to
learn that language? Also, have other people directly (or indirectly) influenced your decision to drop that
language?
I love Russian culture and the language (and the Trans-Siberian) but I really can't see passed the
incidents that occured in certain parts. Traveling to Russia was on the top of my list, but the underlying
fear just tainted my entire image of the part of Russia that I wanted to study at, and my Rotary advisors
were insistent on being accepting and open-minded, but they couldn't truly understand my reservations
as they would not have to deal with the problem. It's like a rotten apple spoiling the whole bunch and
part of me wants to continue with atleast the language, but part of me wants to drop it completely.      
1 person has voted this message useful

yenome
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 5168 days ago

37 posts - 45 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, French, Persian
Studies: Thai, Arabic (Iraqi), Mandarin

Message 2 of 2
06 April 2012 at 6:36am | IP Logged 
Not sure what you're referring to specifically, but I doubt you can find any place where there isn't some racial discrimination.
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version