Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Log Subforum: Danish as a rare language!

Language Learning Forum : Skandinavisk & Nordisk Post Reply
31 messages over 4 pages: 1 24  Next >>
tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5248 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 17 of 31
30 July 2012 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Why is this happening? Usually, the native pronunciation (and perhaps more important:
prosody) seems to be hard to eliminate. Even though Icelandic doesn't exactly have the same prosody as Danish, I
wonder how the Icelanders sound Norwegian.

I think it has more to do with how Icelanders pronounce the vowels and consonants than with prosody.
1 person has voted this message useful

Miiyii
Groupie
Greenland
Joined 5378 days ago

59 posts - 97 votes 

Message 18 of 31
21 August 2012 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
I wonder if the same happens in Greenland?

No, none of us sound Norwegian when we speak Danish! ;)
(I'm half and half, so I of course speak with a standard Danish pronunciation whenever I speak Danish.)

Since some hard sounds in Greenlandic are also found in Danish, it's very easy for us to pronounce them.

The Danish and Greenlandic 'r' is f.x pronounced in the same way, and the Greenlandic 'double r', is pronounced
like 'kr' in the Danish words krage, krog, kræ and so on.. ! :))))

2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4623 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 19 of 31
22 August 2012 at 1:21am | IP Logged 
While searching for something else (as is often the way of these things), I happened
again upon a Youtube video of Professor Arguelles giving us an overview of Danish (he's
done one for all the Germanic languages), and then found a linked video, posted by a
Dane, who had politely asked Professor Arguelles' permission to read the same text (the
one about Luther) as a Dane would read it. He explains more about why he did it on the
video.

It's quite interesting, and answered a couple of my questions, although I'm sure I will
find the Danish spoken language an uphill struggle for some time to come!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=vkvu6S3_m2s

Edited by montmorency on 22 August 2012 at 1:23am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6498 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 31
22 August 2012 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
It is fine that he made that second 'native' reading of the text to supplement profArguelles' video, but the explanatory part contains several factual errors. For instance Danish "å" is nothing like German "ä" (that honour is reserved for "æ"), and a Danish "hakkebøf" is made of minced meat and nothing else so it can't possible be translated into "hamburger" - however the flat round meat slice inside a hamburger could be seen as a somewhat thin "hakkebøf".   

Edited by Iversen on 22 August 2012 at 11:19am

5 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4623 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 21 of 31
22 August 2012 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
It is fine that he made that second 'native' reading of the text to
supplement profArguelles' video, but the explanatory part contains several factual
errors. For instance Danish "å" is nothing like German "ä" (that honour is reserved for
"æ"), and a Danish "hakkebøf" is made of minced meat and nothing else so it can't
possible be translated into "hamburger" - however the flat round meat slice inside a
hamburger could be seen as a somewhat thin "hakkebøf".   

I actually started to post something about his comments about German & Danish sounds,
but then thought better of it, since I might have been mistaken. Good to hear from a
native speaker on the subject!

Would you say Danish ø and German ö are similar?

I used to think so, but now am having second thoughts........

Thanks.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6498 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 22 of 31
22 August 2012 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
Danish 'ø' and German 'ö' are often very close to being identical, although German hasn't got the Danish stød (a not very hard glottal stop). Let's take a few cases - first some closed 'ø' sounds:

closed:

Danish "blød" has a long and closed 'ø' before a soft d. German "blöd" has a long and closed 'ö' before a hard d. Those two are for all practical purposes the same sound.

Danish "stød" has a short and and closed vowel (ending on a soft d), but to find a similar 'ö' in German you would probably go for open syllables, and then they have a tendency to become longer.

"Skød" without the famous stød means 'lap' in English, but with stød it is the preterite of "at skyde". In both cases the vowel is closed. The word "stød" itself has somewhat ironically not got a stød.

NB: "tynd" has exactly the same /ø/-sound as "skød" - all short 'y' sounds are pronounced as 'ø', but the long ones are pronounced as ¨long German 'ü'. "tynd" has got a stød, but derivates like "tyndskid" (popular word for diarrhea) haven't got one.

more open:

Danish "brød" (porridge) and German "Brötchen" both have a fairly short vowel, but the German on is longer. To my ears the Danish sound is slightly more open, but so little that you don't have to care about it.

The vowel in Danish "køn" (gender or pretty) is also fairly open and it has 'stød', but apart from that it is similar to the sound in German "können"

very open:

Before an 'r' most vowels open up, and this also applies to both 'ø' and 'ö', as for instance in "mørk" and "mørke". The town "Görlitz" is pronounced with a similar sound.   

open o-sounds:

Before j and soft g* the written 'ø' often becomes part of a diphtong and will then be pronounced as a fairly short open o sound: "møg" (without stød), "røg" and "støj" (both with stød) are pronounced with almost the same sound as in the name "Stoiber" - apart from the stød. But there are exceptions with a long closed /ø/: "søge", "bøge" (and the imperative form "søg").

* A few hundred years ago some Danes would still pronounce a true soft 'g', which sounded almost list a voiced variant of German "ch" as in Licht. But in standard danish it will be mostly be pronounced as written j (as in the cases above).

Edited by Iversen on 26 August 2012 at 1:39am

8 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4623 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 23 of 31
24 August 2012 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
Wow, thanks Iversen. Very helpful. So, not a simple, one-size-fits-all answer, as I
should have expected. Vowels can be affected by what's around them of course (as they
also are in English).

By the way (for other reasons), I finally got around to trying:

https://acapela-box.com/AcaBox/index.php

which you recommended some time ago. (I was slow to try as I assumed it was something
I'd have to pay for! :) ) Well, you can pay, but there is a great free service, and
it's really good. I'll take a native speaker's word for it that it's not too far from
real Danish, and it sounds pretty good to me, FWIW. So if anyone else is having
problems with how a particular piece of Danish text should be pronounced, I'd say go
there and give it a try. It should be of at least some help.

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4354 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 24 of 31
24 August 2012 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I'm learning it as well but I'm aiming only for passive skills for now
and there's not much to report. I'm mostly doing LR.

I have more than enough on my plate right now, but I too am planning to learn enough
Danish to read and listen to it comfortably some time in the future. What I'm actually
shooting for is Greenlandic, but many of the better resources for it seem to be in
Danish, so why not. There's a soft spot in my heart for all Scandinavian languages. :-)

While I doubt I'm going to commit myself to speaking it, I'd love to see if I can wrap my
tongue around some of the phonetics. Sadly, all of that will have to wait until my
Swedish is just a little bit better.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version