Joined 5163 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 17 of 50
27 March 2012 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
Ellsworth wrote:
Honestly if it costs much money I will think that pretty terrible. Even if it's nonprofit
it becomes just for the wealthy and loses a lot of credence in my book.

Of course it will cost money. The real question is who will pay those costs?

It sounds like you do not believe it should be the students of the academy. In which case, who else should it be?

Indeed, it's inevitable. Even if you had a special program for people who can't afford it and who could work their way through the program, it still sounds like getting there would be expensive. In any case, it's a secondary issue considering the very existence of the place is uncertain.

Sounds like a place I'd quit my job to go work at, though ;)

Edited by Arekkusu on 27 March 2012 at 4:01pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5511 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 18 of 50
27 March 2012 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
I should say for one of my classes at school, we need to pitch a product or service.

I might try to get my group to do the language academy. It would be interesting.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6364 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 19 of 50
28 March 2012 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Sounds like a place I'd quit my job to go work at, though ;)

You and me both!

BabelSushi
United States
Joined 4413 days ago

7 posts - 29 votes

Message 20 of 50
29 March 2012 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
It's nice seeing renewed interest in this idea.

Of course, a business plan and funding are on our radar as being key steps in the process, but those are not our strong suits, so we're working on getting the right people involved. There will be an update shortly.

As for whether we're talking about the "institute" or the "academy", to be honest, I've (perhaps sloppily) used the words interchangeably, simply because it wasn't my intention to talk about business strategy in this thread. Let's just say that we're working on getting the right minds together to form some incarnation of the professor's school, taking into account all relevant factors, which will hopefully evolve into the pinnacle, given time.

And my personal belief is that this type of education is amongst the most valuable one could ask for in today's job market. My reasoning is beyond the scope of this thread.

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6098 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 21 of 50
31 March 2012 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
I myself was in contact with him earlier this year regarding this very matter, and I even made some investigations for its location here in New Zealand, at the professor's request. Now, I have next to no business experience myself, but there was the possibility of applying for what the Ministry of Education calls "funding rounds", which, assuming it were granted, would go some way to getting the thing going.

The idea of an online institute is a rather good one, perhaps more viable both financially and in terms of reaching more students. I suspect the professor would prefer a physical "bricks and mortar" location, however.

Edited by ChristopherB on 31 March 2012 at 1:10pm

BabelSushi
United States
Joined 4413 days ago

7 posts - 29 votes

Message 22 of 50
03 April 2012 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
I agree that the professor would much prefer a bricks and mortar location, given all that he's said about teaching proper shadowing technique, and his penchant for tradition.

New Zealand would be an interesting location for it. I'd take any excuse to move there!

Unrelated to the institute/academy but perhaps of interest to some of you, a major Singaporean newspaper (The Straits Times) recently published an article about Professor Arguelles, which I am including here.

[Edited for typo.]

Edited by BabelSushi on 03 April 2012 at 10:03am

11 persons have voted this message useful

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6098 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 23 of 50
03 April 2012 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
If only you´d posted it a day earlier...I paid for a subscription just to read it. There goes seven dollars...

By the way, if you´re serious about NZ as a location, I would be very happy to make further enquiries.

BabelSushi
United States
Joined 4413 days ago

7 posts - 29 votes

Message 24 of 50
05 April 2012 at 3:59am | IP Logged 
ChristopherB wrote:
If only you´d posted it a day earlier...I paid for a subscription just to read it. There goes seven dollars...

By the way, if you´re serious about NZ as a location, I would be very happy to make further enquiries.

Ultimately it won't be my decision, of course, but that's good to know and could be very helpful when the time comes. Thanks!

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 50 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version