Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

LibriVox Polyglottery

Language Learning Forum : Lessons in Polyglottery Post Reply
Zwlth
Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 4985 days ago

154 posts - 320 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Dutch, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, French, Persian, Greek

Message 1 of 2
08 March 2012 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
There is a project on LibriVox that will likely be of interest to anyone interested in polyglottery. It is called the LibriVox Language Learning Collection. Three volumes have come out and a fourth is scheduled. They are mainly comprised of readings from the first chapters of self-teaching textbooks in a smorgasboard of languages and thus provide nice introductory overviews to them. They also contain a few chapters that provide 19th century perspectives on how to learn languages. I found "The Study of Living Languages" by Sir Arthur Cotton on Volume 1 to be particularly interesting as it discusses how to go about learning languages that have no real didactic resources.

I note that the fourth volume was orginally scheduled for completion on the 1st of March, but most of its slots are still unassigned. Perhaps this is a chance for some of us to get involved after we savor the other three volumes?

Incidentally, the coordinator of the project, Nicholas James Bridgewater, is obviously a polyglot himself as he has done readings so far in Arabic, Persian, Latin, Greek, and Esperanto.

Another polyglot on LibriVox is Christian Al-Kadi. He is my favorite "non-professional" (i.e., free) German narrator. His recordings are always of the highest sound quality, he is as good at getting into character as the best professional narrators, and, above all, I find his refined and elegant German to be an excellent model. Morever, I've always noticed that he reads foreign language words and phrases in German texts very well, and now, in checking his full list of recordings, I find that he has also done readings in English, French, Spanish, and Chinese.

Edited by Zwlth on 08 March 2012 at 3:14am

7 persons have voted this message useful

garethnboyd
United States
Joined 5111 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Arabic (Iraqi)

Message 2 of 2
29 July 2012 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
This looks great. I can't wait to listen. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version