United States
Joined 4473 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 9 of 42
22 February 2012 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
He's excellent, but he's obviously reciting a text he's learned by heart.

Right. I don't think there's much we can judge from the video if we're inclined to real skepticism, as we have no idea where the words he's reciting came from, how he practiced for the video, etc.

I'm inclined to assume that we're talking about someone with real skills, though, given that the accent and delivery are pretty good across the board, and he doesn't appear to be selling anything (key, in my mind). He also presents a completely believable story of how he acquired his languages and his self-described skill levels.

FWIW, the German text sounds reasonably sophisticated and well-delivered to my ears, though I tend to assume that European polyglots will be better at French and German than their other languages.
1 person has voted this message useful

Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 4931 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 10 of 42
22 February 2012 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
WHY DIDNĀ“T HE LEARN OUR PRETTY LANGUAGE????
5 persons have voted this message useful

Huliganov
Octoglot
Poland
huliganov.tvRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5140 days ago

91 posts - 304 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish, French, German, Russian, Spanish, Esperanto, Czech
Studies: Romanian, Turkish, Mandarin, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 11 of 42
22 February 2012 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
Thanks to Alex Rawlings and the BBC coverage of this, polyglotism is back on the mass media menu. I got called by Polish Radio Three today and the journalist swung round about noon and interviewed me about my method for about twenty minutes, of which unfortunately only 5 minutes can possibly make the show, which for any folk from Poland following the thread is apparently the breakfast show. For them just hearing a British person speaking Polish is already evidence of polyglotism - I didn't get asked to do the performing seal bit in a bunch of languages, which is fine by me as I only keep about 5 or 6 that active at any one time anyhow and in the rest I'd be umming and ahing for he first hour or so, but I have to say that when Polyglots do that performing seal thing one does indeed never know the extent to which they simply prepared each bit and rehearsed beforehand.

I have no idea whether Alex Rawlings would have looked so fluent in a situation where the interviewer would have asked him random questions, but I will say this, he has a very good accent in most of his languages. I noticed a few things I would have changed in the Russian, (one wrong stress and one wrong case choice) but even there his imitation of the Russian sound and accent was admirable, for a fairly short time of study.

But thanks to him anyway, for me getting some National Radio exposure piggybacking on his BBC story!

7 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 42
22 February 2012 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
The Russian text was certainly not corrected by a native speaker and he probably wrote it himself. The morphology is all correct and that's impressive, but the syntax is mostly odd (and I count CHOOSING the case as syntax).
3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4492 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 13 of 42
23 February 2012 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
His accent in Dutch is relatively strong though.
3 persons have voted this message useful

drp9341
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 4697 days ago

115 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: Italian, English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 14 of 42
27 February 2012 at 5:10am | IP Logged 
I'm always amazed at how harsh the criticism is here towards polyglots!

This guy seems very talented to me, although his Italian accent doesn't seem super impressive,
his Spanish accent seems good though.

I honestly don't believe he is "fluent" in all those languages though, just considering the quantity of time it takes to
get fluent, and considering his age, it just doesn't seem feasible, I doubt he would lie, but as we all know mass
media tends to exaggerate quite often.

I would love to see if he had any contact info so we could get n touch with him and learn from this guy!

6 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 15 of 42
27 February 2012 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
Harsh criticism, where? We're just trying to figure out how good he really is. He doesn't state that he has C1 in X, B2 in Y and doesn't really describe his level anyhow, apart from saying he HOPES to be fluent in Russian soon.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4776 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 42
29 December 2012 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
Alex Rawlings has now a Blog "RawLangs" and a Twitter account.
Have fun reading! :-)

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version