Diglot
Germany
Joined 4462 days ago

29 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 17 of 25
20 March 2012 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
The holiday got cancelled for yesterday and today, because 2 coworkers got sick... But from tomorrow I can concentrate on my Japanese learning again.

Yesterday I found my old Gameboy DS lite I bought 3 years ago in Japan, including the Kanji Dictionary: 漢字そのまま DS楽引辞典(TM) (Official Site)
It's really great, I love it. I'm so glad I rediscovered it.
My Japanese is not good enough to read the monolingual dictionary entries, but there is a small JP-EN dictionary, too.
I use it for my SRS, instead of writing the whole kanji on a piece of paper, I use the Gameboy. Very motivational, to see my handwriting beeing transformed into a good looking kanji ;)

Edited by r0pe on 20 March 2012 at 5:32pm

1 person has voted this message useful

r0pe
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4462 days ago

29 posts - 33 votes

Message 18 of 25
24 March 2012 at 9:32am | IP Logged 
I've started reading the Penguin Parallel Texts... and now I'm happy, I had to learn the Kanji for "gravesite", "cemetery", "pagoda" in the Heisig... I never thought I need to use those kanji.

。。。エビータのお墓でも見てみようか、。 。。
墓地は公園かと思うくらい緑が多かった。。 。。
。。。、高い塔がそびえたっていた。

I need to look up most of the words nontheless, because I don't know the compounds by now. But it still is motivating to identify a lot of them.

With Heisig I'm still at chapter 22, that "heart"-radical is driving me crazy... 悦 恒 悼 憾 。。。With all those Kanji it's hard for me to imagine good stories... In the German edition the heart radical on the left of the Kanji is called "Gemütszustand" (emotional state)... but I'm still motivated. They are all in my SRS now, let us wait and see how it works.

r0pe
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4462 days ago

29 posts - 33 votes

Message 19 of 25
28 March 2012 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
Today I had a closer look into the features of Anki. I imported kore2k, with audio and images... what an odyssey... somehow I tried to get the audio files synced with the imported deck... after several failures, I found an youtube-video about the dropbox and I finally made it. Now it's really great.

I also added about 40 words from 小さな闇 by Yoshimoto Banana, with audio files for each vocabulary.

Until now, I've only used surusu.com, with infinite number of words. I'm still using it for my Heisig studies.
Now with anki, it only gives me 20 new words per day.. it probably will get more useful after several days, with some reviews of older words.

r0pe
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4462 days ago

29 posts - 33 votes

Message 20 of 25
03 April 2012 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
Today I received "A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar". From now I'd like to learn more about Japanese grammar. I started the Anki deck with Tae Kims Grammar.
Besides the Grammar I'm continuing my Heisig studies.

Yesterday I've seen the movie "Mercury Rising" with Bruce Willis and the great Miko Hughes playing an autistic boy.

Looking for the Japanese word for "autism", I think it's another great example of an easy to remember compound: 自閉症 (じへいしょう)
自 oneself
閉 closed; shut
症 illness; symptoms

r0pe
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4462 days ago

29 posts - 33 votes

Message 21 of 25
11 April 2012 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
Like I wrote in my last posting, I'm trying to concentrate on grammar topics.

Especially there are two parts I very often encounter in Japanese texts, but that I don't understand completely yet.

- という: In some texts there is a lot of "toiu". Not in the case of "... called ...", but with the meaning of "that...". One example sentence from "Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar": 友達が今日来るということをすっかり忘れて いた。(I completely forgot the fact that my friend is coming today.)
At least now I can identify it as "that sth... " when I read it. But using it in my own sentences is much more difficult.

- の: Not in the case of a possessive particle. But in the form of a nominalizer. Example sentence: 私はジムさんがビールを飲むのを見ました。 (I saw Jim drink beer.)
I don't completely understand the nominalization of whole phrases, yet. Some examples from wikipedia: もう、食べたの?(Have you eaten yet?). 彼にもうあげたのよ!(I already gave it to him!).
Definitely a topic I need to look into.

By now, I knew about modifying of Nouns etc., but only in a very limited form. The "Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar" gives a good overview of ESU, "Extended Sentential Units" on several pages. It helps to learn identifying, where a modifier starts and where it ends. Like in the example: 私は中学に入った時に父が買ったくれた小さ な辞書をまだ使っている。Here, the whole part starting with 中学 until 小さな is the modifier that modifies the noun 辞書.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6417 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 22 of 25
12 April 2012 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
r0pe wrote:

- の: Not in the case of a possessive particle. But in the form of a nominalizer. Example sentence: 私はジムさんがビールを飲むのを見ました。 (I saw Jim drink beer.)
I don't completely understand the nominalization of whole phrases, yet. Some examples from wikipedia: もう、食べたの?(Have you eaten yet?). 彼にもうあげたのよ!(I already gave it to him!).
Definitely a topic I need to look into.

The の in もう、食べたの?and 彼にもうあげたのよ! isn't actually a nominalizer. It is used to make the sentence into an explanation. That is, someone asks why he isn't eating, and you answer that he's already eaten. In this kind of sentence の can also be abbreviated to ん. Since you are using "A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar," I suggest you look under the topic のだ for a better and more complete explanation.

r0pe
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4462 days ago

29 posts - 33 votes

Message 23 of 25
13 April 2012 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for your help Brun Ugle.
I knew about んだ、んです。。。, but forgot it's derived from のだ。。。

r0pe
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4462 days ago

29 posts - 33 votes

Message 24 of 25
19 April 2012 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
First the new words in my favorites word list:

Japanese seem to have several words about their beloved onsen bathing:
湯あたり(ゆあたり)dizziness caused by prolonged hot bath
湯疲れ(ゆづかれ)weariness caused by prolonged hot bath

民主主義(みんしゅしゅぎ)democracy
I love how 民(people), 主(lord, chief) and 義(justice, morality) combine to "democracy".

虫恐怖症(むしきょうふしょう)insect phobia
虫(insect)
恐(fear)
怖(be frightened, fearful)
症(symptoms, illness)

Over the last days I collected new vocabs from yomiuri news into my anki deck. I'm still not sure, if anki is the best way to learn new vocab for me, but I'm going to continue for a while. When I started learning Japanese some years ago, I've been using the Genki 1 book, which provided Romaji for the first vocabularies. Maybe I have to train myself to read Hiragana in the same manner I read Romaji. My brain still converts Hiragana into Romaji and after that tries to memorize the vocab.
My decks contain Kanji and Hiragana on the front, and the meaning on the back. That's why my brain remembers the look of some kanjis to memorize the words, but not the Hiragana.
At first I didn't worry too much, because I thought with Furigana turned on, I still would be able to read Japanese texts.
But now I'm a little depressed, because it feels that I haven't learned a single new word 100%. In the end I don't want to only read, but also understand spoken Japanese.
The other option would be, learning only the Hiragana of a word, omitting the Kanji completely. That would mean, I have to learn every word a second time with Kanji.

That reminds me of RTK, which I neglected a lot over the last weeks.. I'm still around #500... need to continue soon.

Edited by r0pe on 19 April 2012 at 8:52pm

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version