Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5963 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 1 of 11
10 January 2012 at 1:41pm | IP Logged 
For those learning, more than one language, how often do you rotate between languages ? Do you study a number of languages a day ? Or do you differ them on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis ?

1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5823 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 2 of 11
10 January 2012 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
I try to get a proper conversation in each at least for an hour a week. When I'm active, I'll also listen to a few hours of radio or a couple of TV programs each week. Right now, though, I'm focusing on Gaelic and I've kind of let the others slip. (Which is obvious from my speeling msitkaes. :-( )

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5541 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 3 of 11
10 January 2012 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
I was thinking if you study a language for 15-20 weeks you can probably get through most of an Assimil course in that period of time.

Then you would have to maintain it somehow by reading & listening to material, although maybe the second half of Assimil might work for awhile.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4942 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 4 of 11
10 January 2012 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
For those learning, more than one language, how often do you rotate between languages ? Do you study a number of languages a day ? Or do you differ them on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis ?

I try to do something in each language every day. For languages that I speak and just need to maintain, that could just be reading a short article or talking on the phone - something that's not really considered studying. And a couple of my languages are used for work, so those get used throughout the day.

For active study languages I'll probably spend a couple hours a day, combined. I'm actively studying two languages, so that's usually not too much of a strain. If there comes a time that I don't feel like studying (it happens), I'll still try and get in something passive, like watching a TV show or listening to music/news/whatever.

R.
==

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6394 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 5 of 11
10 January 2012 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
I don't maintain my languages. I do return to them and restudy, but I don't really do any maintenance work.
Sometimes it can take many months between uses of a language (especially French, which I rarely encounter unless I
seek it out).

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 11
10 January 2012 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
I don't consciously try to do something in most of them every day, but I love them all and I have stuff that interests me, so it mostly happens naturally. SRS also helps me to "stay in touch" with the language. The amount of exposure depends on what I feel like and what's available.

edit: specific examples - I use Vistalizator and FuzzyTime, and I switch the languages regularly. I use software and sites in Finnish, Portuguese, Italian. I have English and Russian at the very bottom of my preferred languages list in Firefox. My iPod is usually set on random.

Edited by Serpent on 10 January 2012 at 3:58pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5736 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 7 of 11
10 January 2012 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
I plan to do some activity in half of my languages on Monday, Wedneday and Friday and the other half on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. In practice this doesn't always happen and if, for example, I decide I really want to focus on a particular language then I will just do something in that language.

Edited by mick33 on 10 January 2012 at 10:07pm

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5161 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 8 of 11
10 January 2012 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
I'm constantly switching between working on and using Czech and Hungarian throughout the day every day, I feel very bad if I have a day without Hungarian and terrible if I miss a day in Czech (this hasn't happened for a couple of years though). I also try to do a bit of Spanish a few times a week and then allow myself some wanderlust sometimes when it takes hold of me.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version