Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How should I systematically dismember a text ?

Tags: Reading
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
11 messages over 2 pages: 1
mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5038 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 9 of 11
11 January 2012 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
If we were voting, I'd go for 'rip apart' or 'gut'. For the fussy, 'take apart' may be a good compromise between plain and pedantic English :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5578 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 10 of 11
12 January 2012 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
My vote goes to disembowel.

Cainntear wrote:
Adverbs are also rarely important to your understanding of the plot -- they're just there to add colour, so there's no need to look them up.

I almost agree.

Remster, what exactly do you need to do with the books except for 'reading', and which are the books in question?

For example, Cainntear's advice is suitable when you want to use the books for language study, and to get a general idea of the text. But some of the German books I know can't be treated like that - you simply won't understand them well enough to work with the text.
Volte's second option is where I'd start when reading for good comprehension, but rather than simply looking up unknown words and forms I'd read until I encounter a sentence I do not understand immerdiately, and then I would:
Copy the sentence by hand, with spaces between words
While writing each word, recall its meaning, name its form, identify its relation to the surrounding words and jot down a makeshift translation
Look up all words and forms and grammar points I couldn't recognize
Divide the sentence into different clauses
Find the predicate of the main clause
Find its subject and its objects
Identify how secondary clauses fit into the sentence (linked with a conjunction or taking the place of an object, for example)
Reduce the main clause to predicate, subject and necessary objects
Translate that core sentence
Add all other words from the main clause one after the other into my translation, including secondary clauses that work like objects
Translate remaining secondary clauses like the main clause, then link the secondary clause to the main clause to form a meaningful sentence
Once again, look at the way words interact, which words another word modifies, how word choice and word order change the overall meaning etc.
Once I'm sure I actually understood what that sentence means and how it works, read until I encounter the next difficult sentence.

Sounds like a real hassle, but works like a charm for me: Once I've worked through a sentence pattern like that, I never need to do it again for similar sentences.

But if you have to look for stylistic devices that doesn't go far enough, so after understanding a paragraphs well, the next pass should deal with that, too.

Edited by Bao on 12 January 2012 at 11:37pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6191 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 11
12 January 2012 at 1:32am | IP Logged 
Faranight wrote:
newyorkeric wrote:
Dismember doesn't strike me as the right word here. It's
usually used for chopping up
bodies into little pieces like in Goodfellas or the Sopranos.

I think the word you want to use here is deconstruct.

As others have said, I don't think you know what deconstruction means. Sorry if it sounds harsh, but a great
pet
peeve of mine is a person who presumes to correct another person, only to blunder again with a
catachresis
himself.

That's why I wrote *think.* I wasn't sure what the right word was...as meramarina has said deconstructing has taken on the meaning of breaking into smaller pieces to analyze which sounds like what the OP might have wanted to do based on the use of dismember.

Edited by newyorkeric on 12 January 2012 at 3:27am

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version