Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Your L2 is Easy!

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: Your L2 is Easy - does hearing this encourage or discourage you?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
25 [64.10%]
14 [35.90%]
You can not vote in this poll

28 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6595 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 25 of 28
13 January 2012 at 1:25pm | IP Logged 
[x] neither

Most of the time I don't take it too seriously, because it's such a subjective
statement. I have seen how my perception of what's easy and hard in languages has
changed dramatically in only a couple of years, so I don't expect anyone to give me an
assessment that would be appropriate to where I happen to be right now in my
exploration of languages.

There may be aspects of a particular language that are objectively easier or harder
than other aspects, but even that I think is less objective than we like to think. It's
hard to say what's really going to cause me problems the day that I do begin to study
language X. In high school I thought French grammar was so hard whereas the phonology
was fascinating but quite easy in comparison. Today I understand French grammar very
easily because of all the grammar study I did in Italian, whereas the phonology is
holding me back as I haven't advanced my knowledge in this area much since high school.

Edited by numerodix on 13 January 2012 at 1:26pm

1 person has voted this message useful

SueK
Groupie
United States
Joined 4563 days ago

77 posts - 133 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 26 of 28
13 January 2012 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
It makes no difference. I'm told Mandarin is hard, but am consistantly told it's hard because of the tones. I don't find the tones difficult at all.  English doesn't sound right if you don't certain tones and emphasis in words. Personally, I think hipopatomous has 3 tones in it. Then we overlay sentence tones over our words!Wow, learn that correctly! Mandarin simply has stricter rules around correct pronunciation of individual words. I'd still want to pronounce correctly, so it makes no differnce to me.

The grammer seems relatively simple, so I'm finding Mandarin overall to be easy. Relatively, of course. I won't be fluent tomorrow, but haven't encountered anything to scare me off either!

Spanish scares me. I know, that's one of those 'easy' ones, but I had a bad teacher once who made me nervous of my ability to conjugate verbs and I struggle to imagine learning a gender for every noun! Nope, I'll stick with Mandarin, much easier!
3 persons have voted this message useful

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5227 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 27 of 28
13 January 2012 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
How does this pertain to the topic?

This topic is about others judging languages as being easy, and it was about whether or not any given language can truly be "easy".

I'm trying hard to figure out how that doesn't pertain.

nway wrote:
It's absolutely directed towards people like him. No offense - but is it possible you have posted in the wrong thread?

I've heard people call a lot of languages easy, but Mandarin has never been one of them. Clearly these elusive "Chinese-is-so-easy!" people amongst the general populace must have been eluding me all these years.

SueK doesn't seem to have encountered many of them either...

Edited by nway on 13 January 2012 at 4:27pm

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5227 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 28 of 28
14 January 2012 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
Evidently...

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version