Joined 5571 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 161 of 162
21 June 2015 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with your studies!

I am curious about your Sanskrit "fun stuff".
1 person has voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5839 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 162 of 162
22 June 2015 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
Anya wrote:
I am curious about your Sanskrit "fun stuff".

Thanks for the wishes. Likewise to you. Lesson 37 of Assimil Sanskrit? What does that entail?

As for the fun stuff, it's pretty much what you can expect from this language: Bhagavad-gita, Yoga terminology, Gods and festivities, Vedic texts, epics, etc.

I write this casually but I have a real interest in Indian culture. My teacher is the Hindi lecturer of a local University, and he's always happy to have new students. However, when a common friend mentioned that I wanted to learn Sanskrit, it was a different ballgame altogether. Before accepting, he gave me the third degree and, seeing my genuine interest in his culture, set out to find the materials and a method I could use.

Most languages are not "cool-neutral". Due to the recent adoption in the West of some aspects of Indian culture (most often than not, in a biased way, but let's not go into that here) Sanskrit has a high "cool factor".
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 162 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version