Portugal
Joined 5843 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 49 of 162
17 July 2013 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
Arabic

Recently, the Al-Jazeera network made some cultural pieces about Portugal.

Since the Arabic learning "scene" is not that big over here, some of the people speaking are my friends and colleagues.

Originally, they spoke Portuguese, French and English. The pieces were then 100% dubbed into Arabic.

There are pieces on: fado, Lisbon, the Algarve and bullfighting. I'm not keen on the last one, but it's there.

If you understand Arabic, search "aljazeera channel البرتغال" inside youtube. Those will be the first four results on the list (about 2 to 3 minutes each).

I dare say these are nice, even if you don't understand Arabic.

Hope you enjoy.
1 person has voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5843 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 50 of 162
02 September 2013 at 4:52am | IP Logged 
It's been almost a month and a half since I've posted here for the last time. Meanwhile, I've been posting in other areas of the forum.

The main reason is because I'm also a "mature learner with perfectionistic tendencies". Yes, that's it: I've been reading some of my teammate's logs. I loved the expression, and I believe it applies here.

German

Something very interesting happened at the end of July - beginning of August: I met my last teacher at Lisbon's Goethe-Institut for a cup of coffee. As he's German, that means a few beers. :) One beer led to another, we went for a walk, and ended up going to dinner at a restaurant I know. All in all, nine (!) straight hours speaking German (with a professional teacher, no less) while checking out places in Lisbon's lovely city centre. Not bad. Not bad at all. And a few days later, another dose of the same.

That went so well that I decided that September would be the month for tying up loose ends, as far as the German language is concerned. If I can hold my own for that many straight hours, why not make a comprehensive review of the language? And today I started, as planned. Let's see how it goes...

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4404 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 51 of 162
02 September 2013 at 8:12am | IP Logged 
Good to hear your update. I have to choose between reading the forum and reading content in German, so I probably am missing a lot of good stuff on the forum. Anything interesting you've run across?

Congratulations on your nine hours! That is really fantastic. I look forward to hearing more about your plans for comprehensive review.

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5843 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 52 of 162
02 September 2013 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
Yes, the comprehensive review:

1. I'm using the grammar topics I got in a site called mein-deutschbuch.de. The level of detail is nice (if you already know what you're looking for). You can read online, but the site also has the topics set up for PDF printing. Neat, huh?

2. Yesterday, I just took a few pages, got them into plastic pockets and brought them to read in the tube (subway). Since it was not a lot, I ended up reading some parts two or three times. Today, I'm picking up a new set.

3. Last month, I tried a different approach: I picked up a small paperback in German and a yellow highlighter. During my travels, I read the story (managing to get the gist of it) and highlighted all the words I didn't know (or wasn't sure about). The approach eventually failed because it got too boring to check all the words once I got home.

4. That's the reason why I think this new approach might work: even though I have 100+ pages of grammar to review, I can slice the study into small bits. And I don't create backlogs of boring tasks.

Edited by Luso on 03 September 2013 at 11:35pm

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5843 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 53 of 162
05 September 2013 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday, I found myself yearning for the special moment when I get to throw out some of my learning materials.

This usually happens when the actual learning is so far behind that you wouldn't resort to the materials, even if you had to refresh something.

I know this may be seen as a heresy by some among you: first of all, I must start by saying that nowadays, this means recycling a big deal of the stuff; then, we now have the internet, so the very unique text we are throwing away is not so unique after all; and then there is the room availability issue, of course: sometimes, you just don't have a choice.

I don't know whether this is true or not, but the film industry has consistently shown us that there are numberless parents' attics across North America filled with all sorts of stuff that's never thrown away (and has a knack for appearing at the exact time when it's needed). And that's not only over there: I knew a person that, due to room availability, still kept all of her childhood stuff: books, hefts, school stuff, etc. Talk about emotional load.

Back to language learning, I must say that I don't have my French and English learning materials anymore for a long time now. Not even dictionaries: if I need something, I just go to the web. When I finished my formal classroom German studies I made a materials' review: many pages found their way into the recycling bin. All in all, it was a good moment.

I know this is a topic beyond consensus. Furthermore, it contains a lot of emotion-related stuff. But I wanted to write about this other side of the learning experience.

sei
Diglot
Portugal
Joined 5723 days ago

178 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 54 of 162
13 September 2013 at 4:05am | IP Logged 
Don't throw out stuff! Give them away to someone who might need/want them. :) I'd take
some German materials. :P

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5843 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 55 of 162
13 September 2013 at 7:48am | IP Logged 
sei wrote:
Don't throw out stuff! Give them away to someone who might need/want them. :) I'd take some German materials. :P

Não tencionava deitar fora livros. Estava a referir-me mais a páginas isoladas, bocados de cadernos, testes antigos, etc. Por isso tenho alguma coisa. Manda-me uma "PM", que talvez consigamos combinar alguma coisa. Se for o caso, tenho o maior prazer. Seja como for, há coisas que ainda estou a usar. Mas podemos ver isso. ;)

Anyway, thanks for your comment. It gives me the opportunity to say that I didn't intend to throw out everything. Some stuff (e.g. books) I'll try to give. When I'm through with them, of course. :)

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5867 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 56 of 162
13 September 2013 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
what a fantastic benchmark for language learning. I love to throw out old stuff. I have to keep French because my daughter is taking French, but I'd love to get rid of my older Japanese stuff. Some of it is really old.

This discussion contains 162 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version