Portugal
Joined 5843 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 25 of 162
03 January 2013 at 2:09am | IP Logged 
Dagane wrote:
I'd love to study Sumerian. I started to some years ago, after discovering a great graphic dictionary whose link I lost along with my old laptop... However, you must know that there're different ways to say (to write, and that's difficult) every concept. I guess that's because of the long survival of the language, regardless it's dead now. I guess the same applies for Mandarin, Persian and Sanskrit. Japanese has got different ways of writing by the way. No idea as for Tibetan.

It's the same in Arabic. Many words that are seen as part of this or that dialect are part of the language. It's just that they've fallen out of use in some places.
1 person has voted this message useful

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5738 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 26 of 162
03 January 2013 at 5:23am | IP Logged 
Good luck Luso, ambitious and interesting mix of learning goals!

Luso wrote:
Tsopivo wrote:
Do you have any idea what that 8th language will be ?

It will depend on my interests at the time. I'm almost sure it will be an Asian one.

Could be (in alphabetical order): Japanese / Mandarin / Persian / Sanskrit / Sumerian / Tibetan / ...

You have undoubtedly piqued the interest of many of those on the forum who possess unquenched wanderlust, wondering what it will be. For what it may be worth, I am pretty sure there are extra karma points available for Tibetan....

Edited by Spanky on 03 January 2013 at 5:25am

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5843 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 27 of 162
03 January 2013 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
Spanky wrote:
Good luck Luso, ambitious and interesting mix of learning goals!

(...)

You have undoubtedly piqued the interest of many of those on the forum who possess unquenched wanderlust, wondering what it will be. For what it may be worth, I am pretty sure there are extra karma points available for Tibetan....

Thank you for your wishes, mate.

As far as the "karma" comment goes, I am sure that Sanskrit would rate higher than Tibetan, and Chinese and Japanese would be very close. Not forgetting Pali, of course. I have formal studies on such subjects, completed by extensive reading.

For the "unquenched wanderlust" part, I'd like to clarify that I'll be learning one of the above languages.

Let me elaborate on one point: for me, one learns languages for (one of) two main reasons. They may occur simultaneously, but I'm yet to find the need for a third category. Those are:
1. You have some use for it (you need it for work, to communicate in general, to meet new people, to read something, for religious purposes, etc.). This reason covers most of the people who learn languages in the world (90 - 99% ?).
2. You just love it for itself, no matter how useless it may seem. It's the "romantic" approach. You may even be reluctant to tell your friends about it (what's it for, anyway?). Whatever practical use you get out of it is just a bonus.

All "my" languages fall in both categories, except for Arabic, for which I haven't had a lot of practical use (yet?). An eighth language would (will) be just a "romantic" endeavour.

Final note: I notice there must be a lot of like-minded persons in this forum. Mention Spanish, French or German, and you're just one more in the crowd (not that's anything wrong with it - it's a nice crowd). Whisper "Tibetan" or "Sanskrit" and your popularity soars sky-high. :)

Edited by Luso on 03 January 2013 at 5:30pm

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6402 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 28 of 162
03 January 2013 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
Hi Luso,

Would you mind putting the names of your teams in the title of your log? It makes it so much easier to find for someone (like me) who is just scrolling through the list of logs looking for their teammates. You don't really need the names of the languages since they are there as tags anyway.

You do have an impressive list of languages. I'm just hoping to find a way to balance Japanese and Spanish. It must be difficult to do so many. Good luck!

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5843 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 29 of 162
03 January 2013 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
Hi Luso,

Would you mind putting the names of your teams in the title of your log? It makes it so much easier to find for someone (like me) who is just scrolling through the list of logs looking for their teammates. You don't really need the names of the languages since they are there as tags anyway.

You do have an impressive list of languages. I'm just hoping to find a way to balance Japanese and Spanish. It must be difficult to do so many. Good luck!

Thanks for your wishes, Janice. I wish the same for "your" Japanese and Spanish.

Regarding your request, I've changed my log title accordingly.

Just for the record, I'm learning German, Italian and Arabic. Some of those I've been learning for several years now. There's a lot of people with more impressive goals in this forum. However, considering the world at large, I guess it's somewhat impressive. :)

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5843 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 30 of 162
04 January 2013 at 8:11am | IP Logged 
German:
I'm starting strong this year. My current approach needs a bit of discipline but it will pay off in the end.

I'm following a grammar from beginning to end. It's an intermediate grammar but it should do the trick.

The idea is to avoid skipping steps. Some tasks are a bit useless, like reviewing basic features of, say, a verb. But this approach prevents me from doing things like "oh, let's take a look at Futur II". I'd rather spend an hour building a scheme for verb tenses and moods and then look at the Futur II, or whatever.

Following this method, I won't be coming back to check on every feature each semester.

Sometimes it's tiresome to stick to this procedure, but I'm sure it will compensate in the future.

Edited by Luso on 04 January 2013 at 8:13am

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4404 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 31 of 162
14 January 2013 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
I like your approach. If the fundamentals become automatic, you can give all your energy and attention to the more challenging and interesting stuff. Have fun!

JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4234 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, Italian
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 32 of 162
14 January 2013 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
If you're still considering joining the Super Challenge it is NOT too late!! I joined
with Arabic and Croatian in November and added Italian in late December. There are other
options posted in the Twitter Bot page http://www.languagechallenge.surrealix.com/ I'm
finding the Challenge to be a great guide and motivator to continue learning outside of
the textbook stuff. I also love seeing the charts and lists of what I've already done,
it's all very neat :)

Since you already speak three Romance languages, have you found anything in Italian
that's specially challenging or radically different from the other Romance languages?

This discussion contains 162 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version