Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5820 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 17 of 162
18 December 2012 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the suggestion, Kerrie. I don't have a smartphone (not yet, at least). I believe it will be one of the first apps to get, once I have one.

On the other hand, I like to use Anki while having an internet window open, so that I may explore the odd word a bit further.

I have also developed an additional technique: I use German-English cards (so far I haven't found there an unknown English word). I jot down new words on a piece of paper while doing my reviews and, whenever I find the time, I go back there and translate the words from German to Portuguese, replacing the English side of the card with the Portuguese word. Sometimes the hiatus between jotted down words and the actual translation amounts to a few days, but this is not very important to me.

This way:
a) I build upon the basic translation;
b) I get to distinguish between "old" cards and "new" ones; and
c) by not following up too closely (remember the "hiatus" part?), I don't turn it into a nightmare (by having too many self-imposed rules).

Pretty neat, huh?

Edited by Luso on 18 December 2012 at 7:22am

1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5154 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 18 of 162
18 December 2012 at 7:28am | IP Logged 
Luso wrote:
On the other hand, I like to use Anki while having an internet window open, so that I may explore the odd word a bit further.

I always add them at the computer, so sometimes I do the same thing. But once the words are entered into Anki, it's really convenient to have them all in your pocket wherever you go. :)

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5820 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 19 of 162
18 December 2012 at 8:16am | IP Logged 
I know what you mean. And, as I said, once I get one, I'm bound to install Anki.

Anyway, I use the subway quite often, and I always have a paperback with me. I've considered buying an e-book reader but, to be frank, I still prefer the old-fashioned format.

In fact, in the last couple of days, I've even been tempted to join one of these "Super Challenges". 100 books or films in German or Italian would be a nice challenge to tackle. And I really enjoy Solfrid Cristin's approach. I don't know whether it's too late to join, though.

Oh, I've just noticed: this is my 100th post.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5154 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 20 of 162
18 December 2012 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 

Oh, come join us for the Super Challenge. It's a really great motivator. :)

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5820 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 21 of 162
31 December 2012 at 9:15am | IP Logged 
OBJECTIVES FOR 2013

Italian:
Starting level: B2 (in progress)
Objective: a C1 in progress, with strong grammatical and conversational bases.

German:
Starting level: B2 exam taken and diploma obtained. Going to C2 classes. Ability to read books, but with vocabulary shortcomings. Shaky grammar, if expected level is taken into account. In average, I'd say a C1 in progress.
Objective: a strong C1 all around. In order to achieve this, I must really work on my vocabulary, as well as on idiomatic expressions (again). Must nail that grammar, too. I intend to attend classes until there are no more levels available. I'm also thinking about taking the C1 exam in June. I'm not sure yet, however.

Arabic:
Starting level: Officially, a C1 in progress. But this is just terminology. Until I review things, I'll be navigating between a strong A2 and a weak B2, depending on how one looks at it.
Objective: I'll digress a bit here: in the early 90's, I became enthusiastic about learning Arabic. Back then, it was nearly impossible to learn an "exotic" language in this country. I think Japanese was the only exception. Back to topic: some 15 years later, when "exotic" languages became fashionable, I finally started learning Arabic. My point: this is an old dream of mine and it's not going to go away. I will learn it to fluency, sooner or later. I just find it hard to put a deadline on the subject.

Other
It's the first time since I joined this forum that I'm going to mention another language. In fact, I've only reached this decision over this year that now ends. I've made up my mind: by the time I consider myself fluent in German and fairly advanced in Italian, I'll start learning my eighth language. I'll learn that one concurrently with Arabic. For the time being, that's all I have to say.

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4230 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 22 of 162
02 January 2013 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
Do you have any idea what that 8th language will be ?

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5820 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 23 of 162
02 January 2013 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
Tsopivo wrote:
Do you have any idea what that 8th language will be ?

It will depend on my interests at the time. I'm almost sure it will be an Asian one.

Could be one of the following (in alphabetical order): Japanese / Mandarin / Persian / Sanskrit / Sumerian / Tibetan / ...

This wish is:
- an old one (I've been entertaining it for some years);
- a serious one (it is unlikely I'll change my mind);
- not a teaser (I know this forum);
- flexible (if I should need another language, for professional reasons or otherwise, I'll learn that one instead).

Edited by Luso on 03 January 2013 at 6:28pm

Dagane
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4270 days ago

259 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishB2, Galician
Studies: German
Studies: Czech

Message 24 of 162
02 January 2013 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
I'd love to study Sumerian. I started to some years ago, after discovering a great graphic dictionary whose link I lost along with my old laptop... However, you must know that there're different ways to say (to write, and that's difficult) every concept. I guess that's because of the long survival of the language, regardless it's dead now. I guess the same applies for Mandarin, Persian and Sanskrit. Japanese has got different ways of writing by the way. No idea as for Tibetan.

This discussion contains 162 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version