Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4986 days ago

125 posts - 179 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, French
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 1 of 16
05 January 2012 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
I was talking to a friend of mine today and he pointed out that "people like me" aren't
exactly like everyone else when it comes to learning a language, and it got me
thinking.
I'm a big fan of FSI, but I have a hard time seeing someone who needs to learn just one
language for their job using it.

Does anyone know someone who was in this position? A friend or relative who doesn't
spend
hours a day learning multiple languages but still had to learn a language for work, say
Spanish for a retail job or if your company sends you abroad? How did they learn it?
Assimil? Pimsleur? Classes? Something else?

Edited by HenryMW on 05 January 2012 at 12:45am

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 16
05 January 2012 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
Classes or private tutors, I think. If nothing else then for motivation and socializing.

Practically everyone will tell you that it's impossible to learn a language on your own.
2 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5187 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 3 of 16
05 January 2012 at 3:14am | IP Logged 
I am someone who has been learning Spanish for a little over two years on about 30-60 minutes a day. I think the best way is to do Michel Thomas and Pimsleur followed by Assimil followed by FSI. That is more or less what I have done. I think Assimil would have been too difficult for me at the start and FSI would have been way too difficult to start with.

I do, however, know a number of other people like me learning Spanish and most of them are learning by taking night classes or using private tutors.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6515 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 16
05 January 2012 at 3:23am | IP Logged 
Normal people in Denmark learn English in school, and then they keep it alive because they can't avoid getting it stuffed down their throats - though some supplement this with evening courses. Normal people may have learnt other languages in school, but the sad truth is that it is becoming less and less normal to learn other languages than Danish and English - even though you might think that cheap travel opportunities and the internet would point in the other direction. FOr those who try to learn languages as adults the normal way would be evening courses, but I'm not too optimistic about the effect of those courses - maybe 20x2 hours during a semester with co-students who are as bad as themselves and who speak more in Danish than in the language they are supposed to learn.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5578 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 5 of 16
05 January 2012 at 7:33am | IP Logged 
How do you define being normal? Any person I know needs following to learn a language: A lot of motivation, a lot of effort and having to re-learn some parts of it in different situations or with different apporaches.
The only difference between me and many of my peers is that I find it easier to gather and sustain (positive) motivation simply because I think a language sounds cool or has intriguing features, which means I find it comparatively more easy to stay self-motivated.

(Can anybody explain to me why I used 'easier' and 'more easy' in one sentence and can't decide which I should change, if any?)

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6191 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 16
05 January 2012 at 7:53am | IP Logged 
It should be 'easier' in both cases but I can't tell you why.

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5377 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 7 of 16
05 January 2012 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
You will find 'more easy' being used in some writing (but not 'more easier') but it is considered a redundant usage as the comparison of adjectives should go easy, easier, easiest. However, stylistically most English children are taught to not use the same word twice in a sentence where possible, so the construction 'comparitively more easy' may be forgiven on stylistic grounds :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5823 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 8 of 16
05 January 2012 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
English comparatives are slowly changing.

The old rule used to be -er and -est everywhere.

The rule taught in books now is that monosyllabic words take -er and -est. Disyllabic words ending in a Y, where Y is the only vowel in the second syllable, also take -(i)er/-(i)est. (easiest, prettiest)

(You'll sometimes see a few exceptions (eg "commonest").)

As a lot of learners forget to use -iest and say "most -" instead, there's outside pressure changing habits in English. I'd encourage you to say "easiest" for now -- you're probably saying "more easy" because of other learners.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version