Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
18 messages over 3 pages: 1 2

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6515 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 18
05 January 2012 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the tip - I can use the section in Nynorsk of that dictionary to check my wild guesses, but I am still looking for a truly bilingual dictionary. Even Bokmål -> Nynorsk would do in a pinch.

And now back to the topic.

I have already written about my own language learning, but it occurred to me that there is one relevant notion which hasn't been mentioned yet. ProfArguelles once wrote about learning language families rather than isolated languages, and that is clearly what I have tried to do. You definitely need to learn each language or dialect (or writing standard) as an entity with its own ambiance, rules and vocabulary, but this only covers the active side. Learning language families belong to the passive side of language learning, but it is also part of at least my project. Looking actively for dialectal texts and texts in related languages and trying to read them is one of my favorites diversions. But precisely this kind of activity makes it totally impossible to say at definite number for languages and dialects I have dealt with, - especially when combined with a weakness for reading grammars and language guides to seemingly irrelevant languages. The only hardcore somewhat trustworthy number of languages you can give is the number of languages you have tried to use actively AFTER some serious study activity.

Edited by Iversen on 05 January 2012 at 10:31pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5265 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 18 of 18
05 January 2012 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Thanks for the tip - I can use the section in Nynorsk of that dictionary to check my wild
guesses, but I am still looking for a truly bilingual dictionary. Even Bokmål -> Nynorsk would do in a pinch.

I know I have seen some Bokmål–Nynorsk dictionaries, but I don't think they are very common and, therefore,
possibly a bit hard to find. If you could find an old one, from early 20th century, the Bokmål/Riksmål should be
quite close to Danish. On the other hand, the Nynorsk (or Landsmål) would be quite old fashioned too.

School children in Norway often use small orthographic dictionaries known as ordliste. The ones for Nynorsk
usually include a small Bokmål–Nynorsk dictionary at the end, normally known as a fornorskningstillegg. The
most popular is (or at least was) Nynorsk ordliste by Alf Hellevik.

Iversen wrote:
And now back to the topic.

I have already written about my own language learning, but it occurred to me that there is one relevant notion
which hasn't been mentioned yet. ProfArguelles once wrote about learning language families rather than isolated
languages, and that is clearly what I have tried to do. You definitely need to learn each language or dialect (or
writing standard) as an entity with its own ambiance, rules and vocabulary, but this only covers the active side.
Learning language families belong to the passive side of language learning, but it is also part of at least my
project. Looking actively for dialectal texts and texts in related languages and trying to read them is one of my
favorites diversions.

I think getting a passive understanding of the main dialects and variants of informal speech is really helpful for
strengthening your active skills in the standard language (or your dialect of choice). When you start interacting
with native speakers, you soon realise that what they say and how them express themselves does not always
conform to the standard language (and it is hard to practice your language if you don't understand what the
other person is saying). The same can actually be true for some closely related languages. If a foreigner comes to
Oslo after having studied Norwegian Bokmål, he or she will soon find out that many shop attendants and waiters
actually speak Swedish and not Norwegian.
2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version