justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4578 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 161 of 162
20 November 2014 at 6:16am | IP Logged 
@Solfrid Christin and Josquin: I know this is late but....thank you! I haven't
abandoned Russian and Japanese, but I've been moving at a snail's pace, what with
school commitments, another relocation, and all around adjustment. I've been mostly
reading and listening casually in Japanese, and at a much lower level n Russian, but
at least I was able to stay consistent. Unfortunately I haven't been doing anything
actively with the two, but I'm hoping that'll change soon as I settle into the new
routines. Here's to hoping.

Anyway, I'll try my best to show up regularly, keep my long-winded speeches to a
minimum, and share actually useful information. Miss the forum, and the days where I
was able to hang around here for hours learning new things and motivating myself.

In Japanese, currently reading Hakushaku to Yousei (light novels), Yuki wa Jigoku Ni
Ochiru Ka (Manga), and Shingeki no Kyojin (Manga and anime). Gasp, I know. For those
of you familiar with SnK, it's bloody and gory compared to the mushy romance of
shoujo. But still an excellent read. It's my obsession as of late. Even if I prefer
the SnK anime art to the actual manga art. And I'm someone who ALWAYS prefers manga
art over anime art, since, when manga gets adapted, they make the characters start to
look a bit more generic. Hmm. Anyone share the same opinion? I guess SnK art has to
give you the creeps to match the overall atmosphere, but I don't know. I think the
anime is shocking enough while keeping the art execution flawless. In either case,
though, the story is really unique, but wow, it's hard to read compared to manga in
general. I think it's all these political terms.

I also am watching a couple of Jdoramas for Abe Hiroshi. That man's a genius. I love
watching different works for him. I think he's such a versatile actor and meshes well
with many different roles.

I haven't really been feeling like listening to or reading the news. It's so
depressing. I just want to spend my free time doing something I enjoy in the language
I'm learning. I know I'll get that phase where I'll suddenly want to know what's going
on, but for now, I'll just kick back and relax and read more manga/LN :)

With Russian, it's mostly watching Masha on Youtube (it's a cartoon for kids, but I
like it :) ), and hoping to pick up the pace with Assimil (the 2011 version). Also I
have a couple of long, but easy readers that I'm currently working my way through. I
also like the stories I found at the Franklang website so I'm reading those too. Just
thumbing through any of these resources on any day if I feel like reading one over the
other. It's actually a good thing to not force myself to finish through a resource
once I start with it. I just realized it was ok to go back and forth between different
books, as long as I'm enjoying it, learning something new each day, and planning on
finishing them eventually. Hmmm... I wish I could get to the point in Russian where I
could rattle off authors and actors' names like it second nature, the way it is with
Japanese. I'm working on it.

So, I hope to try to work more on writing, speaking, and reading and listening more,
in both languages. I'm not sure when to do that exactly, so at least I'll try spending
some time on Lang-8 as a start. And then I'll decide where to go from there. And, of
course, more reading and listening!
1 person has voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4578 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 162 of 162
23 December 2014 at 7:46am | IP Logged 
Here's my summary for 2014.

I was not a good TAC'er this year. Not even remotely. Apart from a few disjointed
attempts at reading in Russian and Japanese, I have almost abandoned the two, and my
log reflects this. It's not for lack of motivation, though certainly it's because a
lot of sudden changes took place over a short period of time, and their impact left me
drained. But I have really sized up the situation, and the time I realistically have,
and have been steadily working to establish a routine over the past few months. I'm
glad to say it's working, so I'm definitely optimistic that 2015 will be THE year for
Russian and Japanese. I love my two dear friends, and I miss the time spent doing
actual learning, not to mention participating with everyone on the forum.

I will not be joining the Russian team for 2015, choosing to keep my focus on only one
team (East Asian) but I will still be working on Russian, and following your logs.
I'll also definitely update regularly on my progress.

I'll post this same summary on my log. I'm not sure yet whether to start a new one, or
keep the old one. I like the idea of a clean slate, but I hate to abandon my log,
especially in its current state of going south, and pretty darn fast. It feel like I'm
closing down a failure of a project. So, I'll think it over the next few days. In the
meantime, good luck, folks!

Edited by Woodsei on 23 December 2014 at 7:52am

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 162 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version