United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4582 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 121 of 162
28 February 2013 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
I'm posting a quick update, since it's been quite a while that I've visited the forum,
or done anything language-specific. My studies (and plans) fell through after the
January Tadoku, and 2013 hasn't been nice to me so far. I'm currently dealing with a
lot of family/job issues at the moment, and have been feeling flat and completely
deflated.

Well, I'm looking to getting back in the rhythm of things. I really miss languages, and
the generally positive atmosphere around here on the forum. Hopefully, I do better come
March! I didn't have time at all, and personally felt unmotivated, to join the February
6WC, but hopefully I'll try to do the next one, because they really were motivation
boosters, and I usually managed to have most of my accomplishments in those little
challenges :)

Ok, now for a status update.

1. Japanese

Well, that's basically been Tadoku. I managed to exceed my target goal of a thousand
pages read. The improvements I've noticed was that I starting to leave behind furigana
more and more. I'm still not there yet, and got a ways to go, but it's like, when I see
the same kanji in different contexts, I'm sort of developing a prediction on which
reading to use. I previously stated that I was going through RTK 2, but I lost steam,
and now simply read the furigana, then ignore it later on and try to read the kanji
without them. I also don't really look at it if I'm using an audiobook or an aural
source along with the text, and that actually is a lot easier than trying to actively
read the thing independently. So all in all, I'm slowly but surely getting there!

The second improvement really has to do with basic grammar. It's interesting how
structure I knew, are sort of becoming second nature, and these are all very basic
points. It keeps reminding me that going back to basics is certainly helpful. I guess
what I'm trying to say, as I read and listen, I actively think about the text, not
translation-wise, but how comprehensible it can be for me. This happens with the more
advanced grammar issues. But then I stop thinking about it and just get it, the more
I'm exposed to it, which in turn clarifies a very basic grammar point that I thought I
knew well, only to find a newer nuance in the structure in question. I don't know if
that made sense, but It's helping me understand better news and variety show-type
Japanese, where people speak like machine guns, and these two were previousy giving me
issues.

On the conversational front, speaking and writing have been completely non-existent,
and I really don't know what my level is like now, even though I had started to shadow
a lot, and a speak a few times, back i n December. But right now I just don't feel like
it at all, and just want to listen and read, so I'll stick to that for now.

2. Russian

I've started doing more and more Russian lately. I went back to Assimil, because over
at Mir, the cosmonaut team :), we decided that it's a text we can use for our Skype
meetings, along with others of personal choice. I haven't been on a meeting yet, but
I'm currently literally stalking the team thread looking to see if any session is
planned out so I could join. I'm thirsting to get some practice done, and these
meetings sort of help me keep on track for my studies. I've also started getting some
listening and reading done with a couple of graded readers, after which I have access
to children's stories on my computer, iPad, and a few paperbacks. I'm planning on
finishing that part this March, so that after that, I can start tackling some young
adult novels I have, as well as Harry Potter, Narnia, and others. I'm fluctuating, just
like Japanese, between saving sentences and words for later review, but mostly I have
been just listening and reading, and maybe shadowing a few times. たく, I've been
feeling so drained lately. Hope I snap out of it soon.

3. Hungarian

Zilch. I know, it's embarrassing, but between the previous two languages, school, and
looking for work, and all the other problems I have, I haven't been able to make any
room for it. I'm planning on working sporadically on the language through out the year,
and I'm not really committed t any long- or short-term goal, except that I hope I'm at
a better level towards December than I currently am in now.

So that's basically it. I'm looking forward to the gorgeous spring weather (not a big
fan of the impending heat, though), and really just hope that I manage to pull
everything back together, and keep on track language-wise.

Post soon!
1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4629 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 122 of 162
10 March 2013 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
Hey Woodsei,

I hope everything's well. It looks like you're making good progress in your languages. How's your Russian?

Успехов!

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4582 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 123 of 162
16 March 2013 at 12:55am | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Hey Woodsei,

I hope everything's well. It looks like you're making good progress in your languages.
How's your Russian?

Успехов!

Hi, Josquin!

I'm working my way through Assimil, both the 1950 and 2011 versions. The latter is
obviously more contrived, but I find that a plus since it doesn't require as much
effort, plus it's useful. I'm at a stage where I can understand very basic
conversations at normal speed easily, but I definitely get lost with more meaningful
discussions, TV/radio is way over my head, and speaking is non-existent. I'm trying to
focus more on passive understanding at the moment, because that worked great with me in
Japanese, but I feel I might be able to speak sooner in Russian. I may be wrong, I
don't know. We'll see!

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4582 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 124 of 162
25 March 2013 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
Another long-overdue update. I give up. 2013 hasn't been nice to me.

1. Russian:

Listening and reading has been mainly my focus this month. I managed to borrow a
Russian audiobook for both the first Harry Potter book, and the first book in the
Chronicles of Narnia. As I am kind of getting tired of Harry Potter right now (gasp!)
I'll start with the other book; I've always loved the series and it'll be interesting
trying that out in Russian. I'm up to Lesson 45 in Assimil, and no Skype meeting yet.
Unfortunately I haven't been following the forum much, or any thread, let alone update
mine. I really have to get back to that. I wish had more hours in the day...

2. Japanese:

Manga. I'm reading short stories and novellas, too, but I'm in a manga phase right now,
and I'm really enjoying it. I'm also working on a few grammar points everyday, mainly
as review to reinforce what I already know. I'm simply looking at structures in any
given day, and keeping an eye out for examples of said structure in my reading and
listening/TV. The other reason I'm spending time with more spoken forms of the language
is that I really want to get my speech up in skill, since I hope (I hope) that I might
be able to go to Japan as part of a research project for school the following year. But
so far it's just a hope.

3. Hungarian: Again, nothing yet :S

So basically, this is my update. I really should keep them this short, and update more
often.

またこんど!

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5132 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 125 of 162
26 March 2013 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:
Another long-overdue update. I give up. 2013 hasn't been nice to me.

[...]

Don’t give up! You’re not alone: 2013 hasn’t been kind to several of us so far, but I hope that we can still cheer one another up and offer moral support when things get tough!

And if languages languish somewhat compared to what we wanted to achieve at the beginning of the year, so be it. We’re in for the long haul and a few months of stagnation are not a big deal if deep down we still enjoy language learning.

Good luck with everything!
Emme

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4582 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 126 of 162
04 April 2013 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
@Emme: Thank you, Emme! I'm following your log too, and it's refreshing to see your
motivation, especially through all the start/stop periods. I'm plodding through, and I
have to say, it ain't easy! But I'm finally back to being able to devote sometime
language-wise, as well as see how all my teammates are doing.

Update:1

I'm finally managing to get a grip on time spent for languages, after some months of
school- and family-related issues. I've mostly been reading for Japanese, for the most
part manga and some grammar, as it's low-key and not so brain-intensive as reading
books, or working on my writing. Other languages haven't fared so well. So now I'm back
to set some mini-goals (week-long ones) in an attempt at getting things done. That and
time-boxing should help.

1. Russian: Try to finish 7 Assimil lessons and review the previous ones, as well as
read a children's book.

2. Japanese: Read a series of short stories for Miyazawa Kenji, vocab on Anki, and
review some grammar points while trying to use them to write a journal entry, probably
on Lang-8.

3. German and Spanish: I'm adding in two more languages to the mix, for both school and
personal reasons. I still don't have a plan or resources for either yet, so any
suggestions would be appreciated, and hopefully I'll try to do some research this week
and see what I come up with. I'm guessing that shouldn't be too hard to find, given the
insane popularity of both languages.

4. Hungarian: I'm putting it on the back-burner for a while, simply because of time
commitments and my preoccupation with the above-mentioned ones, but I haven't abandoned
it. I'm hoping soon enough I'll be able to free some time for this beautiful language.

I hope that through setting some short-term goals I'll be able to stick to schedule, as
well as be able to record the time I spend on any one language. I guess I feel like
doing so because I'm busy with school and family commitments, and would like to see if
I need to scale my plans down to bite-sized chunks, or do more if I can handle it.

I like keeping my posts shorter, since that allows me more time for both language-
learning and following other logs, as well as sticking to posting more regularly.

As usual, great being back again!

'Later!

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5767 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 127 of 162
04 April 2013 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
Welcome back Woodsei!

I just love how you've decided you're too busy for Hungarian, so are picking up two other languages instead!

I'm enjoying working with Assimil's German With Ease and finding it surprisingly helpful, even though the dialogues are pretty quirky in their entirety, they seem packed full of useful little phrases. I also highly recommend all the free stuff aimed at beginners on Deutsche Welle's website. I've been working through the podcast courses Radio D and Warum Nicht. I decided to go for a paper textbook over their online textbook Deutsch Interaktiv though - in terms of content it's great, but I just prefer the look, smell and feel of dead tree in my hands...

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6405 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 128 of 162
05 April 2013 at 6:40am | IP Logged 
I'm using FSI Programmatic for Spanish. It is available for free. However I just checked the site and it seems to be down. Hopefully they will get it back up again soon. I've seen it down several times before and it's always come back.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 05 April 2013 at 6:40am

This discussion contains 162 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version