Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6400 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 97 of 162
26 September 2012 at 8:11am | IP Logged 
I was wondering where you'd gotten to. I had seen that you were still active in the Super Challenge and now I've just found out you were busy winning the 6WC. So I imagine you've learned tons of Japanese, while I've just been lazy.

Anyway, welcome back!
1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5762 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 98 of 162
26 September 2012 at 8:58am | IP Logged 
Welcome back! Although you've been doing so much study I guess you've never been away. I think I need to follow your example and post less and study more!

I'm really curious about your 6wc results though. After putting in over 280 hours of Japanese in that period, what effect did it have on your ability? I know it can be tough to self evaluate, but I'm still curious!

It's great that you've found someone you can practice with. It really starts to bring the language alive and once you get over the nerves it's really good fun.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4577 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 99 of 162
27 September 2012 at 6:44am | IP Logged 
@Brun_Ugle: i did spend a lot of time with Japanese, and it was a mix of new and old. I did learn tons, but I
still got a ways to go! Welcome back, though! You were away for some time, it got me wondering what you've
been up to. Looking forward to your log and blog updates!

@g-bod: Thank you! I really wish I'd post more regularly, but that past month was a glorious mess of school
and to-do lists. I kept my iPod stuck on though :) I think it's great, too, that I found someone to practice with.
Can't wait to see how that will change things. I agree, conversing in Japanese with someone is tons of fun :)
After all that time in Japanese I feel like I can understand almost everything that I'm listening to. Not just the
gist, but the individual words. I can also understand it automatically with straining to remember or translate. I
still slip on idiomatic expressions and specialized vocabulary, though, like economics terms and whatnot that
you hear on news, and that's expected, since I haven't really been doing much of either reading and listening
to news, or reading lots of novels. Most have been manga, children's books, anime, and drama. I know that
the latter matters more, since you use it in everyday conversations, but it's great to know all the special
vocabulary and synonyms, idioms, and the like. It makes you sound smarter too :)

I'll be jumping over to your logs now! :)

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4828 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 100 of 162
27 September 2012 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:
iPod and listened almost all day [ ...] iPad on me all the time

Haha! Walking around with an iPod and an iPad... now you just need an iPwn and an iSmack to have the whole collection. xD

Woodsei wrote:
focus on intonation, pronunciation, and body language

intonation and body language seems crucial ._. have you mastered yet the art of smiling when deep in your heart what you truly want to do is punching the person you're talking to?

Woodsei wrote:
I actually feel somewhat relieved practicing with her before
jumping ship in native waters, but I'm not going to let that deter me from seeking native speakers

In my experience it must be helpful, ah! I couldn't even choose the right word for "know" when chatting with natives (think of 分かります vs. 知っています). I say it was quite frustrating, but no one urges me to get to grasps with producing valuable output.

Woodsei wrote:
realized I'm starting to get the gist of the report, rather than just understand a few isolated words

so cool! O_O

Woodsei wrote:
researching the history and evolution of the language simply out of interest

I realized not all time need to be spent on learning languages. If one feels like exploring stuff like that, than why not? ._.

Woodsei wrote:
my next European visit

When? :D

Woodsei wrote:
I realize I'm not really talking about useful things, and simply giving an account on how I spend time with each
language

It's useful since seeing determination helps one be more committed.

Edited by Takato on 27 September 2012 at 9:49am

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4577 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 101 of 162
29 September 2012 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
Takato wrote:
Woodsei wrote:
iPod and listened almost all day [ ...] iPad on me all
the time

Haha! Walking around with an iPod and an iPad... now you just need an iPwn and an
iSmack to have the whole collection. xD

I do realize how incredibly corny that sounds, lol :D Well, I got both as gifts and
they were put to good use. My friends saw me walking around with my headphones either
in my ear or around my neck and told me I look like a teenager :D

Takato wrote:

Woodsei wrote:
focus on intonation, pronunciation, and body language

intonation and body language seems crucial ._. have you mastered yet the art of smiling
when deep in your heart what you truly want to do is punching the person you're talking
to?

I guess you can never really master doing that, it always shows on your face. The only
time I think that works is if the other party is completely oblivious to how you feel!

Takato wrote:

Woodsei wrote:
I actually feel somewhat relieved practicing with her before
jumping ship in native waters, but I'm not going to let that deter me from seeking
native speakers

In my experience it must be helpful, ah! I couldn't even choose the right word for
"know" when chatting with natives (think of 分かります vs. 知っています). I say it was quite
frustrating, but no one urges me to get to grasps with producing valuable output.

Yeah, choosing the right words, that ever elusive issue. Although I think it stops
being elusive and becomes intuitive after some high-quality immersion with native
speakers. On the one hand, practicing with a foreign-language fluent speaker maybe less
stressful than actual native speakers, but on the other hand, I think native speakers
won't be as judgemental. I'm more self-conscious practicing with my relative than with
a native speaker. I don't know why, maybe because we're both essentially foreign-
language learners?

Takato wrote:

Woodsei wrote:
researching the history and evolution of the language simply out of
interest

I realized not all time need to be spent on learning languages. If one feels like
exploring stuff like that, than why not? ._.

Right? :D

Takato wrote:

Woodsei wrote:
my next European visit

When? :D

If I can get in either a study abroad class or an internship in my program, it might be
in the coming winter or summer semesters. I hope! And I'm dying to visit Japan T_T

Takato wrote:

Woodsei wrote:
I realize I'm not really talking about useful things, and simply giving
an account on how I spend time with each
language

It's useful since seeing determination helps one be more committed.

Thank you!

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4577 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 102 of 162
02 October 2012 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
Since my last post, I haven't done anything with languages whatsoever. I guess I'm
posting to motivate myself again. I feel so flat, and overwhelmed by a lot of things that
have been going on. Sigh. I hope I get out of that bubble soon.

On the bright side, I'm still watching Japanese anime, it's all I can handle at this
point, and it's really uplifting. Hopefully after I post this, I'll be able to look at
something.

I realize how corny I sound after I said before that my next post would hopefully be more
useful :P

じゃあ、ね!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5114 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 103 of 162
07 October 2012 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
Hey, your posts are always useful. If for nothing else, if the overwhelmingly successful Woodsei has to take a
little break, then the rest of us have a good excuse as well. It looks like the entire team Sputnik have had to
take a little break. Let us get the machine going again!

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4577 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 104 of 162
24 October 2012 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
@SolfridChristin: Thank you, fellow cosmonaut! It's always uplifting, reading your
encouraging posts :) I miss my fellow Team Sputnik comrades, too, and I hope we get
rolling in the final homestretch of the 2012 TAC. Wow, I just realized, this year just
FLEW by.

This discussion contains 162 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version