614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 89 of 162
07 August 2012 at 4:08am | IP Logged 
Alright, HTLAL is back! Pretty cool. What's not cool is after I spent a 3 hours
updating my log the last time, I find it's all gone now :S I guess I'll have to
summarize my steps again.

Thanks to everyone who commented above regarding my move. It took me some time to get
back in the swing of things, and even though I've been keeping up with both Japanese
and Russian, it was pretty low key. But since the 6WC started and that whole fiasco
with HTLAL happened, I was back in the rhythm of things and have been reevaluating my
plans and track history of my studies.

What I basically have been doing, as I posted in my last updated, is that back in May,
when I started using a set of graded readers that are all in Japanese, but that start
from zero and go all the way up. This gave me the idea that I could grade whatever I
use from native materials if I want to eliminate translations, since they were giving
me a headache. I mean, it really helps knowing the meaning in English, and still
occasionally do English look ups, but it was alright for single words or short phrases.
When it comes to long, compound sentences, it was clarifying the gist, sure, but
getting in the way of my actual processing of Japanese. I felt that everytime I started
getting used to how Japanese works, as soon as I read the English translation, poof,
and there goes Japanese.

So I've been grading my materials and took a purely Tadokist approach to Language
learning. Reading, lots and lots of it, and I have started with picture books for
baies/toddlers that go up gradually. I had ordered a few time from Amazon Japan a
number of books, novels and manga, and the books that are the most elementary are a set
of science books for grade schoolers and a children's Encyclopedia that explains how to
use or do things. Since I'm putting down the dictionary, I need another contextual
reference to point out the meaning, and pictures do that. So I've started using a lot
of visual clues, which are abundant in children's books. And these books got tons of
vocabulary, too. I'm still just starting with them. I also came across this blog
online/">here which discusses Tadoku in great detail, and the link I provided has
a lot of useful sites for reading extensively. The blog's a goldmine, so check it out
if you'd like to. It helped me a lot.

Apparently, the Japanese have a word for extensive listening, Tachou たちょう、so that's
what I've been doing most of the time. I'm watching NHK because it has a lot of show-
and-tell variety shows like children's shows, documentaries, cooking shows, sports,
etc. It's awesome because you get to spend time with the culture while you learn
Japanese, and these all rely on visual clues. I've been learning a lot, and I'm
content.

In the post I made that was gone after HTLAL went down, I mentioned that I haven't been
using Anki except for kanji review and study. I'm going to use it again, but for less
time. I've realized that when I know a word for the first time, I don't forget it, and
that lots of repetition and exposure doesn't make me know it better, but moves it from
my passive memory to the active one where I can produce it. I've noticed that while my
understanding has been skyrocketing, my ability to produce is still very low; it's like
I almost draw a blank if I want to respond. Later, I'm able to figure out what to say,
but at the very moment I need to, it's still quite low. So I decided to look into doing
something that would help me get all that I know forward to that I'm able to speak and
write. I'll try self talk, shadowing, Lang-8, and Anki. The things I've covered with
Anki seem to come immediately forwards, so maybe that's why it's so effective. I've
also notice that simply coming across something many times while I'm listening and
reading does the same thing, so repetition is key, not to know, but to produce, I
think. What I'm going to to put all my insecurities regarding production to rest is try
out, this week, a number of approaches in addition to what I've already been doing, and
see how effective they will be. I'll start shadowing, Anki for a few minutes each day,
and I'll see whether doing any textbook exercise will be useful. I already can
recognize most of the grammar points, and make correct guesses at the remaining few
without looking them up, but I'll test these exercises to see if they can help me start
writing/speaking a little. We'll see how that goes, and then I'll update my log again
in a week with my observations. Let's hope HTLAL doesn't go up in smoke again. I
learned a good lesson, and that is to back up my log in order to reference it later,
should I need to.

I've been doing more Russian, now, and I'm happy I'm finally spending a lot of time
with it too, because I'm covering ground now. I've started with easy readers,
children's books, and it has been going great. I'm still working my way through it, and
we'll see if I need to study grammar actively using a textbook or not down the road. Bu
id on't seem to be having any problems for now. And I'm using translations. For
Japanese, I decided that, if I want to read a book like Harry Potter, I'll just read
the English very well, then put that aside and focus on the Japanese. I won't get
confused like that. Or I might do what I do if I use subtitles to watch a show- listen
first then quickly skim the English. I'm watching anime/drama/TV/films without
subtitles now, but I use them if I'm particularly tired and can't do any guesswork, and
this is what I do when I do use subs.

I've watched the Olympic opening ceremony on NHK, and it was very beautifully well
done. I think it was personal for me because, who doesn't know Mr.Bond, or James Bean,
or Harry Potter, or the British culture in general? I grew up surrounded by all of
that, and lots more, so it was very nostalgic watching the ceremony. My favorite parts
were the Olympic rings and Torch lighting scenes. Very beautiful. And I was listening
and learning to Japanese at the same time, which proved extremely useful, since they
were describing what was happening on the screen and saying tons of things, and I was
able to follow along for the most part and learn new words too :)

I've also given in finally to wanderlust and spent a few minutes on some Hungarian and
Greek. The sounds are fascinating, and I've always wanted to learn both. I also want to
resume French and German, but maybe I'll give 30 minutes a day for some these
languages, nothing too strict. I still have no idea where or how to start with
Hungarian and Greek, so I'll look around for a while and see what I could find. It's
easier for French and German, since these are widely popular languages. But I had a
great time, though, and I'll try to see what I can do about it.

Well, that's basically what I wrote before. I hope this doesn't disappear as well. Now
back to some more studying.

じゃ、また!
1 person has voted this message useful

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4835 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 90 of 162
07 August 2012 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
Nice progress you got there!
Interesting thought's on how you do the Russian learning and how you use English subtitles for Japanese media.
It'll be interesting to see your opinion of Lang-8.
As for Hungarian, I suggest you take a look at the German language for beginners page. You should check out the "Német nyelvtan" (German grammar) part as well. There are some good starts on the basic grammar of the Hungarian language (like cases). I suggest you use Tatoeba, too. (Like looking up sentences with "because", "but", "in order to", "better" and what not.

Edited by Takato on 07 August 2012 at 10:19am

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4584 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 91 of 162
07 August 2012 at 10:34am | IP Logged 
Thanks, Takato! I'll head over there and take a look at the website. Thanks for the
tips, too. Those connectors are always so useful to know early on, I agree.

I don't know if I actually got there. I mean, I seem to be alright with following along
pretty well, but then I'm lost and totally lose confidence in myself and how I study. I
seem to handling that pretty well, now, though, and tell myself to just keep going.

The reason I use translations for Russian is because I don't have a lot of resources at
the moment. I have lots of books without translations, so I'm definitely gonna have to
let go of them soon, but for now, I only have Youtube and a number of readers that
either have translations or a glossary at the back with all the definitions. I tried to
start with Assimil early on, and I love the series and how they ease language learning
while actually teach you something and take you beyond beginner, but my problem is that
I don't stick for long to textbooks, and native material can hold my interest for long,
even if it involves reading lots of toddler books. And I WILL have to access native
sources eventually either way. So there. I don't know, I might definitely need to
access a grammar guide at some point. It's just that with my experience with learning
Japanese, grammar is better studied later than from the get go, because by then you're
used to the language and can recognize it, and the explanations would make sense rather
than confuse you. Even then, just looking up the structures and reading a couple of
examples is enough. That's how it is to me, at least. Speaking and writing will
improve by actually speaking and writing, so I need to get more of that done.

I'm allowing myself sometime a day for other languages, but it doesn't necessarily mean
I will stick to it. I'm telling myself that knowing one or two languages to a high
level is better than being allover the place and nowhere at all in terms of
proficiency. That said, I really want to study Hungarian, Greek, German and French, at
least after I'm confident with my Japanese.

Good luck to you, it seems you're doing really well with Japanese and Chinese!

がんばってね!

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4584 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 92 of 162
07 August 2012 at 10:37am | IP Logged 
Whoops the above link doesn't seem to be working. Here it is again:

http://joechip.net/extensivereading/2011/06/15/extensive-rea ding-material-online/

This is a blog page that lists lots of useful site for Japanese Tadoku, and lots of very
basic children's books, if you can stomach it :) I can :)

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4835 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 93 of 162
07 August 2012 at 11:29am | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:
lose confidence

I don't stick for long to textbooks, and native material can hold my interest for long

I'm allowing myself sometime a day for other languages, but it doesn't necessarily mean I will stick to it. I'm telling myself that knowing one or two languages to a high level is better than being allover the place and nowhere at all in terms of
proficiency. That said, I really want to study Hungarian, Greek, German and French, at
least after I'm confident with my Japanese.

Good luck to you, it seems you're doing really well with Japanese and Chinese!

がんばってね!

No time investment is well enough.

As for French and German, I thought of Spanish words when wanting to think of German words lately, and after spending about 4 hours watching anime with German subs, most of it came back, so, for the languages who only need maintenance, I think an hour a week might be just enough.

There's no use in losing confidence. I suggest you watch Moses' channel when having a lost confidence. I suggest you watch this one video no matter if you're confident or not, since in that video, it's broken down well how to learn multiple languages at once.

I don't stick to textbooks too long, either. But then I generally don't stick to anything, so I don't know.

What's a high level in a language? What about not having a high level nor being all over the place but somewhere in-between?

Thanks for the luck. My luck level is increasing. \(^o^)/ Luck to you as well. Good learning at your Japanese, too. (*¬*)

Edited by Takato on 07 August 2012 at 11:30am

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4584 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 94 of 162
11 August 2012 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
@Takato: Thanks for the great advice and the pep talk, I really appreciate it. You do
have a point about studying multiple languages. I guess it's because Japanese is so
special to me that I want to be awesome at it, lol. But I also want to learn many other
languages, a lot that I find fascinating, so it's good to time management into account.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4584 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 95 of 162
12 August 2012 at 8:01am | IP Logged 
I'm taking a short break from languages to make little post. At least I hope it's a
little, I tend to ramble on like no other when I write.

Japanese

So, I decided to get out of that rut called losing confidence, and continue doing what
I do, because I know it works. I'm reading lots, still reading children's books, but I
can tell I'm getting better everyday, because when I watch an anime or drama I can make
out more and more of what's being said. Of course, I'm also watching drama/anime/tv.
I'm looping what I listen to now, more, though, because I found that looping the audio
has a better effect on my ability to speak. The next day, I feel like I can say the
conversations much easier. I also started shadowing a little, and there is definitely
merit in that. What I found I liked to do more in regards to that, was to repeat
conversations in anime and drama, more so than in audiobooks. I don't know, maybe it's
because conversations in anime/drama are more interesting than reading aloud an
expository piece, and I feel I can relate more to what I'm saying, and thus pronounce
it better.

I'm using Anki to drill some words/collocations/sentences, but I'm not letting myself
go beyond an hour daily with it. It's sustainable that way, and still leaves me time to
read, watch, and listen all day to Japanese without burning out. I'm trying to learn
the readings of kanji, but not in isolation, through words and sentences that I come
across in my reading and listening. I noticed something very useful regarding the
readings. Say, for instance, I'm watching an anime episode, and have been figuring out
words from context or through looking them up. I then look at the script/subs, without
the audio playing in the background. I find myself able to read the kanji without the
help of furigana, simply because I have listened to it before in the episode and know
the meaning of the word. Another example is if I already know the collocations, or what
words go together from spoken speech, I can usually read the kanji without seeing the
reading before, or even the kanji itself. 雨が降っている as a simple example. I know the
kanji for "ame," but not "futteiru," but I heard it before, so I can tell the reading
and meaning of the kanji for raining when seeing it in written context, with or without
knowing them previously. This is a very simple example to get my point across, of
course everyone studying Japanese knows these words. I guess what I'm trying to say is
knowing what words go together/collocations, and sounds through listening lots helps
tons with kanji readings.

Speaking of drama and anime, for drama I'm currently following "Trick," which I think
is very good, and for anime, currently "Sword Art Online." I didn't like the first two
episodes of SAO at first, because they didn't touch on the gravity of the situation
(players trapped in an online game, and if they die in the game, they die in real
life,) but it really picked up from the third episode onward. I like it a lot now, so
I'll keep watching it. The other two I really like are "Hyouka" and "Tari Tari," and of
course, all the old favorites like "Naruto." I find that story manga/anime can be more
interesting than long-running mainstream ones, though.

Hungarian

I finally broke down and decided to study Hungarian. I'm only keeping it at 30 minutes
a day, as best as I can, though, because I'm still focusing on Japanese, and Russian. I
haven't done much, simply reading some phrases online and listening to them. I also
found an audio book, "Egri Csillagok," a historical novel by Géza Gárdonyi, which is
published as "Eclipse of the Crescent Moon" in English. From what I could find out it's
a pretty interesting story, so I'm trying to read the translation/look up words, and
read/listen to it. I'm still debating whether to read up on the grammar or wait a
little. My experience doing that with Japanese has been confusing, and I understood the
grammar better after spending sometime with the language first through reading lots of
sentences, and watching drama/anime, so I don't know. I'm still starting out, so
hopefully I'll be able to figure all that out soon. I also found a reader, with audio,
as well as a coursebook, on the FSI site, but my guess is that I'll immediately use the
reader :) The course looks very thorough, though. I don't know. I'll find out in time.

Russian

I'm using a children's audio book application I found on iTunes on my iPad. It has a
bunch of stories with audio and translations in French, German, Russian, and English.
Cool, ね. I'm also reading some example sentences for the grammar points I do look up,
and basically keeping up with listening and reading on a daily basis. I'm looking into
some conversational sources, though, because I'm interested in the spoken language as
well as the written one.

These were my past few days in a nutshell.

また!

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4584 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 96 of 162
26 September 2012 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
It's been over a month since my last post, but I have been getting ready to get into the flow of things at
school. I was also  traveling around on trips, and I had a great time visiting family and friends, but thankfully I
was able to put in magnanimous amounts of time in Japanese, while keeping a moderately steady pace with
Russian and Hungarian. Most of it has been listening and reading, neither of which needed me to be glued to
the computer or an Internet connection. I just synced audio/video with my iPod and listened almost all day
while I was doing other things. And I kept my books and iPad on me all the time, so I could read on the go.
Things have been more or less the same with how I have been studying, but I've been trying to do a few
different things here and there.

Japanese/日本語

Recently, I've decided to read out loud some Japanese every day. I don't have a set time limit or page count,
I just read as much as I can, and focus on intonation, pronunciation, and body language. I shadow, too. I just
pretend I'm an actress who's auditioning for a role by reading a script. Another thing that helps is that I try to
imagine a very simple situation and make up a conversation or a description for it. Like for instance
describing a recent trip, or something. I've only been doing this for a few days, but I feel that what I've been
reading and listening to all this time is starting to come forward. I know the material, but my problem was
being able to produce it on the fly automatically without thinking. I realized that just like tennis, for example, if
you watch enough matches, AND practice enough serves, something like swinging the racket becomes
second nature. At least in my case, a while back. I also read a book, The Talent Code, which stresses that
deliberate slow practice repeatedly produces good results and mastery of a anything you might spend time
with, not just sports, and that makes sense to me. 

On a side note, I think I mentioned before having a relative who has majored in Japanes language and area
studies as an undergraduate, and has been to Japan, and recently I've been spending a lot of time working
on other projects with her, plus all the family gatherings, and the subject of Japanese came up and she
offered to help. We agreed that we can start doing a mix of conversations, pronunciation and intonation drills
through reading aloud, asking me to describe things, or talk about almost everything, cultural tips,
word/phrase usage, like what is normally said, as opposed to what can sound
artificial/wrong/polite/impolite/native sounding not textbooks, etc. Good thing I haven't been spending any
time with textbooks, but it's always useful to know the differences. I only just spent one session with her, and
it's been an immense help. All the shadowing/reading and self talk, coupled with conversation time has been
really bringing my Japanese forward, at least what I've been doing actively so far. Plus we're both close in
age so we can talk about all sorts of cool things :) I actually feel somewhat relieved practicing with her before
jumping ship in native waters, but I'm not going to let that deter me from seeking native speakers to practice
and make friends with. 

I've also gone back to working on kanji readings, as that was on the back burner for a while now, and it's
really refreshing. Other than that, I'm still watching anime/drama, listening to radio, watching NHK shows and
documentaries, and reading all the manga and light novels that have been cropping up over the months.
Well, manga, not yet novels, but I've gotten around to doing it.

Russian/Pу́сский

I had a huge motivational boost a few days ago when I turned on a newscast online in Russian and realized
I'm starting to get the gist of the report, rather than just understand a few isolated words here and there. I'm
working at a slow but steady rate with Russian, averaging 30 minutes daily, and jumping between Assimil and
LR, but I've been trying to extend my resources to places like YouTube and online news, since I've been
neglecting that or a while now. A very excellent and admirable fellow cosmonaut on Team Sputnik posted a
ling for full-length features in Russian on YouTube that I thought was immensely helpful and would like to
share here, in case anyone wants to know and hasn't visited the team thread already. Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mosfilm?feature=results_main
Thanks, Tecktight!

Hungarian/Magyar

I'm really loving this language. It's still in it's larva stage of development, and I've been slowly building
momentum, and repeating lots of lessons in Assimil, but I'm having lots of fun. To an extent, the rate is similar
to that of Russian, and I haven't really started exploring native content yet. I guess I'm just letting it sink in,
and I'm pretty content with taking a relaxed approach to the language. I've also been playing an audiobook
randomly throughout the day to get used to the sounds and flow of the language, as well as researching the
history and evolution of the language simply out of interest. I'm currently reading up on the culture and
country, happily bookmarking away all the places I want to see when I embark on my next European visit,
which hopefully would include Hungary :D

I realize I'm not really talking about useful things, and simply giving an account on how I spend time with each
language, so I'll hopefully work on posting some worthwhile content in my coming posts. 

Till then!

This discussion contains 162 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version